back to article iPhone 5S autopsy shows WHY it can't tell which end is up – dev

Balance problems plaguing the iPhone 5S popped up with the first reviews. But a teardown by Chipworks and the musings of an iOS dev have isolated a likely reason why the steering on that motor racing app is about 5 degrees off. It's all down to a replacement accelerometer which lacks the accuracy of its forebear. Although …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ralph B

So: develop the calibration app; install the calibration app; run the calibration app.

Simple as that: bisch Bosch basch.

1. tony

It just works...

2. Mike Bell

It would also require an OS update, since every app using inclinometer data would want to receive calibration-adjusted data.

But if you're spending a large amount of cash on a premium device, you'd naturally expect HQ components to be used, and any such calibration to be done at the factory.

Or am I being picky?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Strange, maybe mine is the older version because it is spot on in my 5s?

I wonder if there has been a mix of them....

Still even if it was off the lack of malware more than compensates...

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And everything works flawlessly on an S4?

5. Doug Petrosky 1

Something Apple has to do

Apple can do this and have the core API reference the adjustment before reporting orientation to all applications. It makes no sense for third parties to fix this issue.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Regarding its use in driving games, a 5º discrepancy would bring some extra realism... it'd be just like the steering wheel in my works Transit van!

1. Velv

To quote Jeremy Clarkson:

"the steering wheel acts in a purely advisory capacity"

3. Evil Auditor Silver badge
    Trollface

You're holding it wrong!

see title

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Piss off!

See title.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This can't be! Apple don't get anything wrong.

The problem definately lies between the ears of the purchaser.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Apple don't get anything wrong."

Useless strawman argument repeated by idiots.

Don't you ever read the news? Apple does several software updates and hardware recalls per year for things it has gotten wrong, same as every other large company ever.

5. Mtech25
    Meh

what a let down given the title

I was hoping for some sort of grainy video footage with people in lab coats and masks around a dissected iPhone

1. T. F. M. Reader

Re: what a let down given the title

I imagined David McCallum talking to Siri with a soldering iron in hand.

1. PaulR79

Have a thumbs up for getting one of my favourite actors into the discussion.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

Have a thumbs up for getting one of my favourite actors into the discussion.

And one from me for the implied (well, inferred) sense of menace Steel + a soldering iron conjures up.

6. James Hughes 1

I would think almost certainly a cost decision. It only takes a couple of $0.01 to make a big difference when you sell multimillions of devices.

Happens a lot - constant efforts to decrease the BOM, often resulting in reduced quality.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As the article said it's more likely to be for power saving reasons than cost.

1. Richard 22

Highly unlikely to be due to power saving

The power consumption difference for the phone overall will be so minimal with this part it seems highly unlikely to be that reason. More likely cost, or the required voltage - if they don't need 2.5V anywhere else there may be another component saved, or it might make routing the PCB easier etc.

7. frank ly

.. Apple's latest uber-phone shifts gravity by as much as five degrees ...

That is some serious technology!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Custard
      Pint

Re: .. Apple's latest uber-phone shifts gravity by as much as five degrees ...

Oh I dunno, I know a low-tech solution which seems to do it for me on a Friday night, although often by more than 5 degrees...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

8. lglethal Silver badge
    Trollface

Its not the chip's fault!

It's obvious that the Apple/Jobsian Distortion Field is so strong on the iPhone 5S that it is actually affecting the local gravity experienced by the chip!

Amazing!!!

9. Matt Hamilton

Inclination...hahahah... geddit?

"Apple could do that, as part of the production process, but has shown no inclination to do so."

Or they have, but are off by 5 degrees.

-Matt

10. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

iMaps

Nah, they choose the Bosch component because it was the only one who could fix the iMaps misdirections.

11. Velv
    Joke

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

You're just holding it wrong

1. Velv
      Trollface

Yeah, I know, its growing thin. But it still scores down votes from the Fanbois

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Nah, I don't think it's the fanbois downvoting, so much as the terminally bored. That's an old, old line now. After all, you felt the need to use the joke alert icon on your post - which is almost as bad as laughing at your own jokes when no-one else is...

Personally I was hoping that the story was going to be Apple had installed the sensor upside down. After all, various rocket makers have, so I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to join the fun.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Well done INSparticus! I'm kicking myself for not making a connection with that failed Russian satellite launch earlier.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So that comprehensive testing process following changes in components or designs is working out then....

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I bet Jobs is off by 5 degrees in his grave at this!

14. Marcelo Rodrigues

It's obvious, isn't it?

"One way or another, the days when an iPhone doesn't know which way is up are probably drawing to a close."

It's up yours!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Holding it Right

Its not 5 degrees off, your just holding it 5 degrees wrong.

16. Gene Cash Silver badge

Apple has "shown no inclination"

Sigh.

17. edge_e
    Facepalm

So: develop the calibration app; install the calibration app; run the calibration app.

Watch as apple produce a similar app and remove yours from the store

18. Doug Petrosky 1

Just get it replaced

Has anyone taken one to an apple store? They would have to replace it as defective or fix it with a simple configuration setting. This seems like a non issue.

Note: I checked my mother in law's 5s and it was spot on so I can't tell you what Apple says about this issue.

19. Patrick R
    Boffin

again and again... units !

Anyone reading the articles before publishing ?

You don't "consume 2.5 volts".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like