back to article Samsung to take stake in Gorilla Glass maker Corning after LCD deal

Gorilla Glass maker Corning has announced that it's going to buy out Samsung Display's stake in their LCD joint venture, in a deal that gives Samsung Electronics a 7.4 per cent stake in Corning. As well as having a foot in the firm, Samsung will also get a new ten year glass supply agreement for its mobile devices and tellies …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good news indeed, considering Samsung not only make displays for themselves but for others, this will hopefully lead to some excellent new displays!

2. Dick Emery

Inferior glass

They should have made a stake in Dragon glass instead.

1. Maharg

Re: Inferior glass - Don’t be silly.

Everyone knows Dragon glass takes longer to make then gorilla glass, it’s just not cost effective.

It’s hard enough crushing a Gorilla into a fine powder and then superheating it into glass, but have you ever crushed a Dragon into a fine powder? It takes ages.

They need to get the Dragons to crush the Gorillas into a powder and then superheating the powder into a glass using their fire breathing abilities, it’s would be much quicker than getting a large number of gorillas to crush one dragon, and then train the Gorillas to make fire.

I mean, seriously, next time think things through!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Thinking about it, calling it "Gorilla glass" is a kind of insult to the users.

"You're a strong, not hugely intelligent endangered species that tends to test any new object by bashing it on a rock. That's why we invented this glass product, just for you."

1. John Gamble

Honestly, the notion that I could pound like a gorilla is actually flattering.

Somewhat relevant: 1971 American Tourister commercial.

2. Geoff Campbell Silver badge

Re: @ribosome

Have you ever seen a teenager with a mobile phone?

GJC

3. BigNose
    Mushroom

Eye for an eye?

And this has nothing to do with Samsung's continuing spat with Apple.

Business sense in more ways than one.

1. Charles 9

Re: Eye for an eye?

I don't think so. This seems more like a mutual business agreement. Going with Gorilla Glass has been a boon to Samsung with their mobiles and TVs; their devices can take more abuse giving them more value. meanwhile, Corning appreciates Samsung's business since it lets them spread and improve the technology.

I wouldn't read this much further than just two partners taking a good thing and running with it.

4. Outcast !!!

Will this impact Apple?

Can any industry insider points out if this Corning-Samsung deal will affect Apple?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Will this impact Apple?

Samsung operate as a bunch of competing businesses. If there is any cooperation or plan between them we have never been able to find it.

One Samsung division will happily screw another one for it's own slice of the market.

It wouldn't be surprising if Samsung Glass stops supplying to Samsung tablets entirely if Apple paid more.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why would a 7.4% stake affect Apple? That may not even be enough to get a seat on the board.

3. Geoff Campbell Silver badge

I'm not sure where you're coming from with that question. Samsung already supply the processors for a lot of Apple gear, including the new iPhones, so why would them re-arranging a small stake in Corning make any difference?

GJC

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like