back to article HP goes bundle mad with quicker HP-UX

Hewlett-Packard's Unix team has rolled out a fresh release of the HP-UX operating system, and has yet again fiddled with the various flavors of the software that customers can acquire. HP-UX 11i v3 Update 2 (no, seriously) features some tweaks to the kernel and elsewhere, providing what HP claims is a 20 per cent performance …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

A Clear Marketing Advantage Over Solaris

Which only has one release "bundle", with everything in it, for one simple price... $0.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. joe
    Coat

One name to remember when deciding.

Solaris!!

Should simplify which version you need

Why-o-why do vendors torture their customers by coming up with sub-versions of their products?

Vista this XP that 2k3... what version? Web/Enterprise/Standard/Datacenter in which flavor? R2 or SP2. Now is that 64 or 32 bit?

AHHHHHH If drug dealers used the same product naming scheme there would be no drug problems..

What kind of death would you like? Quick Death? Quick and Painless death? Quick and painful? hows Slow death? maybe painful death.. hmm you look like a slow and painful death kinda guy. Hows about we set you up with that? Now slow painful death can be packaged with blunt force trauma, cancer, you choose the type, etc......

It's the end of the day and i need a bevy, I hope i there isn't too much of a choice. Drunk or Drunker :)

Off soap box --> on coat --> out door --> in bar --> on stool --> Alls good

4. Mark Honman

Let's revive the Unix wars!

It'll make a change from pc and Mac kiddies bashing each other.

now me, I'm in the Apollo Domain corner.

I wonder what it is that gives HP the technology dumping death-wish? Let's see... Apollo Domain, VMS, Alpha, PA-RISC... all brilliant technologies terminated before their time.

Particularly Alpha - that processor architecture was so far ahead of its competitors.

And there should be space on the the HP cenotaph for HP's own slightly-bizarre-but-worked-well-in-practice HP1000s and HP3000s.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Where is Matt Bryant...

when you need him....

6. WhetPhish
    Gates Horns

OpenBSD ...

... for stability and security. FreeBSD for the workstations!

(Bill with horns because I can't find a pic of Beastie)

7. John

that slide..

was that HP-wx?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Re: Where is Matt Bryant...

That made me laugh more than the HP article, glad someone else noticed him!! :-)

Matt oh Matt, defender of the faith, wherefore art thou at this time of need....

9. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Re: A Clear Marketing Advantage Over Solaris

Managing to be more confusing than Sun about software is a deeply impressive feat. HP are to be congratulated.

10. Ishkandar

@Mark Honman

Alpha is not dead yet. It just morphed into Windows NT !! You also forgot about AIX and those magnificent Mammoth tape drives that refused to read back what you just wrote with them !!

Aah, trips down memory lane; some good, some bad !! I remember well my first "bought" computer - TRS80 Model 1 Level 2 - what a moniker !!

And please don't mention HA to me. My experiences with the early HA (High Availability ?? Hah !!) machines were painful in the extreme. And it was made more painful by the management insisting on clustering the bastards !! 4.00 am support calls are NOT conducive to good, even temper, you can take my word on this !! My linguistic abilities expanded in direct proportion to the number of such calls !!

HP3000s - Aah, serious heavy iron but reliable !!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

AIX

I'm so glad we are dumping HP-UX for AIX. We virtualize all AIX and soon RHEL on POWER5 micro-partitions with VIOS for all disk and network. I hated having to use vxfs on HP-UX. AIX's JFS2/LVM is much better integrated. Having to pay extra to mirror your disks with Mirror/UX is just plain stupid, and now it looks like you have to buy a lot more to get the ability to mirror. Good bye HP-UX.

12. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

RE: Mark Mulvaney

"....HP made two massive errors, one was the death of AdvFS so no path from Tru64...."

