back to article White House promises glitch fix for Obamacare website

The White House has said that it is fixing the software and capacity problems of the new HealthCare.gov website, which is supposed to be enrolling millions of Americans onto the new health plans promised by Obamacare. The site has been having problems since its launch at the beginning of the month, when people were first …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert Helpmann??
    Joke

Take a Number

...visitors to the site were put into a sort of virtual waiting room.

And now we know the real reason Republicans don't like the new system!

1. Ian Michael Gumby

Can we get serious for a second? Re: Take a Number

The site is literally thrown together and crap.

1) Use of external javascripts. For a site that is asking you for PII, this is really a no no... Why do you want to use Google's analyics when you should be doing it yourself. (but that takes time and skills to duplicate a script that shares information with Google.)

2) Scalability. The website and back end didn't scale. They could have gone to AWS built the site and scale out. As some would point out about the security risks... real or imagined... You already have them by the java scripts being used where the site is already sharing information with Google. Note that AWS does have a bunch of security certs...

3) Design. While the WH wanted a common interface (There are Federal and State sites depending on who is running the exchanges...) and common wording/definitions... The site is a pain in the ass. Sort of like the switch to the new iOS from the old iOS. Change for the sake of change sucks... but I digress.

Clearly the CIO of the WH is a maroon...

1. brainbone

Re: Can we get serious for a second? Take a Number

This is what comes from Lowest Price Technically Acceptable (LPTA) source selection used by our government. Just like when you choose the lowest bid for work done on your home, more often than not you end up with crap results.

2. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

Re: Can we get serious for a second? Take a Number

When the Smithsonian changed all it's immeasurable data to run on something that made my Linux box cough and splutter, they dropped all the archives. And ended up with something that didn't fit the W3C rules. (full of errors no idea what it is like now or was until the shutdown I mean.)

I wrote them a not very nice note and got a not very nice one back. I said that they had Googlified their database and made it useless to me (I am reasearching volcanoes) Did I in my ignorance hit their nail on the head?

Off to check out the way back machine. (Pity I neverthought of that sooner.)

2. Oninoshiko

Re: Take a Number

Im not sure why you put a Joke Alert tag here. This is literally one of the reasons they gave for wanted to delay it.

2. Howard Hanek
    FAIL

The government printing office is busily printing tens of millions of coloring books and crayola just received a huge contract. The "Navigators" who are color blind are being pensioned off and we have received absolute assurances that the problem was really the inability of the target groups to read and write. The Common Core curriculum should ensure that for all future generations and ALL government systems will gradually be switched over to the new method.

1. asdf

sigh

There is always one. Congrats you are that guy.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The NSA have a few acres of computers that could be leased out... Oh wait, they're busy doing other important stuff.

1. Graham Marsden

NSA... busy doing other important stuff.

Yep, lol!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/08/nsa_data_centre_electrical_meltdown/

4. Yet Another Commentard

Sim City

Did EA install this lot?

5. phil dude
    Coat

yawn...

Well this is Day N and it still doesn't let me register... at least now I know it due to crap code, I was thinking it was malign political influences....

P.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have to agree that the ability to fprepair for unexpected results is wanting

I am embarassed for my country

7. captain_solo

Foreshadowing

Once the law fully takes effect all those people will move from virtual waiting rooms to physical waiting rooms.

fortunately the government will make sure to have the proper capacity to handle all those actual medical services since that is so much easier and cheaper to provide than something as expensive and complicated as the signing up part of the process...

8. Herby

Wait, wait, wait.

Welcome to government run (anything).

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why is this site still operating. So, they closed all other sites and the only people and agencies that are still open need to be open as they provide a critical service. So, why is this site still operating? The ACA is not funded right now; not much of anything is funded right now.

1. spider from mars

Because the bill that established the ACA included its own dedicated funding. Same with Medicare, same with Social Security - they are not affected by the shutdown.

The debt ceiling, on the other hand, is entirely another kettle of fish. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/10/08/a-very-simple-timeline-for-the-debt-ceiling-crisis/

10. Snipp

States led by Republican legislatures purposely dragged their feet in committing to forming their own state healthcare exchanges. Our governor in Pennsylvania did this. This delay caused uncertainty in the number of people who are looking to sign up through the Gov portal.

Sure, the government site deserves any blame for bad code or lack or scalability, but a lot of Red States are off loading their healthcare responsibilities to the Gov. They didn't do this in a timely fashion so they could maximizing screwing up the deployment of the new system, then sit back and criticize it.

1. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

How is that not treason?

Arab states suffering the same confusion would follow the Nebuchadnezzar mandate of stringing the bastards up. The Persian Empire that followed him would have fed them to lions. What is missing in democracy that we can't have justince from bastards like that?

(I'm speaking as a world citizen now. I am not Uessan. We in Britain have our own scandalous behaviours; eg: How come the Daily Mail is still in business after all the appeasment they got Britain into before WW2?)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like