back to article Chinese building orbital lab by 2023 to make 'space medicine'

China has told the 64th International Astronautical Congress in Beijing that it plans to have a space station in orbit within the next decade, saying it will be used to study space medicine and study the effects on humans of spending long periods away from Earth's gravity. The Nyu Wa space station, named after the Chinese …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Meh

Rover by Christmas?

They'd better get a move on.

1. Oliver Mayes

Re: Rover by Christmas?

The moon isn't very far away (compared to everything else in the universe), transit time from Earth to the Moon is less than a week. They could launch on December 10th and still arrive there before the Queens Speech.

2. Kharkov
    Pirate

Research? Better get the launch costs down first...

Back in the days of Space Station Alpha, research was touted as the number one benefit. Then it, over time, morphed into ISS and, after construction had begun, all mention was quietly dropped.

The reason? Extremely high cost per seat and a strict lack of seats overall. Right now, it's all NASA can do to keep ISS crew levels up, there're just no seats and certainly no budget to get researchers up there.

China wants a multi-module space station in orbit? Great, good for them!

It's going to be a research centre? Not until the PRC can get seat prices way, way down & seat availability way, way up...

1. Mother Hubbard

Re: Research? Better get the launch costs down first...

>> It's going to be a research centre? Not until the PRC can get seat prices way, way down & seat availability way, way up...

This isn't the 60's - aside an abundance of existing research and experimental results and the average first world citizen carrying a full scale NASA supercomputer in his/her pocket, there are now even commercial operators in this market; http://www.virgingalactic.com/booking/

Just take a look at the cost of computing over time; http://www.britannica.com/blogs/2010/04/computers-just-keep-getting-cheaper-and-better-and-we-should-eagerly-await-the-days-ahead/

1. Irongut

Virgin Galactic lol

A fairground ride is not a suitable way to get astronauts and supplies to a space station.

2. h4rm0ny

>>there are now even commercial operators in this market; http://www.virgingalactic.com/booking/

I might agree with your general point that research in orbit becomes more and more affordable every decade, but you undermine your own argument when you put forward Virgin's little trips. I mean they're impressive and they technically get to Space, but anyone who knows about this stuff knows it's not at all like docking with the ISS or a shuttle launch.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

There is a slight difference between getting to space and getting to orbit.

The small matter of accelerating 21,000MPH and then slowing again.

2. NomNomNom

Why do we even need people in orbit?

3. Quxy
    WTF?

"Not for weapons, honestly"

The subhead is a bit incongruous, innit? The Middle Kingdom has long had its human rights issues at home, but since when has it ever showed particular interest in weapons proliferation? The USA and Russia are (by far) the big weapons manufacturers for the world. OTOH, China seems to be more interested in leapfrogging the West on emerging technologies, so space medicine seems perfectly reasonable.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: "Not for weapons, honestly"

The Chinese are HUGE world wide weapons dealers and they are spending crazy stupid money improving their military along with radically changing its strategic and tactical philosophy.

1. Mtech25
        Devil

I mean besides providing Arms for, North Korea, the Khmer rouge, Cuba and possibly doing nuclear deals with Pakistan when have the Chinese ever exported weapons, also possibly Iran, Zimbabwe and Sudan and maybe a few other states but this is China we are talking about here.

2. Tom_

Well, there was that time they used an ICBM to shoot a defunct satelitte out of orbit, causing a right old mess in the process.

1. FrankAlphaXII

I'm assuming that you've never heard of Norinco then? They're the biggest Small Arms manufacturer in Asia. They're also owned by the Chinese People's Liberation Army. As a general, rule countries with alot of money also tend to be big weapons manufacturers.

4. Dom 3

Fourth attempt?

"humanity's fourth attempt to build an orbital facility for humans." - I'm guessing that the first three are Skylab, Mir, and ISS, and for some reason the Salyuts and Tiangong-1 are ignored. On what basis, I do not know.

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: Fourth attempt?

Not to mention Almaz - the military version of Salyut (launched under the names of Salyut-2, 3 and 5 for secrecy)

5. Michael 28
    Happy

Obligatory Dr Evil reference

... it WILL have a circumfluous shark ring, equipped with MEELION watt laser pointers bought off ebay really cheap?

1. h4rm0ny

Re: Obligatory Dr Evil reference

Upvote for the use of 'circumfluous'. Will be using that.

6. an it guy
    Big Brother

named after a goddess?

"The Nyu Wa space station, named after the Chinese goddess credited with creating humanity"

Am I the only one who finds it slightly ironic that the Chinese space section named their 'space station' after a goddess given the inherently god-free nature of communism? Seems an about-turn...

I'll admit to knowing nothing about Chinese Goddesses though.

Big brother because, well, it is China

1. Dr. G. Freeman
      Coat

Re: named after a goddess?

"I'll admit to knowing nothing about Chinese Goddesses though."

Ziyi Zhang ?

Definitely has a heavenly body...

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: named after a goddess?

Not as ironic as the head of a hippie-Jesus church asking him to bless a nuke sub and all who sail in her!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like