back to article 'Last EVER REAL Nokia' phone heads for Verizon, leaky pic-spurt reveals

What may be Nokia’s last ever phone – the Lumia 929 – has broken cover, but you won’t be able to buy it here in Blighty. Nokia has a full range of kit ready for 2014, but with the transfer of its phones unit to Microsoft, it’s anyone’s guess as to how the devices will be branded. Which means Nokia’s exclusive-to-Verizon 929 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 35

'Last EVER REAL Nokia' phone

I think that happened quite some time ago.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 'Last EVER REAL Nokia' phone

The N9 was the last proper Nokia phone, before they want all Microsoft with the Lumia diaster.

1. Spearchucker Jones

Dude that's starting to get really tired. Disaster how? Whatever your feelings towards Microsoft and their OS, be grateful that there's a third (albeit small) credible player in this market. Keeps them all honest, and drives innovation. Your own choice of device/OS can only but benefit.

1. Anonymous Coward
          WTF?

@ Spearchucker Jones

"and drives innovation

I'm sorry but, by innovation from Microsoft you mean what? Being around 2 years behind the others in terms of features and functionality?

1. Lamont Cranston

@JahBless

I would hope that the presence of Microsoft in the phone OS market would drive its competitors to greater innovation. It'd be nice to think that Microsoft/Nokia are also innovating, in order to increase their desirability among consumers (pointless sniping aside, I'd expect that they are).

2. Matt_payne666

@JahBless

Innovation is a personal thing, but comparing them to say apple, moving from a grid of small icons (my palm III had the same launcher as iOS) to resizable icons showing live data is different from the rest of the phones out there...

Wireless charging and NFC, Optical Image stabilisation, colourful polycarbonate bodies, ceramic buttons, bluetooth file transfers, internet tethering as standard, HD displays, Wide range HMR microphones.......

innovation is surely lacking from microsoft/Nokia...

3. Spearchucker Jones

@JahBless I said innovation. I didn't say from whom. I know I didn't, because I was there when I didn't.

But hey, if you want to talk about innovation from Microsoft and Nokia, try a 41Mbp camera. Or an outlier like the magnetic keyboard catch on the Surface. More mainstream? OneNote + pen.

Compared to a *barometer*? Or a finger print reader. Yeah. That's REAL innovation, innit.

2. MIc

If by "disaster" you mean the fastest growing mobile platform then ya sure...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Let's look at facts.

WP has seen a decrease in market share. Guess what, so did Symbian.

Symbian went from 100 million devices to 134 million from 2008 to 2009. The last full quarter before the burning platform memo, more Symbian handsets were sold compared to a year ago. Look at a year basis, WP does not even equal what Symbian sold per quarter. The net increase year over year saw with Symbian (34 million) is more than what WP sales in a year. So, side by side, Symbian has a larger net increase year over year than total devices sold by WP. So WP would never have gone past Symbian if it wasn't for the burning platform memo; even then Symbian still sold more for over a year than WP.

So when Microsoft touts fastest growing, you have to look at what was used. Microsoft didn't go with market share as that has decreased. They used their own previous sales numbers. Well, if I sold one phone last quarter and then 5 phones this quarter, that was a 500% increase. The fact is, only six phones were sold. So statistics can be used to hide the facts.

3. Danny 5

I still have an N9 and will keep it alongside my 6310i. I fail to see why the Microsoft with Lumia was a disaster, as it's gaining more and more ground. Winphone is getting close to Apple in Europe, because people are starting to find out they're actually pretty damn good devices.

I hate Apple and like to flame them, but i'm not so jaded as to think all their products are crap, so how about admitting to the fact that winphone and Nokia is a good combo and will probably grow a lot more.

1. RyokuMas

+1 for mature attitude

2. JDX Gold badge

Don't these giant corporate sales generally take ages to actually go through... e.g. the news reports "MS has bought Skype" but it has to go through regulatory procedures and so on. Has MS already bought Nokia... if not do we know when it will be finalised?

1. Sir Sham Cad

MS has not already bought Nokia as I think there's a shareholders meeting coming up later this month to decide whether or not to give it the OK.

Then there may be regulatory and legal stuff to do so I wouldn't think anything would be done and dusted before Easter.

1. Tom 35

They may not own them yet...

But the trojen badger has been in place for some time.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Right, they haven't. But doesn't that raise the question of: If Nokia isn't maning the R&D ship, who the hell is? Someone has to be making the calls, but for whom? If neither is currently doing any R&D at all, when in the hell is there going to be another product...2020? Now if one of them is, who's bottom line is that affecting, and is it affected before or after the deal goes through?

3. Daniel B.
    Meh

Meh.

The 'last ever real Nokia' phone released was the last one that carried Symbian. The MS-powered abortions were the beginning of MS borging and thus don't count as true Nokias.

4. Fihart

Would Microsoft dump the Nokia name when it's still the best known brand in the cellphone market ?

1. dogged

Because they have to. Nokia retain the rights to the name.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Wait what? So Nokia is still going to exist after the deal?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yes, the handset division is being sold, the rest of Nokia stays with Nokia. Microsoft is going to license the name for several years and for 12 to 18 months after the deal closes, Nokia cannot enter the phone business. After that period, they can sell a phone and essentially use the Nokia name.

2. RyokuMas

It would be pretty suicidal. If you look at the stats, the vast majority of Winphones out there seem to be Nokias of some description and despite being effectively out of the picture until hooking up with Microsoft, the name still carries weight.

3. Daniel B.

I do wonder what will happen with the Nokia dumbphone lines; those are the grunt force that's still widely used. The MS-infested abortions aren't that liked though; it's probably good for Nokia to disassociate its good brand with those turds.

5. whatsa

What?

you do know there is the following coming...

lumia 1520

lumia 1320

lumia 2520

3 asha phones

and a 8" tablet that is basically finalised

AND whatever is underway now is the phones for next year?

So it would be fair to say there will be about 20 more devices of Nokias old D&S.

( the false assumption here is MS will change the setup)

Elop and a couple of others go to US but the design team stays where they are doing what they are doing now but with greater access to integration that will be on ALL WP* phones.

( Oh no this is bad -lol)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like