back to article 'With free Mavericks, we are turning the industry ON ITS EAR'

This was the week when Cisco managed hit reply-all on an email yet again, scooping thousands of its employees up into an epic deluge of electronic messages asking not to get any more electronic messages. Just weeks after the first debacle, Cisco did it again, leading its principal cloud engineer Kyle Mestery to ponder: …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Marvin the Martian

"Going forward, we ask that people who share graphic content for the purpose of condemning it do so in a responsible manner, carefully selecting their audience and warning them about the nature of the content so they can make an informed choice about it."

Wait... Now just about anything is allowed. Put on any naughty video, add a condemning voiceover "What a baaaaad boy this is! Naughty naughty! He should be spanked shouldn't he!" etc etc, sorted.

1. Shonko Kid
      Gimp

exactly

I want to be able to 'object furiously' to pr0n on FaceBork

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"I mean seriously, if you can't understand how an email list works and you work at a technology company, something has gone terribly wrong."

You'd think that, but no, it's quite normal - not everyone in a technology company is going to be a tech expert, not everyone in a pharm company is going to be a chemist - you get the idea.

But I can do one better. I used to work for a company that was about 250 employee large, and we had to run a process on every computer that took about a half hour. Not hard, just time consuming, and obtrusive to the users.

So we took the obvious path, script the bloody thing over the weekend when everyone is out. To this end, we send a building-wide email to all the users explaining they should leave their computers on over the coming friday, for the half hour process to be done automatically on saturday.

We received about a half dozen strongly worded responses that if it only takes a half hour, the computers are going to be needlessly on over friday night, most of saturday, all of sunday, and through to monday morning. Obviously a bunch of greenies.

At this point, you'd be thinking "so what".

Well, this is so what: The company designed and commissioned coal and gas power stations. Each and every employee there to some degree contributed to what the company did. Including those half dozen greenies who obviously didn't look too carefully when they applied for their jobs. Clearly, when reading the dictionary, they missed "irony".

1. alexmcm

Hasn't every hit 'Reply All' at least once?

Working 15 years ago for IBM on a critical real-time international money transfer system. We all got an email saying if we spotted any show stopping bugs in the system before it went live, we'd 'win' an IBM T-shirt. So I forwarded the email to my friend saying something along the lines of " What the f**k are they thinking, what a crappy prize, etc etc".

The sinking feeling when you hit Send and see the 'Reply Sent to 7,300 users' is unbelievable.

On the plus side, I didn't get sacked, and got equal amounts of 'you are an idiot' vs 'Good point' replies.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

<3 Apple innovation

Oh Apple, you are so innovative.

Yesterday I was telling the losers on Linux and BSD forums how Apple are the best cos I can get OSX for FREE, they proceded to make up all these lies that BSD and Linux were free and had been for years.

I know they were lying.

Apple does everything first, Apple innovates.

1. John Tserkezis

Re: <3 Apple innovation

"Yesterday I was telling the losers on Linux and BSD forums how Apple are the best cos I can get OSX for FREE"

Firstly, Linux isn't "free", in that while the operating system product is most certainly free of money, by itself, it's useless, it's just a collection of semi-random bits on a storage device. Once you implement it and make it useful on regular hardware, there is additional training, maintenance etc, it starts costing money.

Ditto for OSX. Sure, the operating system is free NOW, by itself it's nothing more than a collection of semi-random bits on a storage device. As with Linux, once you implement it on overpriced, over restricted very proprietary hardware, along with the training, maintenece etc, holy crap who would have thought, it costs money too.

"Apple does everything first, Apple innovates."

Er, no. Linux was free (in cost and freedom to maniplate the code) a long time before OSX, who took a mere few years to catch up. And even then, the code remains proprietary.

The only thing Apple did first, is culture a hoard of idiot fanbois who have no clue about what their beloved gear actually does.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You're wrong.

I know you're wrong because you're a Linux fanboi.

2. Shades

@John Tserkezis, Re: <3 Apple innovation

Time to buy a new sarcasm meter I think.

3. RealFred

Whoooooooooooosh

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Am I the only person in the whole world who has never upgraded the OS on any PC they've ever owned? I just keep whatever version came with it until the PC dies of old age / stood on / passed on to kids.

For the vast majority of home PC users, the cost of the OS is irrelevant, as they will never upgrade, and will see no need to. It seems Apple owners are absolutely obsessed with having the latest service pack, sorry, OS version on their shiny.

As for giving away free software.. well.. not really all that innovative. I have Visual Studio 2012 and SQL Server 2012 on my laptop, both are free. The Express editions may not suit enterprises, but, they work perfectly for home users who want a dabble.

5. r4gg3h
    Facepalm

r4gg3h

Facebook are off their rocker. I know someone who recently posted a video of his mate sitting on the toilet and consequently got banned for 24 hours.

But a beheading video is OK.

6. Kay Burley ate my hamster

Oi Cameron

Facebook didn't post it, it was one of their users.

Can we one day have a PM who gets the Internet?!

7. Observer1959

Haters

Wow only the haters could find something bad to say about Apple giving away something for free.

1. RealFred

Re: Haters

That part I have no issue with. Its all the crowing from the fanbois about how great Apple are for giving away for free what is essentially a service pack, something that Linux and Windows users have gotten for free for years.

When the next version of OSX comes out, people will be charged money for it.

1. r4gg3h

It's what Apple are so incredible at doing - inventing something amazing that already exists. There is simply no entity that can, or ever will, do that any better than Apple.

1. RealFred

You forgot your <sarcasm>. tag. Some people here will think you're serious

1. ian 22

After all the OS wars, there is a serious irony deficiency in all of the armies. I remember the language wars: FORTRAN is superior to COBOL! No! PL1 is the bomb you bastards! Etc. Etc.

Who gives a damn now? Who uses FORTRAN, RPG, COBOL? In a few years all of the energy expended arguing about OSX/Windows/Linux will dissipate and the world will move on to some new (and equally pointless) concern.

A little perspective is a good thing.

8. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Sounds good to me

This is not denigrating Apple deciding to release the OS update for free -- but, MacOS has narrowed the age of hardware each version supports for years, and is now down to supporting only 2 or 3 year old machines. So, they will not have people upgrading for free from one version to the next for 10 years or anything, the computer they get today will likely not be supported by the OSX version that comes out 2 years from now.

I'd like to debunk claims that these are like service packs. If Microsoft was still jamming all kinds of addons and "under the hood" changes into service packs like they did in the 2000 and XP era, I'd say a lot of OSX releases are comparable to service packs -- but, service packs just aren't like that any more. For example, the SPs for Vista and 7 mainly collected the bug fixes and security flaw fixes all together (and maybe updated IE). It's much closer to the updates already available for an OSX version via the update manager (except the Service Pack nicely collects it all in one big file.)

9. jimbo60

shhh...don't tell anyone

Don't tell anyone at Apple that Microsoft's service packs have always been free. And the Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade.

What, the original version isn't free? Neither is Apple's, it's just built into the overpriced hardware.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like