back to article Obamacare goes LIVE, and so do the survey-spewing spambots

Obamacare-related spam scams surfaced well before sign-ups to the controversial Affordable Care Act began on Tuesday, 1 October. Spam containing the terms “medicare”, “enrollment” and “medical insurance” started surfacing during the first week of September and continues to clog users' inboxes. Links in the spam messages …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JulianB

"enticing prizes or in this case, Apple products"

Trend Micro aren't fanbois, then?

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: "enticing prizes or in this case, Apple products"

I was about to post the same comment. It's a bit harsh, an iPad is still pretty enticing :)

2. phil dude
    FAIL

teething and...

Still stuck at the "security questions" phase. The system is insisting I have two answers the same..

Apparently, once you get past this "3rd stage" it is quite well laid out.

P.

3. Alan Esworthy

call the govt

If you get scammed, all you have to do is call the govt hotline at 1-800-F1UCKYO.

I did not make that up. Using the Merkin phone pad, that's what you get for 1-800-318-2596.

4. silent_count

Wouldn't it be nice if it were the other way around just once?

'Despite fears, today saw the flawless launch of Obamacare. However many of the spammers and scam artists hoping to capitalise on confusion surrounding the new program have reported a variety of issues with getting their scams ready in a timely manner.

"There are bound to be small hiccups with the introduction of such an extensive new range of scamming programs", said Mr Complete Tool, on behalf of the Association of Spammers and Philchers, following reports of wide scale spam server outages along the American east coast. '

5. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Bad guys

I thought the bad guys in America already had all your information, all your emails, all your phone call and all your website visits anyway - why would they need to spam you ?

6. Shannon Jacobs

This is not the spam your filter was looking for

That's why the spammers' love spam filtering. Live and let spam is the business motto of such incompetents as Yahoo and EVIL spam-lovers as the google. I'll give Microsoft a bit of credit for at least hitting on the spammers upstream.

Why doesn't anyone give US (the vast majority of people who hate spam and spammers) some integrated and effective spam-fighting tools? Don't you want to disrupt the spammers' infrastructure? Wouldn't you like to pursue all of the spammers' accomplices? How about helping the spammers' victims?

Actually, it doesn't matter if you personally say no. There are lots of good people who want to be better, and if we had the tools, we would make the spammers' lives much more miserable than they are. You may think that is difficult, but don't you even want to find out?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like