back to article Nokia tears devs' hearts out, shutters Symbian and Meego stores early

Nokia can't get off its burning platforms fast enough. The company has told developers it will block its Symbian and Meego app stores from accepting new software or updates from 1 January next year. This has dismayed developers, who thought Nokia's commitment to Symbian ran until 2016. Tens of millions of Symbian devices …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. J. R. Hartley

Well that's the end of that then :/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Elop the bar steward

Carried out MS's plan to destroy Symbian to the letter and goes to collect his reward. Never mind the waste of effort, technical achievement and career investment. Rot in hell MS. RIP Nokia.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No one likes a lying cnut, still let's hope that whatever he touches in the future will turn to sh*t, and if he makes any further announcements best take it with a pinch of salt. The markets will.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Look no further than his resume to see how things turn out for companies he is at. There are bankruptcies and acquisitions; those acquisitions were not by his company mind you.

2. Lars Silver badge
    Happy

Surprise, surprise

Cell phone Nokia is now Microsoft "what ever", just accept it. Nokia will continue without cell phones and I hope Microsoft will continue without cell phones too.

1. Neil Greatorex
      Pint

Re: Surprise, surprise

Top quality post. Have one on me =========>

PS Ever thought about approaching Lewis for a job on the strap-line team?

3. Herer

elop speaks with forked tongue

he's a microsoft stooge who pretended to have nokia's interests at heart, when actually, he's ballmer's gimp.

http://slashdot.org/story/13/09/25/1648215/a-timely-revision-of-elops-burning-platform-memo

4. Yag
    Coat

Commitment?

Only for those who believed Elop. With such a sense of commitment, I wonder why he's divorcing...

Mine is the one I take whenever a female friend start talking about "going to the next step in our relationship". Prehemptive action is the best course of action in order to avoid divorce!

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: Commitment?

Prehemptive action is the best course of action in order to avoid divorce!

Fuck 'em and leave 'em? Certainly seems to work for Microsoft.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nokia or Microsoft?

I think we know the answer. Kill the Symbian store in the hope developers will flock to the new Nokia barren storefront...

I think we also know what happens next.... It's called Developers all carrying on making iOS and Android apps and not caring what Microsoft screw up this week.

1. Ian 55

Re: Nokia or Microsoft?

The teeny problem they've ignored is that killing the Symbian store two years early destroys trust in anything else they say.

6. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Devil

Oh look

Flop fulfilling yet another promise.

7. Martin 63

Save us!

Where is Martin Tasker?

8. Jonathon Green

I spent a number of years working for Symbian, and for Symbian licensees. In that time I met some of the cleverest, most imaginative people I've ever known (and quite often wondered what the heck I was doing there alongside them) and felt I was contributing to something rather special, which I felt genuinely proud to have played a small part in.

And this is how it ends...

In spite of being out of the "family" for quite a few years I'm genuinely sad about this.

Best wishes to everyone who was part of the Symbian story. Heaven knows that (with the benefit of hindsight) mistakes were made along the way but on the whole you have my utmost respect...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Symbian was in decline, Nokia were desperate and they hired Elop. They didn't have to, nobody held a gun to their head and said "hire Elop or I blow your brains out".

You can blame Elop as much as you like but the people in charge of Nokia before him were complacent and clueless, Nokia's situation should never have gotten to the stage that it did with a proper leader in charge.

1. Robert Forsyth

I dun no, it seems like the board members were from non telecommunications backgrounds.

AFAIK, Nokia should have been using the "cash cow" of Symbian to develop some replacement "problem children" into "rising stars" - which is what they did, then threw it away, followed by killing the cash cow and flushing any remaining cash on a former competitors under developed "pet project".

2. Jeff Green

Not quite

At the time they appointed Elop Symbian was the dominant smartphone platform and still growing, if not as fast as Apple's offering. It only went into decline, and disastrously steep decline at that, after Elop told the world he was killing it.

3. Big Van Vader

Errr

"Symbian was in decline"

Nokia was actually growing in the Quarters before the burning platform memo

"Nokia were desperate and they hired Elop"

Nokia had 40% of the Smartphone market when Elop took over

9. Bob Vistakin
    Linux

Windows Phone is the only burning platform

Always was, always will be. :-(

10. Bad Beaver

Good job

fucking up one of the greatest brands ever. Yet another promise kept, hm?

This is bad news, especially considering that a lot of people in the developing markets might be much more dependent on the store than us jaded first worlders.

Regardless: Hats off to all the Symbian and Meego developers whose tireless efforts have brougth us countless benefits over the years. Keep the good stuff coming, we'll keep paying you for it.

11. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Under new management

As the handset business is being sold to Microsoft this is a material change in the business entity and only to be expected if not welcomed. You can be pretty sure that Microsoft is not buying the part that maintains Meego and Symbian, even though that might turn out to be somewhat short-sighted. Giving developers a helping hand port their stuff to Windows Phone and help their customers migrate would cost very little and could be good PR if, for example, some developers and customers become happy converts to the new system. But Microsoft obviously thinks it can do without "developers, developers, developers…"

1. phil dude
      Unhappy

Re: Under new management

we can only hope Jolla/Sailfish may benefit from this. I now own 2 phones that will lose support long before they fail...

Talk about burning platforms, he brought the lighter...

*sigh*

P.

1. Andus McCoatover

Re: Under new management

" I now own 2 phones that will lose support long before they fail..."

My N8 failed a couple of days ago. I threw it to the floor in frustration, smashed the display.

Quandary...shall I get it fixed...

Or get an Android...

<terryfuckwitt mode>

"Erm...erm...erm...

Get it fixed!!!"

</terryfuckwitt mode>

12. Mark .

As a Symbian developer myself - on the one hand, I think it is a mistake to not allow updates, and does contradict the 2016 promise. And I think that they could cut costs more effectively by just cutting the often moronic QA, and adopt a more automated application upload model like Google Play. On the other hand, well, I'm being pragmatic, I realised this day was coming sooner or later. The significant event was losing Symbian, which we've known would happen for over 2 years (although it's not like most the media even acknowledged its existence until after the fact). But actually, I wish WP well - whilst I love Android, the market does well with choice and competition. Much of the cost of losing Symbian is because of losing a massively successful OS, with that not being filled by another OS, leaving us with less choice.

This also highlights the problems of having all or most software distributed through a single site. At least it's a possibility to distribute them elsewhere though, on Symbian. This isn't going to make me flock to IOS.

"Nokia ran down most of its Symbian operation sooner than it had anticipated, as sales fell off a cliff"

I think that's a bit backwards - sales held up very well for the first year or so, and IIRC over 100 million devices were sold after the January 2011 announcement of the WP switch. And sales fell because of dropping the support - fewer new models, hardly any marketing, and no or little distribution in most countries.

"We can only surmise that someone forgot about Elop's commitment during the Nokia-Microsoft negotiations, and it fell through the cracks."

Except Nokia phones division isn't yet part of MS, so this isn't an MS decision.

13. Homer 1
    Paris Hilton

Burning Platforms?

That would be Microsoft's Tiles®, surely.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Embrace, Extend, Extinguish

It's the same old Microsoft. Anyone surprised? Not me.

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad
      Flame

Re: Embrace, Extend, Extinguish

As the platforms are still burning, some extinguishing skills could be handy.

Alas, these skills seem to be lost.

15. jalyst
    Unhappy

Sigh...

I'm past weeping over what could've/should've been with Nokia...

I just feel sorry for MS, with many of Nokia's current leadership taking control, they're next.

16. Captain Scarlet

Hmm

I wonder if the store is suddenly renamed the Microsoft store so they can boost their sales stats.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like