back to article OH what a LOVELY, well-rendered WAR: Yes, it’s 'Call of Duty: Ghosts'

The latest Call of Duty game, Ghosts, is out today, and already websites’ game reviewers are tripping over themselves to reach for the clicks they hope the new Infinity Ward title will win them. The fact is, fans will have bought it already, in colossal numbers, leaving the reviews to be read when the gaming’s done and the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. AMB-York Silver badge

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Wake me up when someone comes up with an original idea for a game.

1. DavCrav

Re: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Braid.

2. MJI Silver badge

Journey

Unfinished Swan

See we can all do it!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Antichamber

Gunpoint

Plain Sight

Sir, you are being hunted

3. Gene Cash Silver badge

Kerbal Space Program... you learn physics, rocket science, see things blow up AND it runs fine on Debian Linux!

2. MJI Silver badge

And we now why they called it the Xbox 720

As that is the resolution!

1. joeW

Re: And we now why they called it the Xbox 720

Umm.... it's called the Xbox One.

1. MJI Silver badge

I meant the fans, I called it the Nextbox myself

BTW the real One was a huge Pentuim based box with wired controllers.

2. Steve the Cynic

I must admit to having wondered a bit about the folks suggesting XBox 720. But then I've read the Japanese manga "BTOOOM!" (might have the wrong number of Os in there, sorry), where the protagonist (and most of the antagonists) are unwilling participants in a LARP version of an FPS. The online version runs on the fictionalised "DXBox 720" which bears an uncanny resemblance to various models of XBox...

3. Tom 38

Boom boom?

More pew-pew

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Boom boom?

> Boom boom

I am guessing this is the obligatory Generation Kill reference; the bit where Q-Tip (mis)quotes the lyrics NWA's Gangsta, Gangsta.

Seriously; CoD and BF are full of nods, homages and downright plagiarisms of that show...

1. TheWeenie

Stay Frosty!

2. John 110

> > Boom boom

>I am guessing this is the obligatory Generation Kill reference; the bit where Q-Tip (mis)quotes the lyrics >NWA's Gangsta, Gangsta.

>Seriously; CoD and BF are full of nods, homages and downright plagiarisms of that show...

Not Basil Brush then?

3. Robert Grant

One medium ripping off another in some small way is no more newsworthy than spotting it, I'm afraid.

See also: Starcraft and Aliens.

4. Wize

Does the campaign mode have the same idiotic team mates who can't make a move forward until you have gone in first and have a kill ratio somewhere at A-Team level?

1. Stacy
      Joke

Do you want an A-Team kill ratio?

At least in the original series almost no one died - they all got up afterwards, even if a Jeep landed on them! :)

1. Simon Westerby 1

Re: Do you want an A-Team kill ratio?

I think he means "Commando like" kill ratios...

when I said I was going to kill you last.... i lied....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Wize

Does the campaign mode have the same idiotic team mates who can't make a move forward until you have gone in first and have a kill ratio somewhere at A-Team level?

actually that's by far the preferable behaviour of computer generated allies, far better than getting in the line of fire or physically blocking a doorway/tunnel/etc. do you really want your teammates to deal with all the enemies? then you'd just be a spectator, why bother with the game (get a movie).

also, as the previous commenter mentioned, there are no deaths in the A-Team. in fact they're weren't any gunshot wounds (at least no blood), typically the baddies would stand in front of barrels that would explode when shot.

1. Wize

Re: @Wize

They do sometimes block the way ahead. Find your self a nice little sniper spot (as you would probably do if faced with such an enemy force) and pick them off only to find one of them standing in front of your hide and you have to repeat the level as you are not allowed to shoot your own guy (even by accident when they are standing up tall in the middle of a fire fight)

2. NogginTheNog
        Thumb Up

Re: @Wize

"there are no deaths in the A-Team. in fact they're weren't any gunshot wounds (at least no blood), typically the baddies would stand in front of barrels that would explode when shot."

I love the action shows of that generation: the car (or truck, or jeep) would do a fantastic flip through the air to land in a crumpled heap farther up the road. And then the driver would climb out of the window rubbing his head (just to show he was ok)!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

COD Ghosts

single player mission. Way to short.

Not bad but unlike HL2 and Farcry3 (That's a *good* game) it wont keep me coming back for more.

6. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Observations...

Presumably you shoot the ghosts using some partical-acceleratory type gubbins rather than a machine gunny thing?

I bet the ghosts aren't a patch on the Pac-Man ghosts.

The dog doesn't look like a ghost.

1. Spoonsinger

Re: Observations... MK2

1) Do they have a counter built in which shows how many times that dog is going to be shot at by the owner? (If they don't they should).

2) Firing an MG, (one handed), out of an airlock while you are wearing a spacesuit - in a vacuum - isn't really a good idea for either your health or accuracy.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To quote Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon...

...my money's on the mutt.

