back to article Amazon throws Kindle sale party after FAA aeroplane gadget fondle ruling

Amazon is offering a discount on its Kindle handhelds in what the web bazaar says is a celebration of relaxed FAA rules on using electronic gadgets on airplanes. The online marketplace said that for one day it will drop the price of its e-reader and tablet family some 15 per cent in appreciation of the US aviation regulator's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 35

Is it safe to say...

US only?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Dr. Ellen
    Unhappy

No Paperwhite

The offer is only good for some Kindle and Kindle Fire units -- not for Kindle Paperwhite. I'd buy if a Paperwhite was on offer ...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

not a shameless promotional attempt to cash in

I do appreciate you quoting (almost) this hilarious denial of facts by Amazon.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just a US rule?

I didn't realise they were banned anyway. No-one seems to care on European flights as long as you turn them off during takeoff and landing. Wouldn't be much point in e-readers for frequent travellers otherwise.

1. genghis_uk

Re: Just a US rule?

In Europe they also make you turn them off if you are delayed while sat in the plane. A 1hr delayed takeoff last year finally made me go back to paper books for travelling.

I have used a Sony PRS-505 since they came out but no-one knew what it was until the Amazon marketing machine raised awareness of e-books. The kindle with WiFi get all e-books, even those without wireless banned.

6. Ian 55

Cheap publicity stunt

Kindle sales are frequent - hardly surprising as they're trying to get you to buy into the Amazon ecosystem and the real profits come later - but when was the last time ElReg publicised one for them?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cheap publicity stunt

Which one can I easily install cyanogen on?

1. Mark Cathcart

Re: Cheap publicity stunt

I did on my original kindle...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like