back to article Google in PRODUCT RECALL for its Glass spy-goggles

Google is gently recalling the first iteration of its Glass product by offering to swap out the snooping head-mounted camera with a new version of the hardware. The ad giant appears keen to have the original version of Glass returned to Mountain View, and - as an incentive to customers - Google is offering to swap it out for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not interested until a company that makes nice shades picks up the technology.

1. lglethal Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Not interested at ALL. EVER.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Fair enough for people who already wear glasses (and it's still a big market) but is someone with perfect vision going to wear glasses to make use of this device? Think not.

Hint: That is why so many people wear contact lenses or have laser eye surgery.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Presumably you can buy your own nice shades, and simply attach the Google Glass thingy to them. Hence the product replacement. Which makes sense, as it seems pretty silly to provide frames with it, for the large percentage of the population who are already wearing them.

I quite like the idea of Google Glass, it could do some useful things. Except that the screen looks really really small. So I can't imagine how much you can actually read in it. As someone who walks a lot, a sat-nav display would be useful, as would being able to change tracks on a music player while both hands are full. For things like calls and texts, I'm happy to put down what I'm doing, stop and take the phone out of my pocket. And trying to read emails looks like a recipe for walking into a lamppost.

One of the most useful things I can imagine would be for reading small text or signs. But given how poor my eyesight is, I'd imagine I'd need glasses to read the Google Glass screen, so might as well use them on the label in question. Although being able to point at train station departure board, and have some sort of OCR cleverness tell me which platform to go to and where it is would be lovely.

1. jai

These are small… but the ones out there are far away. Small… far away…

yes the screen is very small... but it's also right in front of your eye. so probably appears not so small when in use

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: These are small… but the ones out there are far away. Small… far away…

Does it have any sort of adjustment though? some people don't have perfect vision.

Going from a button and non-touch world back to a cumbersome UI is the biggest problem. Voice control and a small touchpad is a really terrible user interface for getting things done. It's okay for on the move, but using them on a crowded train and you're liable to get punched.

2. Moeluk

Yeah...about that...the 2nd gen, looks worse than the first gen

http://www.techhive.com/article/2059222/second-gen-google-glass-looks-dorkier-than-the-original.html

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yep. let me know when they sign a deal with Oakley. Until then i'll enjoy using the "glassholes" reference :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't want to wear them all the time, but for going skiing I would go nuts for a pair of Oakleys with a plug in heads up display that reports my speed, location, highlights the location of other people I'm with on the mountain, outlines the piste boundaries, auto records my runs (but not the lift ride back), allow me to make and take calls without taking my gloves off (have you ever tried taking a call whilst skiing down a mountain? 1 second to notice a caller, 2 seconds to stop to a halt, 2 seconds to unzip and get the phone out of pocket, 1 second to decide whether to answer, 4 seconds to get gloves off in order to answer...)

1. Dexter
          Facepalm

@AC

have you ever tried taking a call whilst skiing down a mountain?

----------------------

Why would I answer the phone when I'm skiing?

You don't *have* to answer the phone, you know.

1. Tom 38
            Go

Re: @AC

Why would I answer the phone when I'm skiing?

You don't *have* to answer the phone, you know.

Er, I think some people have read this as "Take work call whilst skiing". I'm much more in the "Knowing what restaurant to ski to for lunch" sphere of phone calls whilst skiing. In fact, if it was work, I'd probably ignore it.

2. Raphael

like these?

http://jet.reconinstruments.com/triathlon/

http://www.reconinstruments.com/products/snow-heads-up-display

or this one from Oakley?

http://www.oakley.com/airwave

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

" highlights the location of other people I'm with on the mountain, outlines the piste boundaries,"

Isn't doing that with your own brain and eyeballs an integral part of the sport? All that augmentation just turns it into a video game.

1. Tom 38

Sometimes when you are skiing, it can also be snowing. When it is snowing, the sky is white, the ground is white, the clouds (which you are in) are white. A big glowing red line in the HUD would delineate the piste from the off piste, and perhaps stop you accidentally skiing off a cliff in bad vis. Things that stop me killing myself I generally consider "useful" and not "part of the video game".

