back to article Oracle plugs OpenStack into its cloud

Oracle has adopted the open source OpenStack cloud technology for its upcoming public cloud service, but though the company has made many tweaks and advancements to the technology, it does not appear to have yet contributed code back to the community. The OpenStack announcement was made by the company on Tuesday at the Oracle …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Vociferous

I spent the day upgrading a Windows and a Linux server to MySQL 5.6

I fucking *hate* Oracle now.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The announcement was that Oracle would support the OpenStack API and offer the same interface to cloud users that every OpenStack service must. That doesn't necessarily imply that Oracle is using the OpenStack codebase. We just don't know if Oracle are it using it or not.

Given that Oracle is racing down an fabric computing route (aka engineered systems) it's quite likely that the horizontal architecture PaaS on IaaS model of the OpenStack codebase is of limited use to Oracle, or possibly that they are using it, but that their changes are incompatible with the main source tree.

That's surely the beauty of an industry standard API - the consumer gets consistency while allowing competition and variety from suppliers.

Oracle's record on Opensource is sometimes good - e.g. Oracle is a top 10 Linux contributor out of 200 companies that contributed to the Linux Kernel according to the Linux Foundation, and they have been good guardians of the InnoDB stack (the engine under almost all MySQL databases) since 2005.

1. asdf

>Oracle's record on Opensource is sometimes good

Yean but they have virtually destroyed nearly every other open source project they inherited from SUN which just happened to be some of the biggest in the ecosystem. Thank goodness for forking.

3. JackClark
    Megaphone

Beyond API

I asked Oracle about this and Kurian said they are using it as a provisioning platform and have made numerous enhancements to it. I will be seeking more information throughout the show."

1. Dabbb

Re: Beyond API

Surely acquisition of Nimbula somehow related, no ?

Mystery solved.

1. sapidmolecules

Re: Beyond API

Nimbula for sure. Their Director product delivers exactly what is said: API and Cloud Orchestration.

However, in the very beginning Nimbula's underlying Cloud implementation had nothing to do with OpenStack and, honestly speaking, it wasn't that great. It's not clear to me what they contributed by joining the OpenStack community but eventual Oracle's contribution should now be seen in this context.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like