back to article Feds: Silk Road pirate king tried to SNUFF customer AND employee

Alleged online drug kingpin Ross William Ulbricht tried to have not one, but two people involved in the Silk Road killed, according to as US federal court indictment. The Dread Pirate Roberts, as Ulbricht was known online, paid an undercover federal agent $80,000 to torture and kill a Silk Road employee, the indictment, filed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There is an interesting question here

Same as quite a few cases like this including supposed sales of missiles to Iran and so on.

Would DPR (or whoever else) actually pay for a snuff it was not enticed by said employee.

This level and type of agency involvement would have gotten the case dismissed in most European countries.

1. Roo

Re: There is an interesting question here

I tend to be concerned about the enticement thing too, but at the end of the day DPR (allegedly) did transfer non-trivial amounts of cash to make the deal. Even then he may well have felt coerced into agreeing to the hit and wished to keep the assassin off his back by paying up.

2. SoaG

What are you talking about?

They contacted him about finding a buyer for coke

He contacted them about the assault and again to upgrade the assault to murder, no enticement from law enforcement about that whatsoever.

They may also choose not to charge him relating to the coke buy. Instead just use it as evidence that he definitely was well aware of how his website was being used and charge him for facilitating every other deal that went through the site.

3. DrXym

"Would DPR (or whoever else) actually pay for a snuff it was not enticed by said employee."

Given the original criminal complaint had him solicit someone else to be murdered, the answer is probably yes.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did the hitman have six fingers on his right hand?

Also, apparently the torture video was leaked...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbgyppGqBgg

3. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Unreal

"proof of death" and asked the undercover agent to try and get a video of the torture and death, and failing that, pictures, the feds allege.

"Pics or it didn't happen". It would almost be funny, if it weren't so unfunny.

1. Jedit Silver badge

"Pics or it didn't happen"

Not that I go around hiring hitmen, but I would imagine this to be a standard requirement. It makes sense for a hitman to hide the body well, if not actually destroy it outright. Without some form of visual proof, how does the buyer know that the hitman didn't just tell the target to disappear?

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Unreal

"Pics or it didn't happen". It would almost be funny, if it weren't so unfunny.

I suppose at least it's a step up from doing a Playmobil reconstruction... At least we now know why Lester Haines developed his Playmobil expertise.

It is funny though. And deadly serious at the same time. Assuming the information the FBI have released is mostly accurate, the guy does seem to have thought he was operating in a bad cop show.

I must say, I do love the line, "I'm pissed that I had to kill him... Why can't more people have integrity!"

4. Johan Bastiaansen
    Angel

I just wish more people had some integrity

You can't make stuff like that up.

1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
      Happy

Re: I just wish more people had some integrity

" You can't make stuff like that up."

Or as we used to say: "If this was a plot on 'Neighbours ', we'd all laugh at how far-fetched it is!"

2. Cliff

Yes, he sounds like a lovely chap, glad he's not coming round for dinner.

1. Nym
        Devil

"Yes, he sounds like a lovely chap, glad he's not coming round for dinner."

George, don't you remember me?

5. Vociferous

Ah, bitcoins.

And here I was thinking bitcoins were only used by russian mobsters to launder drug money.

1. Cliff

Re: Ah, bitcoins.

No, as well as contraband dealing and tax fraud, there are a few being held by people who bought on the $240 bubble when the newspapers and TV brought them to light, but they are reluctant to lose $100/bitcoin on liquidating them.

6. Allan George Dyer
    Joke

But...

If he'd told the federal agent the mark was a terrorist, he'd have tortured and killed him for free.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: But...

To be fair to the FBI they got very pissed off with the CIA using torture in the early days of the War-on-Terror-thingy. I'm not sure if that's still the case, or whether they've joined in the fun as well now though.

1. Vociferous

Re: But...

To be even fairer, the CIA resisted torturing people to the point that Bush _fired the entire leadership_ of CIA, hobbling the agency's effectiveness for several years. This is also part of the reason why Cheney created a private "parallel CIA", the Office of Special Plans.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Silk road

I can't believe I've only heard of such a site after its closure.

Sad times.

Anonymous because, well, I'm at work.

8. I am not spartacus

"Ross William Ulbricht was arrested in the science fiction section of the Glen Park public library in San Francisco "

Stupid unoriginal b*stard. Why always the SF section, even if the SF section in SF, which is possibly slightly cooler?

This topic is closed for new posts.