Similarly, if you're on a long piste, is that bloke in the black 1km downhill your mate, or just another person wearing black. Did they go left or right at the junction? Which restaurant were we skiing to again*?

Plus, skiing isn't necessarily sport, it's just spending some nice time in the mountains moving from place to place on skis. It's not all Ski Sunday grand slalom races y'know.

2. Don Jefe

So what, you'll take an expensive pair of stylish sunglasses and do away with the style component? If that's the case you can just pick up some sunglasses from the gas station and save yourself some money.

1. Tom 38

If you think Oakleys are stylish sunglasses, you are the one doing away with the style component. Oakleys are tough, the frames are titanium, the lenses are strengthened polycarbonate and are interchangeable for when even tough is not tough enough.

You buy Oakleys because you are fed up of snow blindness from the ineffective anti glare coating on the gas station glasses, and/or have sun burn from the gas station glasses filtering UV-A and not UV-B, and/or are fed up of having to replace them for the 5th time this trip because you took a minor spill.

Besides which, you would hope most of it can be put behind the mirror blue lenses.

1. Don Jefe

You realize that titanium is a fairly poor choice for flexural strength and is only used in eye-ware for its 'stylish' marketing appeal? Even poor forgotten copper is superior to Ti and Ti alloys for flex resistance (bending) and there are a wide variety of better, cheaper and easier to manufacture materials for such applications than Ti. The point being that regardless of ones fashion sense, Oakley eye-ware is absolutely not technically advanced, on any front. They are 100% fashion accessories.

As far as the use of Ti goes, about 95% of consumer uses are completely for marketing purposes. Rare is the consumer product that actually benefits from any of the specific qualities of titanium, other than the fact you can make stuff out of it. In fact, Ti is almost always detrimental, or at the very least pointless, and adds only cost for the buyer.

I was poking a bit of fun at the whole Google Glass crowd, but honestly I could care less about the fashion choices of others. The technical aspects you cite though, that simply proves that form over function marketing is highly effective.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

titanium - very high corrosion resistance and high strength-to-weight ratio.

Makes you wonder why anyone would use it for making things to hang off your ears....?

1. Don Jefe

Titanium does have fairly high corrosion resistance, but what the fuck is wrong with your face that you need corrosion resistance like that? Your pores will never excrete anything that needs that kind of corrosion resistance and be alive at the same time.

There's really no such thing as 'strength to weight ratio' in applied materials. Every material has specific strengths and weaknesses that you use to select the most appropriate material for whatever you're making. Again, Ti and Ti alloys are absolutely not the best material, on any front, for most things. Including sunglasses.

3. Alan W. Rateliff, II
        Paris Hilton

I was thinking Rayban. Imagine "Top Gun" re-shot with Google Glass.

4. Japhy Ryder

I'd rather they signed a deal with Julbo - but there you are, the nub of the problem is how to embody and interface with ubiquitous computing on the next step up from the smartphone, which simply replaced the dumbphones in our pockets. Not quite so simple, this one.

2. BigAndos

"glassholes" I like it! I can never see myself wanting something like this. As AC above says if they had Rayban styling or similar I *might* be tempted but I doubt it really. Then again, I said I would never want a tablet and now I'm glued to one. Ho hum.

3. NoOneSpecific
    Joke

Igloo?

Igloo? So Canadians can get in on this too then?

1. Greg J Preece

Re: Igloo?

Looks like we've been having nicer weather than the UK recently. :-p

4. Sporkinum

http://squiish.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/jerk-google-glasses.gif

I wonder if it causing wearers to go cross-eyed?

5. ran93r

Too soon.

Wake me up when they release Google Eyes (tm)

1. Tom_

Re: Too soon.

Google Peepers.

2. Euripides Pants
      Thumb Down

Re: Google Eyes (tm)

Are you nuts? You'd never escape the ads.

6. R_User
    Black Helicopters

Who will protect us?

