back to article Microsoft's Azure will bring tiers to your eyes

For those of us who have been in IT for a while the term hierarchical storage management (HSM) has become more than a little old fashioned. HSM was coined back in the bad old mainframe days when a high-capacity 300MB disk cost tens of thousands of dollars. At that time it made sense to have a primary array of disks backed up …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"To do this locally, we could probably get away with paying at most £70,000 for the disks, enclosures, servers and the associated electricity costs over three years"

Someone hasn't got a clue. You would expect to pay ~£15K+ a year just for a rack + power in a decent datacentre.

Then the hardware costs are usually only 20% or so of the lifetime TCO....the 200TB of storage alone will likely set you back circa £70K.

3. K

200TB of consumer-grade disk for as little as £20,000

You could do this for £13-14k, that includes 50x4TB drives and 3 JBOD's for hosting them.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Way too much marketing for my taste.

Well, come on Dothill and Supermicro people, what would 200TB of storage cost? Looking forward to compare the prices.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

15k for rack?

15k for rack and power in a year?? I recommend all my competitors sell at this price. Pretty crazy, where is this, in an Enterpricey DC Ltd?

6. dan1980
    Holmes

Let me see if I get this . . .

I read this article, re-read it and just want to make sure I understand it.

"A cloud-offering is a good way to consolidate legacy storage, but costs more, over time, than doing it yourself and throws up migration and data security issues."

Right?

Two pages?

7. andro

spam

Gee, nice bit of microsoft spam. I hope they paid well for it.

For a competing system, see redhat hats offering.

http://www.redhat.com/products/storage-server/

You can have public, private or hybrid cloud where you can lease extra capacity on an as required basis adding nodes via the net to your own private cloud on an as required basis.

But really, is this even news?

8. jake Silver badge

Whatever.

I've been using this concept with un*x since before microsoft existed.

And the world rolls on ...

9. N13L5

Microsoft shells out cash big time to get press...

...that much is known. The new way to deliver Spam without using a traditional botnet.

Sad that The Reg keeps sending out extraordinary amounts of Shilling articles in their news letters. I would have unsubscribed by now if I didn't know that the rest of the media is just as bad or worse.

They all want to survive and keep their overhead covered. Ok, but its still really annoying! Please don't be a corporate press release relay station.

Some critical thinking in your articles is absolutely required.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why doesn't the NSA offer a backup solution instead of going through Microsoft?

They could earn money and spend a lot less on data acquisition.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like