back to article Police constable 1337 stunned by Lego lookalike

It's not every day that the Venn diagram covering law enforcement, tiny figurines and internet jargon crosses over, but today is such a day. Reports have it that a police constable whose official number is 1337 has been gobsmacked to find that Lego have brought out a tiny plastic plod who not only has the same number - he is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. frank ly
    Happy

re. "...perhaps coincidentally, is a PCSO ..."

No, that's the laughing hand of fate.

(Thank you for the sub-heading!)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PCSO

"This colleague, perhaps coincidentally, is a PCSO (Police Community Support Officer)."

They're known around here as "plastic plods".

1. ADJB

Re: PCSO

You must live somewhere nice - they don't call them anything that pleasant round here.

1. Elmer Phud

" they don't call them anything that pleasant round here'

That's merely exchanging pleasantries, a formal greeting reminding someone of their community status.

2. Captain Queeg

Round here they're Chimps - Completely Hopeless in Most Police Situations.

:-)

3. Shoot Them Later

Not sure I really get all the hate for PCSOs. I mean, I don't see people laying into (say) classroom teaching assistants, and they are a similar thing conceptually - they don't do the same job as their fully qualified counterparts but they fulfill a role all the same. On the other hand, I've not had so much dealings with PCSOs and maybe they are terrible (but if so this would surely be a case for better training and/or job definition?)

Most happy with Lego choosing 1337 for the copper's number. I can imagine that one sailing straight over some manager's head, which is what makes it worthwhile in my view

1. Amazon Wageslave

The issue is the fact that PCSOs exist solely to make the public think that there are more police officers on duty than there actually are. That's why forces across the country have given them virtually identical uniforms to regular coppers. Some are even considering issuing their PCSOs with batons, sprays and cuffs.

I'm sure that many, even most, PCSOs are decent folk who do their job well. It's just that their job shouldn't exist. Scrap them and use the money saved to employ warranted PCs.

3. SoaG

Playmobil recreation?

Or would that cause a rift in the plastic of space-time?

4. Vociferous

Pics or it didn't happen.

One can not report stories like this without photographic evidence.

1. WonkoTheSane
      FAIL

Re: Pics or it didn't happen.

There are pics at the link in the middle of the story.

Fail is you.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Given that the Reg didn't spend a whole lot of effort on this article, given that another rag did the job for them, it might be nice if they did the minimum of legwork and grabbed an image of their own, hmm?

1. theblackhand

Given you're reading and commenting on a story in Boot Notes, being able to avoid wasting the time involved in clicking a second link shouldn't be a concern....

5. MainframeBob

They never visited a gameforum then?

At least the copper can now brag about how great he is.

6. Khaptain Silver badge

Think about the copyright

Don't Playmobil have a copyright against this blatent copy of their character set.

It seems like one of the multiple "copyright defense" lawyers might actualy have a case here, now that would be interesting to follow.....

1. Werner McGoole
      Pint

Re: Think about the copyright

OTOH, it might be a case of impersonating a police occifer.

7. Gomez Adams

1337 means FZ in my world. is this what you are referring to?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

1337 means FZ in my world. is this what you are referring to?

I ws thinking more along the lines of "Թ", actually...

8. Allan George Dyer

They don't look <b>that</b> similar

unless PC Thomas has recently recovered from jaundice.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: They don't look <b>that</b> similar

Similarities :

Same hat

Same badge number

Gay moustache.

Overweight.

Same early 1900s costume.

The both carry a large dildo like device ( ooops truncheon).

Most crims could outrun either of them...

Differences:

The playmobil is probably not a member of a masonic lodge.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

No donuts either.

2. The Indomitable Gall

But they've both got moustaches that wouldn't look out of place in a period drama. OK, so PC Thomas would have to be in an 80s period drama, whereas PC Lego would be more Dickensian London, which means they're really very different, but reality must bend when newspapers seek to write puff pieces.

3. Martin Budden Silver badge

Is PC Thomas' truncheon to scale? (If so, lucky chap!)

9. Elmer Phud

why oh why oh why oh why

isn't PC Thomas called 'John'

PC (plastic cop) 1337 has a BIG truncheon.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: why oh why oh why oh why

And, according to the linked article, his wife finds having her husband immortalised in plastic "highly entertaining!"

10. Steve Crook

Amazing. Not.

Still, it took up space in the the newspaper that would, otherwise, have been filled with bile against immigrants, benefits scroungers, gays, politicians, unions, corporations or 'celebrity gossip'.

There was a time when people used to talk about newspapers like this as only fit to wipe your bum. But I wouldn't want to risk it.

1. Khaptain Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: Amazing. Not.

"Still, it took up space in the the newspaper that would, otherwise, have been filled with bile against immigrants, benefits scroungers, gays, politicians, unions, corporations or 'celebrity gossip'."

Since when did the public at large require anything more ? The "Illiterati " are not allowed to rise above a level which would allow them to remain autonomous...

"There was a time when people used to talk about newspapers like this as only fit to wipe your bum. But I wouldn't want to risk it."

Rupert Murdoch made his fortune from selling toilet paper....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Amazing. Not.

You left out the Express' darling - St. Diana of Sloane.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

1337??

I give in - lots of sites mentioning 1337 but Google isn't telling me what it means ..

1. Chris_J

Re: 1337??

A 26 letter alphabet isn't enough these days to express ones prowess or "leetness" so the interwebz have mangled numbers and other characters into a new alphabet to somehow elevate themselves above all the normal people who have agreed to standardise on English (are there other "leetspeaks" which are based on other languages???)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet

2. retro41

It means LEET - derived from elite. I mainly know it from my FPS games generally referring to a highly skilled player.

Search google with "gamer speak 1337"

3. John Riddoch

I'm assuming this is a troll. The top results for searching for "1337" explain the reference perfectly adequately.

12. Pete 2 Silver badge

I told you ...

> Police constable 1337 stunned by Lego lookalike

... to be careful where you point that TASER

13. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

"PC Rob Thomas"

Now known as "Plastic RobCop"

14. bag o' spanners

Aren't our policemen wonderful-ly humanoid? Although they don't seem to be getting any younger.

15. Zot

It's bright yellow, has the wrong coloured moustache, and it's not round enough by far.

And it holds its helmet on with its mouth!

Yeah, uncanny.

16. Fink-Nottle

I know a fat old policeman, he's always on our street

A fat and jolly red-faced man, he really is elite

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@ Fink-Nottle

"I know a fat old policeman, he's always on our street

A fat and jolly red-faced man, he really is elite"

Rhymes with "beat" - how lucky you are, I thought he "beat" constable had been eliminated decades ago!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Fink-Nottle

Re: @ Fink-Nottle

Well, the original rhyme was 'a treat'.

17. Petrea Mitchell
    Boffin

That many?

"Pretty much one in one, we'd say, given a police force using simple four-figure numbers and with 1337 or more constables in it."

Given that it's a common practice to skip everything with leading 0s, I'd think the minimum force size in many cases is 338.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Thumb Down

Re: That many?

"Given that it's a common practice to skip everything with leading 0s, I'd think the minimum force size in many cases is 338."

Fortunately,the practice of issuing a number to Police officers predates the practice of having to fit numbers into spread sheets or database fields of fixed length so artificially forcing a Police number to be four digits by adding leading zero or starting from 1000 is not an issue.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like