back to article Australian confirms Huawei ban

Australia's new and conservative prime minister Tony Abbott has reportedly confirmed the nation's decision to ban Huawei from providing any kit to the country's national broadband network. Australia famously banned Huawei not long after Barack Obama and his entourage visited the nation in 2010. The ban is thought to have come …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nate Amsden

Can't have the chinese

interfering with the Australian's data collection behaviors on behalf of the NSA....

1. LarsG

They have

They have been welcomed with open arms in the UK.

So who is right and who is wrong? Unless of course GCHQ has done a little deal with them?

1. Yes Me Silver badge

Re: They have

> So who is right and who is wrong?

Apparently the Australians (and the Canadians) are more obedient to instructions from Washington than the Brits or the Kiwis. I don't think there's any sense in asking who's right, since the whole thing is founded on xenophobia anyway, and on fear of a rising economy while the West declines.

2. Jim 59

Re: Can't have the chinese

Given all of the cyber attacks that seem to flow continuously from China, including significant attacks on companies' networks and commercial assets, it seems that what goes around, comes around.

2. nice spam database '); drop table users; --

After NSA scandal, this is not amusing anymore. Moving along, nothing to see...

3. Oengus

It is more likely that they are worried that they will not be able to use their allies (US/UK etc) "influence" to force the Chinese vendors into making backdoors into their products...

4. Adam 1

Don't see any problem.

It is not like the said board members ever failed to notice untoward behaviour when they were foreign minister. Certainly no hundred million dollar kickbacks to Saddam for wheat contracts....

I am sure that makes them right on top of what China does in closed source modules in key infrastructure.

About the first sensible thing the new government has done re NBN

5. David 66

ECHELON

The only thing in Oz the Yanks would be concerned about. Good ol' NSA keepin' it real

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECHELON

6. HereWeGoAgain

Huawei

Were not amenable to requests from the NSA to weaken their encryption.

The day has come when it is safe to say that American equipment is not to be trusted at all, not even a little bit. And Huawei kit is.

7. Graham Marsden
    Facepalm

"If Murdoch organ The Australian is to be believed"

It's a Murdoch publication. If it were to claim that the sky was blue I'd go outside and check...

1. JamesTQuirk

Re: "If Murdoch organ The Australian is to be believed"

"It's a Murdoch publication. If it were to claim that the sky was blue I'd go outside and check..."

Why , How could you even entertain the idea that it had any relevance to facts ......?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like