back to article MacBook Airs in Black Screen of DEATH terror: Apple responds

MacBook Air users who faced a black display when they attempted to install Windows can breathe easier: Apple has issued a patch that should assuage their torment. MacBook Air EFI Firmware Update 2.7, released Thursday, is a fix for a quite convoluted problem affecting the versions of Apple's Ultrabook precursor that were …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TheRealRoland

Boot notes

boot notes: showoffs ;-)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Heresy!!!!

What are you talking about, Apple bugs? Don't you know that Apple products never HAVE bugs??!! They are PERFECT! ALWAYS!

Big Brother Cook is watching you. The stormtroopers are at your front door...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Heresy!!!!

What next crApple? Of course Apple products have bugs like everything else made by humans - grow up.

2. Mike Bell

I'm surprised you found the time to write that – between installing Windows Update patches.

Seriously, I get very occasional updates for my Apple laptop. And more often than not it's for a Camera Raw update that allows the computer to recognise new camera models as they come to market.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm surprised you found the time to write that – between installing Windows Update patches.

LOL. Let them be - they know full well that an Apple OSX patch is still news, whereas a Windows patch has become so frequent Microsoft had to schedule them to allow people to get any work done in between.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I'm surprised you found the time to write that – between installing Windows Update patches."

I suppose it could be said that "hackers" dont see a profit in hacking OS X, not enough users. Plus OS X mothers their users, 'dows is unchained and it's the responsibility of the user to protect themselves.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Trollface

"Seriously, I get very occasional updates for my Apple laptop."

Well if they actually bothered fixing the bloody great holes a big quicker, you may get some more....

Search for:

apple finally release patch for

and see how many you find...

3. MrDamage Silver badge

What!?

Its not available in Klingon?!* I demand my money back!**

*Yeah, right. Like I'm stupid enough to learn a fictional language.

**If I'm not stupid enough to learn a fictional language, do you think I'm stupid enough to spend money on an non-edible piece of fruit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What!?

<pedant>But stupid enough to write "an non-edible" :)</pedant>

1. amanfromearth

Re: What!?

A Napple perhaps?

4. rh587
  5. dougal83

Not a big story. Coincidentally my Samsung ultrabook had no problems and was significantly cheaper. *Hugs inanimate object

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

And you think Apple fans are sad. Laies and gents, I give you Samsung Fanboys...

2. Sandtitz Silver badge

If you want to talk about working firmwares, please refer to non-Samsung laptops.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/01/31/ubuntu_uefi_bricking_samsung_laptops/

6. Ted Treen
    Holmes

It's usual...

"...the inevitable round of bugs and subsequent fixes that will accompany the release of OX 10.9..."

or, more correctly:-

"...the inevitable round of bugs and subsequent fixes that will accompany the release of insert s/w name..."

Modern software is so complex compared with the COBOL & RPGII stuff I used to write nearly forty years ago, that it is impossible to pre-test against every set of and combination of circumstances during its beta phase.

If it were attempted, we'd have gestation periods of many years, and even decades between new releases.

1. Julian Taylor

Re: It's usual...

"If it were attempted, we'd have gestation periods of many years, and even decades between new releases."

You mean, like the interval between Windows XP and Windows 7?

1. Wallyb132
        Facepalm

Re: It's usual...

"You mean, like the interval between Windows XP and Windows 7?"

You're right, the time span between XP and 7 was a long one, thats why they stuffed Vista in between them...

7. Happy Ranter

black screen of death? maybe not

Maybe it was a final act of self-preservation?

8. Captain Obvious
    Joke

The Real Story is......

Windows was identified as a virus and squashed!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yeah, Apple products have never had bugs, as hasn't the El Reg site. doesnt remember me and still don't get to stay on the same page when up- or downvoting

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like