back to article NetApp chucks sueball at upstart rival Nimble Storage, former staffers

NetApp is suing hybrid array startup Nimble Storage along with three of its former employees, and has alleged in a filing that its rival has been poaching its staff. In a complaint filed on Wednesday, NetApp alleges that Nimble "encouraged NetApp employees to join the company and to take NetApp confidential information with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Doogie Howser MD

No surprise

I once saw a Nimble demo at a VMUG meeting and couldn't believe how much like NetApp their boxes were. Same tech, different name. This might just be the start of more.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No surprise

You need to put down the crack pipe. Nimble isn't anything like NetApp internally or otherwise. Nimble is a purely iSCSI product based on a log structured filesystem with a large SSD cache in front of it. You obviously have the same deep knowledge of NetApp that you have of Nimble.

1. Doogie Howser MD

Re: No surprise

Yeah but crack tastes goooood, baby!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll second googoobaby on that- Nimble doesn't do NFS, Fiber Channel, or CIFS. It's all iSCSI, with SSD based read cache in front of spinning rust.

That having been said, I can't vouch for any real world performance stats to compare either of them against- we are still in the process of loading up the nimble shelf we bought for our test lab with machines to compare it against the big 3240's running our production environment. (Ironically enough, the nimble shelf is replacing a very old netapp FAS2050 that tops out at 4 Gbps for ethernet bandwidth across four LACP bonded copper links. needless to say, the 20 or so vms that share that space run like molasses in winter.)

anon to protect that thing called a paycheck.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah but it is deeply suspicious that they both start with the letter N.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When you can no longer innovative, then litigate.

1. Fatman
      FAIL

RE: When you can no longer innovative, then litigate.

I believe that is patented by Apple.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The money might be better spent...

...figuring out why talented people no longer want to work at NetApp.

If someone really has taken 'secret' IP with them, then fair enough. That isn't cricket.

What most people carry in their heads though is far more powerful, especially when you are selling against your former company.

Happy no longer to be at NetApp. It was however once a good place to work. Sadly if you want the excitement and tension of a company trying to define and change a market, NetApp ain't it.

5. Twit

Congratlations

Well done to both EMC and NetApps for gifting Pure and Nimble with some fantastic free advertising. Saved Pure and Nimble quite a few marketing $$'s

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Congratlations

Sure whetted my appetite as storage is my latest area to explore and the old is so passe ;).

1. spyderco

Re: Congratlations

We recently replaced multiple lefthand networks storage arrays with some of nimbles kit, during the review process we tested out many alternatives including netapp, suffice to say nimbles product is nothing like netapps, and in pretty much every way we mesured it was a far superiour product, than any of the other's we tested. Implementing Nimbles storage was one of the least painful major changes i've ever had to do, and their support where lightning fast and always happy to help unlike the rest. Can't recommend their kit enough. Here's hoping netapp loose more of their customers for obviously trying to cripple the competition.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like