back to article Apple rewards developers with bricked iPhone

Developers who eagerly downloaded Apple's beta release of the iPhone developer's kit found themselves without a connection this morning, as the package timed out before a replacement was issued. Developers, of course, shouldn't be using their primary phone to run beta software on - but these days everything is a beta, and few …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jared Earle
    Dead Vulture

Bricked?

"Bricked" means irrevocably turned into a brick. This sounds like something a little less offensive.

Sure, it's not good, but it's not "bricked".

2. Alan Jenney

@Jared

Temporary paperweight?

3. saltyknob
    Dead Vulture

Hardly bricked...

...the current beta firmware has expired, necessitating a download of the updated SDK which has a replacement firmware. iBricked? Nah. Very poor headline.

4. Wayland Sothcott
    IT Angle

Bricked means as electronic as a brick

As an electronic device it's as much use as a brick. However with skill you may be able to unbrick it. Getting to the main circuit board there may well be a J-Tag connection or reset line that can be fed with a signal to bring it back to life.

If it simply requires a new firmware download in the usual way then I would not call it bricked.

5. Jonathan Adams

RE: Bricked?

Bricked is also used when saying that someone 'Bricked' themselves.

If software fails and 'core dumps' or in some way takes out the phone, i'd say that it'd bricked itself.

6. Jacob Reid
    Flame

@Jared

Depends, I wouldn't necessarily describe being bricked as irrevocable, just beyond the means/understanding of a standard luser to fix.

After all, I remember several earlier stories about apple's updates bricking iphones, and people then managing to fix them, just that the average luser with little knowledge won't be able to.

7. FRLinux
    Linux

re: bricked

Well, bricked means unusable due to firmware not working correctly, but it doesn't mean that nothing can be done to revert or fix that behavior.

8. Jared Earle
    Coat

@Jacob

standard luser != developer

http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/B/brick.html

... and ...

"In the strictest sense of the term, bricking must imply that the device is completely unrecoverable without some hardware replacement. If the device can be repaired through software or firmware changes, it's not a brick." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick_%28electronics%29

Sure, it's a Wikifiddler definition, but it's the one most people use.

9. Mo

@Jacob Reid

“Depends, I wouldn't necessarily describe being bricked as irrevocable, just beyond the means/understanding of a standard luser to fix.”

A standard luser isn't too likely to be running developer-only firmware on their iPhone, are they?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Jacob

The earlier stories regarding to Apple updates bricking phones were basically stories about people who used hacked (illegally aletered) versions of the firmware, and thus the updates not being compatible, which is completely within any companies rights to do, as they sell it to you in the state you purchase it, not how you alter it (not that i agree with Apple doing so in this case).

Also as has been pointed out and missed by some posters here, a firmware update is already available, just not an SDK update is all. I've had many occasions when *beta* versions of software ive used has run out and the updates not yet published, so it's not that unusual.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Jacob

The earlier stories regarding to Apple updates bricking phones were basically stories about people who used hacked (illegally aletered) versions of the firmware, and thus the updates not being compatible, which is completely within any companies rights to do, as they sell it to you in the state you purchase it, not how you alter it (not that i agree with Apple doing so in this case).

Also as has been pointed out and missed by some posters here, a firmware update is already available, just the SDK update was not yet available (but now is) is all. I've had many occasions when *beta* versions of software ive used has run out and the updates not yet published, so it's not that unusual.

12. Lozzyho

Gotta love Apple

Jesus, if Microsoft disabled people's workstations when their MSDN subscription ran out, there'd be an outrage. But because Apple do it, it's ok.

Apple don't deserve a development community.

13. Jared Earle
    Gates Horns

@ Lozzyho

Microsoft broke RDC on OSX last week and no-one really complained. Devs can be understanding about betas.

14. Steve Sutton
    Boffin

@FRLinux

"Well, bricked means unusable due to firmware not working correctly, but it doesn't mean that nothing can be done to revert or fix that behavior."

No, they're right! Bricked means irrevocably* in a state, where it cannot be ever be used again, except perhaps as a brick.

* This includes any situation, where there may be means of fixing it, but that these are inaccessible to the public, even via manufacturers' repair centres.

If you've got bad firmware on it, but can (relatively) easily replace it, and re-enable the phone, then it is not a brick.

15. Daniel B.
    Boffin

@Steve Sutton

Usually it is what it means, bricking a device means you're screwed and it won't work. The term has been used for indicating firmware-wipeout cases, usually those where JTAG access/knowledge is required.

See the Sony PSP, you can "brick" it by shutting it down while updating firmware, but then unbrick it using the Pandora Battery trick. Same for the NSLU2 devices if you're stupid enough to wipe the bootloader!

For the PSP case, it was inaccessible to the public until the Pandora Battery project emerged. So until then, it was for all purposes "bricked".

16. Chad H.
    Thumb Down

@lozzyho

The situation is more akin to a trial version of windows 7 running out. If you're using a beta as a production machine, you deserve what you get, be it windows, mac or otherwise.

17. Dr Patrick J R Harkin
    Coat

Bricked?

It's a Jesus phone, remember. It'll be fine in a few days.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like