8. mark jacobs
    Coat

Firing guns in space

From a physics POV, a machine-gun or any other gun that requires an oxygen supply to ignite gunpowder somewhere in its line of function, will NOT WORK IN SPACE where there is no oxygen. Geez! Bring back Carmageddon Demo where the physics really worked.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Firing guns in space

Wrong! Google to find out why!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You sure about this? Bullet cartridges are pretty watertight, and they dont rely on sucking air into the breach to fire. Arent the percussion caps sealed inside cartridges with pressure sensitive chemical explosives? I'm not sure I would stand in front of an assault rifle in space and bet on it...

3. A 11
      Coat

Well they fire underwater... not very well but depending on the design of the gun the trapped oxygen in the cartridge is enough. If the cartridge is sealed tightly enough this should stay inside even in space. I bet the Soviets built ammunition specifically designed to fire in space given the crazy guns they made to fire underwater.

Also from a pedants POV surely you mean from a chemistry POV. The physics POV is that recoil is going to be much more of a problem.

4. PhilBuk
      Stop

No gun needs an oxygen supply - the oxygen is provided by the propellant. The only time oxygen is required is for a match to light the fuse on a cannon (the fuse has its own oxygen too). Chemistry - not physics.

Phil.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Gunpowder, as correctly stated by phil, has its own oxygen supply.

Gunpowder, like most explosives uses a nitrate, saltpetre was the old one, there is probably some new more efficient oxydizer used in modern munitions.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"From a physics POV..."

Oh boy, what an embarrassing way to finish a comment that starts like that. Instead of demonstrating even a modicum of understanding of physics, you actually ended up demonstrating a rather profound lack of understanding.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: "From a physics POV..."

Oh boy, what an embarrassing way to finish a comment that starts like that. Instead of demonstrating even a modicum of understanding of physics, you actually ended up demonstrating a rather profound lack of understanding.

...of chemistry.

1. MonkeyCee

Re: "From a physics POV..."

Is there a difference between physics and chemistry? I've only poke around at undergraduate level, but it seems that it's all the same stuff, just differing focus. Physics is modelling all the parts, chemistry is focused on the low to mid level complex systems resulting from this (and can obviously be observed prior to "discovery" and often are the methods of discovery), and biology is the study of the mid to high complex systems. All physical scientists. Then we get to medicine, the first social science :)

Then again, I know people who still feel it was an insult to give Rutherford the Nobel for Chemistry :D

6. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is COD really worth the $...?

Only the PS4 gets 1080P... Are we to conclude that 60 FPS & 1080P is not possible on the new Xbox? Launching the game before the new consoles arrive- WTF? It all smells a bit funny to me...

I'm a fellow games designer, and I play COD online when there's time. The better COD4 user maps still look great, and the COD2 maps are some of the most creative ever and they are all free! Not sure the designers have added a whole lot to the multiplayer experience since COD2 / COD4. Anyone else feel the same?

BTW: IMHO This is a pretty lightweight review for such a large gaming franchise....No mention of the FPS console resolution issues above!

10. Peter 39

rating ?

The ads on TV in the U.S. include the comment "Rated 'M' for 'Mature'"

That's giving far too much credit where little is due.

11. Misky

Just like the iPad Air

It's just like the iPad Air, it's just another CoD. A bit more polished round the edges and comes with a free dog. But it's not going to learn any new tricks.

12. Kaltern
    WTF?

... 6 gig???

So the minimum requirement for the PC version is 6Gb RAM. The game will not even START without it - a warning box pops up if you try.

Why the game requires this I have absolutely no idea - it has supposedly been proven the game will run just fine with less memory, but for whatever reason, Ubisoft decided that PC users must all have at least 6gb and therefore won't mind the restriction.

If the textures and game resources were worthy of such heady requirements, I might understand - but seriously, it looks no different to MW3 or BO2, so I really don't get it.

I believe the crowdfunded Star Citizen has the same memory requirements listed, but then that is a tailored-for-PC game that will no doubt use every kilobyte.

Just sounds like sloppy coding and no attempt at optimization...

13. adam payne

Ghosts

Slim line story, big set pieces and lots of killing as you would expect in the single player campaign.

Multiplayer has some new killstreaks, new maps, new weapons etc but it still has the same old campers and spawn killers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pirate

Re: Ghosts

Which is exactley the reason i dont play online.

14 year old cretins that shouldn't even be playing that know where *every* spawn spot is and every camping site.

Thank the lord for Team Xecuter...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Would be nice to find out for myself...

.... but like what appear to be an awful lot of other peeps out there, it freezes and gives an error message about the DirectX card being disconnected (gaming laptop). Lots of others saying the same thing on the forums but in my case, it happens immediately after the first cut scene so I can't play the thing.

Of course, I've tried the usual suspects - latest stable / beta drivers, reinstalled etc.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like