For those of use who are camera shy, value our privacy and don't want to be filmed while out and about in the world, will there be a device to block such intrusive voyeurism or have we finally surrendered our lives to that evil corporation?

1. Tom 38

Re: Who will protect us?

Who is protecting you from being filmed on a smartphone while out and about?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

A smartphone tends to be visible or you can recognise that someone is holding one.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Tin foil hat?

You are being recorded every moment of every day already, Google Glass changes nothing in this respect...

3. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Try wearing a pair of old tights over your head. You'll find this works well to protect your privacy.

1. Tom 38

Try wearing a pair of old tights over your head. You'll find this works well to protect your privacy.

Just don't go in to the bank and say "I'd like to withdraw some money please".

4. Splodger
      Coat

Don't worry, you simply have to follow the industry guidelines, and have "_NoFuckingSpyCams" tattooed on your forehead to avoid Glasshole privacy slurping turmoil.

Or carry a cricket bat.

7. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Target Audience

Since the group of people who would be into this are, in my view, narcissistic twits, should we expect the cameras to point at the wearers of this newer version of Glass?

8. Jerky Jerk face

What a bargin

Be a guinea pig AND be a salesman - SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

ha! only joking, google can kiss my glass.

1. Don Jefe

Re: What a bargin

To be fair to Google, they're only doing what every other manufacturer of anything does. The people who buy the current iteration of anything are the guinea pigs for the next generation of buyers. It doesn't matter if you're talking consumer tech or landscaping gravel, you are always the guinea pig.

Now, communicating the issues to the manufacturer in a way that decision makers for the next generation actually hear is an entirely different issue, but even then user feedback is crucial if you want to sell something (see: Surface Tablet for more info).

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"To be fair to Google, they're only doing what every other manufacturer of anything does. The people who buy the current iteration of anything are the guinea pigs for the next generation of buyers. It doesn't matter if you're talking consumer tech or landscaping gravel, you are always the guinea pig."

Yes and usually the guinea pigs are expected to buy the next generation along with the great unwashed.

If Google are really doing this, it represents a major difference in the way desirable consumer tech is trialled.

2. John Bailey

Oh .. It's much worse than that.

The first group of beta testers (not sure if it is still happening) actually had to fly to a designated place and pay to be allowed to use them after "winning" some kind of competition.

Seriously though.. I can see many uses for these things. And I seem to be one of the few who realise that it is indeed possible to take them off your face at will.

1. Don Jefe

I completely agree that Google's forthrightness in the matter is somewhat disturbing. Knowing in the back of your mind that the next generation of a product is going to be better is one thing, but being told upfront that you're new shiny is already being replaced is a significant shift in tone. It's a risky thing to do (see the post I originally responded to) and I can't see any advantage in it.

Google is still very new to retail though, so maybe they just don't understand how to present to the consumer. Their communications are famous for being the opposite of open or straightforward...

9. and-job

Nothing can protect us from bad taste

Google's bad taste in styling is something that we are doomed to have forced on us. Even if we don't purchase such things we will be trapped in the view from one of their 'explorers'. I wonder how many people have already had their privacy intruded on by some geek wearing them.

I bet that Google would not be happy with someone intruding on their privacy be it through someone wearing goo-hole glasses or through the lens of a normal camera.

Will never buy them. Would not buy anything like it regardless of who made it. They are tacky, more tacky than a watch that vibrates when you get a text message and has an intrusive camera on the wristband taking little snapshots of other people's lives.

Well I'm off to my hermit cabin up in the far reaches of the mountains to keep out of the view of these camera's built into watches and glasses....LOL

10. James Hughes 1

Really amazed

At the negativity these things bring out. Real hostility to what is after all just a smartphone on a glasses frame. And EVERYONE commenting here, I expect, has a smartphone.

Weird.

As for what Google are doing here - what's the problem? New iteration of a new product (just like every other company does) and Google are offering an upgrade (you know, like Apple do with iPhones, except they charge loads). Hardware changes so fast nowadays it's remotely surprising they have a new version out already.

