back to article Spare external hard drives gathering dust? Share your stuff with fellow cloud fear types

California-based Connected Data’s Transporter, which turns an external disk into a private cloud for your devices, is helping you hook up with your like-minded friends. It now links to other Transporters so you can set up your own private cloud for your friends, relatives and/or business colleagues. The new capability is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. RockBurner

Daisy Chaining?

So - how many usb sticks/drives can you daisy chain into it? (I assume there's a limit), and would it list them individually or as one big drive?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, it's network attached storage with added cloud marketing bullshit?

1. Jim 59

Transporter <> cloud

No. Exactly the opposite. It is a peer-to-peer, cloud free solution, and that's the whole point. This is where distributed storage needs to go IMO, away from cloud, which is a festival of painful drawbacks. Your data will remain on your premises (es) but be potentially available everywhere, with proper security.

If it works, then it could be big, big I say...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice

A tunnel through your firewall to all your data, thanks, but no thanks, it's for my family's eyes only.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eh?

So how does this differ from my Pogoplug that I have been using for, like forever?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Eh?

There was an interview with the Drobo/Transporter guy on Speaking in Tech back in April-ish that explained the difference... weirdly, I woke up drunk on the train not two nights ago to it auto-playing in my ears...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Eh?

Here is a product no one needs.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like