back to article Google says it's sorry for Monday's hours-long Gmail delays

Google apologized on Tuesday for a networking glitch that prevented emails from reaching many Gmail users' accounts for as much as two hours or even longer. "The message delivery delays were triggered by a dual network failure," Gmail site reliability engineer Sabrina Farmer wrote in a blog post. "This is a very rare event in …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Shannon Jacobs

Let's fix the #1 problem with email: SPAM

Hey, here's a silly idea. Gmail doesn't need more capacity, it needs LESS spam. Why doesn't the google give us some powerful and effective anti-spam tools that allow us (the VAST majority of us who hate spam) help target and destroy the spammers' business models? If you cut them away from the few suckers who feed them money or personal data or zombie computers, then the spammers will not become decent human beings, but at least some of them will move under less visible rocks. Apart from their sociopathic greed, the spammers are also lazy bastards, and if you increase the required effort, many of them will look for easier scams.

Actually, I admit that Gmail has more anti-spammer tools than some of the other email systems. You could even argue that Gmail is the leading email system--but you'd have to twist and turn to find the justifications. For example, below is the link to one of their "best" anti-spammer tools, but if you study how it actually works, you have to conclude it is a piece of garbage compared to what it could be.

https://support.google.com/mail/contact/abuse

Tedious and effectively useless, but it could be made into something useful--though it has been substantially unchanged for as long as I can recall.

So why is the google so tolerant of spammers? I'm convinced it is because of the EVIL that has taken over the company. I used to think it mostly wasn't their fault. After all, the American legal system is written by the most easily corrupted politicians working for the least ethical and greediest businessmen. Of course the rules of the business game reward EVIL. Then I found out that the google is so EVIL as to be the leading lobbyist among tech firms. If you can't beat 'em, join in the EVIL game, eh?

1. Barry Rueger

Re: Let's fix the #1 problem with email: SPAM

Spam? A serious problem at Gmail? Not in my experience.

My e-mail(s) are scattered hither and yon all over the the Internet, and I seldom see more than a dozen messages a day in my Gmail spam folder. (Yes, I do check it daily, for that one message in a thousand that is filtered wrongly. Although it's likely less than that...)

I remember the bad old days of trying to keep my spam filter settings caught up in whatever standalone desktop mail application I was using - the ability to entirely ignore spam is one of the reasons why I like Gmail so much.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not sure you can quite "entirely ignore spam" when you are still checking your spam folder daily!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Indeed, I used to sign up for stuff using a hotmail account because I was worried that it would get spammed... and it does, to the tune of hundreds of messages per day.

Until I realized that GMail is basically immune to spam. I sign up for everything using my GMail account and I get maybe 2 spam messages per week that get past the filters. Maybe 10-20 messages per day in the spam folder.

I assume that when Google is 100% certain that a message is spam, it just gets deleted, and I assume they delete hundreds of emails that are sent to me per day. Thank you, Google.

2. LarsG

Tolerant of spam?

Spam is their life blood of advertising...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Can't remember the last time Spam slipped though on my Gmail account. Gmail spam filtering is easily the best around.

4. smartypants

The cynic in me wonders whether this first post was written by a google marketing bod. Marketeers like it when their product is roundly defended in the face of unfair criticism, and it takes our attention away from the screw-up!

(Still, I was one of those who recommended the reply, as I too find Gmail to be excellent at spam filtering*)

(*Hmm... I'm at it too. Perhaps I'm the gmail marketing bod! Damn! )

5. Bitbeisser
      Thumb Down

Sorry, but just like others, I don't get any (real) spam on any of my GMail accounts (I have several, private and business).

I was effected by this outage, some emails that were send in the morning (7am-8am PST) didn't arrive until late afternoon. One was kind of critical, as it was a business related one, but otherwise, not too bad of an issue.

Again, GMail might not be perfect but spam is certainly not a problem with them. Now those folks that are unfortunate to have a Yahoo email account, now that's a complete different story... :-(

2. Potemkine Silver badge

Some of our users were part of the 1.5%.

Anyway we still have a much better uptime stat than when we were hosting our own exchange server, with much more functionalities for all of our users.

So, still happy with Google Apps, for now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Odd... At my previous employer we had Google mail and found it slow and with a seriously inconsistent UI.

What do you find that you can do in Google Mail that you can't in Exchange?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

" when we were hosting our own exchange server"

Is that 'server' as in the singular?

You should try clustering mate, it's much more resilient!

3. The_H

El Reg, whilst you're at it, you might like to ask Google wtf is going on at YouTube. Love it or hate it, if you use it properly it can be a useful showcase (we use it for disseminating "how to's" for our customers). At the moment though there is so much broken it's nigh on unusable. Our subscribers haven't had a reliable feed of our updates for days now, they have no idea of what we've uploaded. Many videos either don't play or only partially play.

For a socially connected video distribution site, it fails on the only two metrics that matter.

4. mad_dr
    Alert

I shall immediately demand a refund of all the money I pay to use Gmail and YouTube...

Oh wait...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Basically, you now get to show some Google execs all the adverts that they would have shown you during that time. They'll also give up some of their personal information, in order to help you understand them and target that advertising.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Extremely rare...

> "This is a very rare event in which two separate, redundant network paths both stop working at the same time...

... and we've asked the NSA nicely if they could avoid taking both of their pipes down for maintenance at the same time in future.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like