back to article Very handy: Nokia’s DC-50 wireless-charging power brick for your mobe

Although it didn’t merit a mention in today’s keynote at Nokia World, a new power accessory revealed today could come in very handy indeed. The DC-50 is a spare battery without the wires – it’s a wireless charging plate for your devices, and it contains a battery that can be charged by another wireless charging plate. This …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not wireless; but you can get rechargeable blocks with 2 or 4 18650 batteries from ebay for somewhere around the £5-10 mark.

1. Melrose

Melrose Technology launched a wireless charger equipped with night lamp

Only charging is not enough, it should have some other function. Melrose Technology has just launched a similar wireless charger equipped with a night lamp by secsitive touching to power on.

2. Christian Berger

So...

how do you make sure your phone won't slip of from that charger? It doesn't seem to be much use in a mobile situation unless you also carry at least 2 rubber bands to fix it to your phone.

1. Terry Barnes

Re: So...

I think you're rather missing the point...

3. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Energy efficiency

Wireless charging is undoubtedly convenient but how energy efficient is it and how much 'wasted energy' comes from having that convenience?

Some claim wireless chargers are more efficient than wired but that looks to be based upon assumptions which don't seem to have been proven in practice. Like fuel consumption figures; it is hard to believe the hype.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Energy efficiency

Very good point, but it will be lost in yet another tech marketing frenzy..

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Energy efficiency

Same as most induction systems. Around 40-60% tops.

4. spaceyjase
    Thumb Up

Wireless? Magic!

It is one of those things that's easy to scoff at until one gets to used it. I've a charger at work and a couple in the home. It's such a clever thing and no hassle at all; I wish more things put it to use, especially in combination with other features. The Lumia line has a wireless charger/speaker combo that works really well. It uses NFC to play music when the phone is positioned in the charging area... it's quick and simple; it just works.

Wireless chargers would be an excellent addition in a car, for example. Hooked up via bluetooth/NFC, in car display, etc... lets have some more of this magical technology please!

Tesla icon required.

5. JDX Gold badge

Can you stack them?

If they act as batteries and wireless chargers, can you stack them 12-high on a wired charger to charge loads at once?

1. JP19

Re: Can you stack them?

"can you stack them 12-high"

Given a generous 60% conversion efficiency the top one will take 460 times longer to charge than the bottom one.

2. Robert Grant

Re: Can you stack them?

If you put two next to each other, will they charge each other!?

6. jimbo60

not really so expensive

AT&T was throwing in the plug-in wireless charging plate for free with Lumia 920 orders for a long time (and may still be, I'm not sure). So we already have a couple of those around. I wouldn't be surprised if this DC-50 shows up at reduced prices too.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like