back to article Acer suffers terrible let-down after unexpected withdrawal of Wang

Shares of Acer fell by their daily limit in Taiwan after the company announced that chief exec JT Wang was abandoning ship and it was going to cut seven per cent of its staff to try to save some money. Acer stocks opened the session already down 6.9 per cent, the maximum they are allowed to fall in any one trading session, to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Monkey Bob
    Happy

El Reg headline writers...

I can't work out if you've just hit new heights, dug to new depths, neither, or both.

Congratulations anyway.

1. Rob 5
      Thumb Up

Re: El Reg headline writers...

Truly, it was teh awesome!

2. Mephistro
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: El Reg headline writers...

Yep! Best ElReg headline EVER!!!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"6.9 per cent, the maximum they are allowed to fall in any one trading session"

Wait, you can do that? Could I set my company's to zero? That'd certainly help lower shareholder risk...

1. Charles 9

According to my research, Acer trades on the Taiwan Stock Exchange, and this is their specific limit. Most trading markets have what are called "curbs" meant to prevent runaway activity (and note, the curbs usually apply in BOTH directions). These are applied across the board so are applicable to ALL stocks in a given market. It's not meant as a protection so much as a brake or a circuit breaker. If a stock really is behaving that bad, it will just continue to trade down in the next session, but if it's the victim of a fluke event or something they can remedy, the curb provides a little breathing room to let cooler heads prevail.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Hmm - I've known about circuit breakers for a while (I understand that Tesla tripped one on the NASDAQ today after moronic investors first whipped themselves into a frenzy by predicting how much Tesla would beat analysts predictions, and then selling like mad when Tesla failed to beat the predictions by as much more as predicted. Yes, really) - but I figured they usually worked on something more subtle than "Oh, you dropped 6.5% today; call it a night then". Now I'm gonna have to see if I can find out how the NASDAQ and Dow breakers are triggered... God damn, it's gonna be a hell of a party tonight! Yeah!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Acer suffer from...

Wang withdrawal syndrome

5. Azzy
    Joke

Why's the stock falling?

Acer's been getting fucked for years, I'd think the shareholders would be happy to see the wang pulling out...

6. Aitor 1

They should cut the bad quality and/or unsupported lines

But problem is, that includes their whole range..

Maybe if they realeased updated drivers, made ok quality products, etc, they wouldn't be in this situation...

1. Alain

Re: They should cut the bad quality and/or unsupported lines

They're not doing that bad in the smartphone/tablet market IMHO.

Their Liquid E2/Z3 smartphones have a pretty impressive features/price ratio, and their build quality is way superior to the chinese rebrands.

The latest incarnation of their entry-level Iconia B1-710 tablet seems to be selling quite well too.

2. Charles 9

Re: They should cut the bad quality and/or unsupported lines

I know people keep ribbing about netbooks, but I rather like the Aspire One I have, especially now with a triple-capacity battery on it. It's computing on the quick when I need it while not being too big to lug around all over the place the way a full-sized notebook would. I may switch over the OS in future, but for now, it's a case of something that isn't really broken--finicky at times (the resolution, mostly) but not broken.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hey Lewis - we need a "best of El Reg's headlines" article

Every few months you guys come up with one like this that should be saved for posterity. I'm sure I've forgotten many over the years, and would love to be reminded of them again!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like