back to article Whoops! Apple drops kimono, flashes 'FREE' GarageBand for iOS7

Apple looks set to adopt a freemium* model for its App Store apps after accidentally revealing plans to give away GarageBand, its Mac OS X and iOS music production software, free of charge. The fruity firm is expected to unveil new versions of the iPad and perhaps beefed-up Macbook Pro models tomorrow. But ahead of its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Article needs ammmending

Apple accidentally let the following statement slip onto its iPhone 5S website, before quickly removing it:

to

Apple "accidentally" let the following statement slip onto its iPhone 5S website, before quickly removing it:

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Have never opened the GarageBand app which came with Snow Leopard (I believe probably iLife installed it or something, when I first set up the machine).

Not even once.

[ I have however got a huge amount of enjoyment out of the Moog app on my Blackberry! http://www.moogmusic.com/sight-and-sound/product_demo/animoog-blackberry ]

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple FTW.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

FTW?

Fuck those wankers?

4. Oli 1

Ah Logic Lite. The equivalent of Ejay Dance 6

1. Steve I

"Ah Logic Lite. The equivalent of Ejay Dance 6"

Not really - Garageband is Garageband; it's not the 'lite' version of anything in as much as there's no menu options that, when you try to use them, you get a pop-up saying Sorry - that feature is only available in Garageband Pro. would you like to upgrade for the special one-time fee of $29.99?"

And the same for all the other iLife apps - they are their own apps with support forums etc and you know that other Mac users have the same software, unlike all the other bloatware, feature-crippled, unheard of, unsupported, written-by-1st-year-Java-students cr@p that other machines get loaded with.

So when my Dell-owning friends ask for advice about their free photo editing software "Glorius Korean Software Kompiny (sic) Foto Editor Pro Lite V32.5!" and why it's asking for $30 to crop a photo "Please be upgrading to wonderful Korean Software Kompiny (sic) Foto Manipulator Expert V 24.8 for advance features" I have to say "Dunno mate. My last pc was an Acer it it came with "Most Brilliant Picture Changer V5" but needed upgrading to "Hoo-soon Picture Magic 9 " to save changes."

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is "Mash-up" a trendy new word for "portmanteu"?

1. Pan_Handle

Do you mean "portmanteau"?

2. Robert Grant

Nothing new under the sun and all that, but it's nice for communications guys to have trendy synonyms that they can useleverage off. Means their pay-per-word articles cost morehit a better priceprice point going forward.

(There was nothing to strike through for "going forward", it's that pointless.)

1. Captain Underpants

@Robert, re: "going forward".

I think what you wanted to do was have "in future", then strike it out and replace it with "going forward". At least, that seems to be the usage context I've seen...

6. Lusty

Freemium

It's a shame that Frape was already taken as its more fitting for something that looks free while actually raping your bank account.

I guess the free office apps confirm MS office will be along shortly too.

1. kevin king

Re: Freemium

" guess the free office apps confirm MS office will be along shortly too."

there is already free MS Office apps with CloudOn http://www.cloudon.com/

1. Lusty

Re: Freemium

CloudOn is no use to me as it's online only. I could just as easily use Citrix or Office 365 if I wanted limitations like that.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Proper synths have real knobs.

Real knobs have iPad synths.

8. Decade
    IT Angle

Prices going down is a problem?

Do you get upset when you buy a new computer and immediately afterwards a new computer comes out at the same price? So Apple is doing the same thing with the software that comes with the computer.

So it turns out that the $15 that Jasper spent for Pages and Garageband would not have been necessary if he had waited, what, a few weeks? I would be feeling a small amount of buyer's remorse, too, but only if I didn't bother to use those apps. I thought you get computer stuff to do a job, and if you sit around waiting for the price to drop then you won't get your job done. You pay the current price to do things now.

Also, unless you're in the grips of poverty, $15 is just not that much money. Does The Register need to give its writers a raise?

9. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

"Do you get upset when you buy a new computer and immediately afterwards a new computer comes out at the same price?"

Well, yes, I've seen people get pissed about this as well.

10. Richard 20
    Stop

Am I missing something?

I thought Apple's premium apps going free for qualifying phones was mentioned at last month's Keynote where the new phones were announced…

11. RAMChYLD

> iPhoto, iMovie, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are free on the App Store for qualifying iOS 7 compatible

> devices activated on or after September 1, 2013.

Qualifying here meaning iPhone 5s/c bought from AT&T USA. Lucky sods. Older device owners like us are just SOL.

12. David Kelly 2

Waiting for Aperture 4.0

Its great for Aperture 3 owners that Apple has kept the app updated for so long but just as the author recently purchased now-free apps I am not going to buy Aperture 3, waiting on 4.

And shouldn't Mavericks be released soon?

13. Hans 1

Seriously, I like garage band back in the day when I had a Mac ... Logic pro looks impressive, especially compared to Ableton Live, $200 and unlimited tracks, Live ... I wonder if you can use the same virtual instruments ...

14. Bill Fresher

Garageband?!

Notion's where it's at.

15. Andy Mac
    Go

Tis true

I bought my wife an iPad last month and I was surprised that she had downloaded the iApps, knowing that they cost $10 (AUS), but we checked they were free for her. I'd still have to pay though.

16. John H Woods Silver badge
    Headmaster

Drops kimono...

... I think it might be "opening the kimono" or "dropping the towel"

17. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Totally irresponsible

That wanton proliferation of weapons of mass musical destruction by Apple...

I demand a drone strike.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like