Oh yes, Tru64, which had how much market share? That's right, virtually none. HP took the decision that OpenVMS provided much more of a market than Tru64, and working with Veritas could offer much more of a technical advantage than integrating the old Tru64 kludge. Face it, hp-ux was outselling Tru64 three-to-one before the merger, and the market figures show the vast majority of Tru64 users have switched to either hp-ux or Linux on Integrity. All of which makes me wonder if you've ever worked with it.

"....the other was it's feeble X86-64 offering, forcing Itanic on those with multiple chip needs....." <Yawn>. That would be HP the leading x86 vendor, then? Yeah, such a poor x86 offering HP Proliant outsells all Sun's servers ten-to-one! Go read some market figures, Sunshiner.

Personally, I'm a bit miffed at the changes in the hp-ux OEs. HP created them to make licensing and patching easier - you bought the bundle, you got one license and could load one patch pack as needed. Of course, they tied support to them, which was the problem - if you ordered the old MC OE you got the very expensive mission critical support. I've had two standard builds for a while, using Foundation and some extras or Enterprise and the clustering bits, now I'll have to re-jig them for the new OEs.

Oh, and to all those fools carping on about how "cheap" Slowaris is at $0, think again - just look at the price of your support contracts. And if you're not runnign them with Sun support then they must be low-level systems that would be even cheaper and better on Linux anyway.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Matt Bryant

> Oh, and to all those fools carping on about how "cheap" Slowaris is at $0, think again - just look at the price of your support contracts. And if you're not runnign them with Sun support then they must be low-level systems that would be even cheaper and better on Linux anyway.

Ha,ha,ha, Matt Bryant, you're so out of touch with reality, it is not even funny. Lay off that crack pipe already. "Slowaris"? Oh, come on, you can do better that. Slowaris was a term Linux dweebs would use may be 8 years ago, but now pretty much everybody knows Solaris wipes the flow with Linux even on the same x86 hardware. And the more processors you throw at both Linux and Solaris, the better it looks for Solaris. As for Sun support being expensive, that is just plain wrong. I can testify that it is indeed cheaper to support Solaris on similar class hardware across all Unix and Linux vendors. Hell, Solaris is almost 2 times cheaper to support than even RedHat. Solaris is the absolute best value-for-the-money operating system on the market bar none.

14. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Happy

RE"...Solaris wipes the flow..."

Ewwww! Talk about potty humour - "Solaris, the enterprise buttwipe!" Looks like your OpenOffice spellchecker needs some fine-tuning. Oh, and I remember first hearing the term "Slowaris" in the 90's at an IBM AIX event, I think it was '98. Nothing to do with Linux - penguinistas aren't the only people to laugh at Sunshiners! Mind you, it shows where your paranoia faces.

As for being "so out of touch with reality", Gartner figures don't lie - Solaris sales are down, they keep going down and everyone projects them as going down further. Linux, as a free download, as a supported bundle from a Linux distie, or as a pre-installed and supported package from a server vendor is on the rise, has been on the rise for the same time Solaris has been dying, and is projected to keep on taking marketshare from Solaris. Solaris x86 even as a free download is so minor it doesn't even feature as an option in most corporate mindsets and is never likely to gain the mindshare Red Hat and SuSE have gained.

As for your "cheaper to support Solaris on similar class hardware across all Unix and Linux vendors", I'm sure your figures come from the finest Sun marketeering studies. My own direct experience is that Solaris on anything is rarely the cheapest solution unless the Sun salesgrunt sells at cost minus a big chunk, I drop key requirements, make serious compromises in design, or commit to extensive testing which is unnecessary with other proven solutions. If your experience is otherwise then good luck to you, but my honest opinion is you're talking out of where you said the Slowaris was being used.

And as a user, I would still rather buy one of the new hp-ux bundles on Integrity and pay for support than touch any Slowaris offering.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@Matt

Thanks for your informative insight!

You're even brave enough to mention Gartner? Wow, Gartner are so full of crap, usually the only guyz that believe what comes out of that orifice wear suits. The same guyz that force Windblows and SEEKWELL server down our throats, before we move back to Oracle.

This topic is closed for new posts.