1. Craigness

Re: Really amazed

It's less bad even than upgrading a hardware product for free, because these are not on general release and are essentially provided to a beta-test team of "Explorers". So it's almost as much of a fail as rolling back a software change in Dev.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Really amazed

I don't have a smartphone, barely a cellphone, but I'd be happy to get Glasses when the price drops to the expected smartphone parity. No phone to hold on to, no need to grab reading glasses and no tiny keyboard to tap on. Road directions in a head-up display (perfect for bicycling), hands-free access to phone and internet and the ability to install sun lenses. Great! Couple that with a screenless matchbox-sized Nexus 0 voice/data hub (TBA?) and it's a perfect solution. Glassholes? You think Bluetooth earpieces look stylish and people walking with their head down look smart?

11. Eddy Ito

Meh

I hope they address the most glaring deficiency of the original Glass so selfies will be easier for the narcissistic at heart. Think about it, if you have to take them off then you can't demonstrate how hip you are wearing your Glass. Maybe the new one will include a mirror.

I guess this will make the Gen 1 Glass a super duper collectable if most folks go for the swap.

12. Chris Tierney

Not even George Orwell predicted that people would walk around with cameras attached to their heads

13. Mike Brown

wha?

I thought this was the reg? Why wouldnt you want a wearable heads-up display, connected to the vast knowledge of the web? Id have one implanted into my eye if i could. I thought this was a site for IT geeks and dreamers. Instead some of you are moaning about not having your picture taken, like shy tweens, or suspicous tribesmen. What is wrong with you?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: wha?

How often do you talk to your computer to browse the web?

Being heads up tempts people into viewing the web and social media while doing tasks that require full concentration.

1. JayXi

Re: wha?

That's right. Wonder how it feels to have a quiet dinner with a friend who wears one of these.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Google is also pushing for a speedier uptake of Glass"

Then why have it invite only!

1. Craigness

It's invite-only because they want a small group of beta testers who will use the thing and talk about it. And because they might have to modify the hardware before it's ready for stores.

15. websey

Second time this article has been posted today (ok not identical but might as well be) :/

Is it really that slow at the reg office today

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Not over here, chap. Where'd you find it twice?

16. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Glassholes

Whoever invented this word should be carried through the Reg offices on peoples shoulders and given a big fat pay rise.

Well done sir. Well done indeed.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Has Google found out....

That Glass makes your eyes permanently cross like Steve Martin in "The Jerk"?

18. VPAdmin

Does the concept of Google Glass remind anyone of the Star Trek Next Gen episode where everyone got addicted to Wesley Crusher's "Game" where the user wore glasses and had to use their mind to get a disk to fly into a slot therefore receiving almost orgasmic levels of pleasure? So they're all writhing in various rooms totally addicted to this game? Could this happen to Glasshole users?

No? Ok carry on.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You'd have got more upvotes from this crowd if you'd gone down the "Red dwarf - Better than Life" route.

2. Spoonsinger

Re :- "Wesley Crusher's "Game" orgasmic disk thingy....

Actually that was just a rip off of the little hand held game devices in Phillip K Dicks 'The Zap Gun'. (However they did win the day against the alien threat when the aliens got a hold of them).

19. ForthIsNotDead

Transhumanist demons

Makes me shudder.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Beta Testers....

Surely the beta testers (as that's what they are) are just wearing them wrong?

21. Zot

If I ever see anyone wearing these...

I'm going to get close and say 'OK Glass, Google Herp Derp images'

And then they'll be bombarded with images of themselves looking at the glasses. : )

Note, you can also say the latest FBI terror keywords and wait for the helicopters to arrive. But that would be mean, wouldn't it?

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No different than filming someone on a smart phone?

If you see a a Google Glass wearer coming down the street towards you, just point your smart-phone camera at them as they walk towards and past you. If there's no difference in privacy, the glasses wearer should show no reaction.

23. Daniel von Asmuth
    Boffin

Goggle Glass 8.1

Get your update for free; the new model comes with a shiny 'start' button.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like