back to article Ex-Beeb online news guru joins Brit speech-analysis startups

Former BBC guru Matt Karas has left his post as CTO of private course provider FutureLearn to back two new British speech startups. One of those startups, Speech Engineering Ltd, employs new algorithms for identifying the acoustic features of speech - such as the speaker’s emotional state and regional accent. It’s pitched at …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 7

I really must do a TED talk

on how an hour long video of a lecture is probably the worst way of disseminating information.

1. Graham Marsden
      Thumb Up

Re: I really must do a TED talk

I have to agree.

I can read a lot faster than someone can talk, so why should I waste time listening to someone blather on for an hour when I could read a transcript of the entire presentation in a much shorter time?

2. Paul Kinsler

Re: the worst way of disseminating information.

maybe I didn't look around the site enough, but why is it you think that's how they're proposing the courses are run?

Instead, I would assume some set reading and exercises to set up the lectures; as in e.g. http://arxiv.org/abs/1309.0852

1. Tom 7

Re: the worst way of disseminating information.

well from the article "The first 16 TED-style courses will be free" and as far as I can tell TED-style courses seem to be videos with very low data rates.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like