back to article Ubuntu penguins strain to squeeze out bug backlog by mobe OS deadline

Ubuntu Linux maker Canonical is rushing to finish the smartphone-friendly version of its distro for its 17 October launch. Um Bongo engineer Nicholas Skaggs, writing here, confirmed version 1.0 of Ubuntu Touch will be based on Ubuntu 13.10, which is code named Saucy Salamander. “As part of that release [Saucy Salamander], …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

sigh....

when deadlines come 1st...quality 2nd

Welcome to the world of marketing over engineering.

1. Antonymous Coward
      Mushroom

Re: sigh....

> Welcome to the world of marketing over engineering.

What? In contrast to the four page Microsoft ad which El Reg's loyal commentards are not even being permitted to critique? Irony? We've heard of it.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/09/20/nokia_lumia_1020_review/

1. Steven Raith

62 comments seems like critique to me. If not, something gone badly wrong.

Care to qualify your statement? Or did you see Orlowski byline and assume 'no comments allowed'?

1. Antonymous Coward
          Big Brother

> Care to qualify your statement?

Censorship is ON for all comments. There's conspicuous inaccuracy/bias apparent in the "review" (as you'd expect in an MS piece from AO) yet the usually sharp-eyed "moderated" commentards appear not to have picked up on any of them. The commentary is usually quick to redress any imbalance but there it seems every bit as lop-sided as the "review". The whole thing has a disturbing air of Stepford about it. I wrote an unsympathetic comment which *did* percolate through eventually - so I haven't lost all faith but it was only a response to a trivial thread by fellow commentards. I might have a suitably cynical crack at prodding some of the more glaring flaws in the actual "review" if I get some time mañana... If I'm disappeared, you'll know what happened! ;o)

1. Mike Taylor

Go for it, post your comments and we'll see if you're right or not.

2. Refugee from Windows

Squeeze out bug backlog

At least they're being honest about it. Unlike others who'd just release the bug ridden system to unsuspecting world and then spend months saying that "nothing is wrong".

1. h3

Re: Squeeze out bug backlog

They have only ever managed one somewhat reasonable release in the entire history of the distro - Dapper Drake. They then proceeded to destroy any goodwill by pushing an update that broke X.

They are total cowboys who put all the effort into the wrong places.

3. agricola
    Boffin

S.O.S.S.: SAME OLD SHUTTLEWORTH SH*T

"Shuttleworth, speaking at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES), said he was committed to unleashing a “full smartphone experience”, powered by Ubuntu 13.10, on the world."

Hasn't Shuttleworth unleashed far too much on the world already?

"Shuttleworth wants his distro to power 'tablets, phones, TVs and smart screens from the car to the office kitchen'."

Hasn't Shuttleworth unleashed far too much bullshit on the world already?

"Given how far short that project [Shuttleworth's crowdsourcing fiasco] fell, and given the huge amount of coverage it generated, we were left wondering whether the whole thing wasn’t just cheap PR ..."

"Hasn't Shuttleworth unleashed far too much cheap PR bullshit on the world already?

1. fskmh

Re: S.O.S.S.: SAME OLD SHUTTLEWORTH SH*T

The only bullshit unleashed on the world w.r.t. noobuntu tablets was your fatuous blathering.

1. agricola
        Boffin

Re: S.O.S.S.: SAME OLD SHUTTLEWORTH SH*T

Learned some new words from your comic books, today, eh?.

Pity, but the only new word you learned, you misspelled:

The word is not "noobuntu", but rather "NoUbuntu".

Kindest regards...

4. Tommy Pock

Wow, Reg commentards hate EVERYTHING.

I'm excited about this and I want to try it.

1. Steven Raith

I'm curious too, providing it has the usual requirements - SMS, MMS, calls, decent secure lockscreen, good email client etc - IE enough to make it a usable daily driver.

1. codejunky Silver badge

I have every intention of moving from a smart phone back to a standard mobile. I just have no use for the extra features nor apps. However a linux mobile which runs as a mobile PC I might be interested in. I look forward to seeing this in action

5. btrower

Finally, I can shell into my phone.

Once I'm on the command line, RDP is not far behind. Already do that on an Ubuntu machine here. This could make me ditch my iPhone.

6. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

I'm curious to see how this pans out, but not interested enough to spend money on a product.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No problem. It's FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.................

7. TheFiddler

It's lacking a lot

I've been running the developer preview on a Nexus 4 for a month now. At the moment all that's really working right is the phone and SMS. The built in facebook and twitter feeds have never reliably remembered my account information and many of the other apps seem to open a white or black screen and never finish loading (at least not with my patience). The most glaring omission at this point is the lack of an email client and I can't see hide nor hair of one in the core apps section at Ubuntu's website so the Gmail browser-window-app is pretty much all you have. At least an ability to show if you have unread mail in your mail would be nice. I do like the UI though and that feels rather polished and nice, I'm interested to see if they can bring the rest of the OS up to the level in the next month.

1. agricola
      Boffin

Re: IT'S LACKING A LOT

What else would you expect from Shuttleworth?

S.O.S.S.

8. Aitor 1

I don't like Ubuntu. I used to like it, but no more!

So my guess is, I won't like it for mobiles.. and I think I'm not alone...

9. agricola
    Boffin

A SHUTTLEWORTH DEADLINE? DOES THE WORD 'OXYMORON' RING A BELL?

"I LOVE deadlines. I like the 'whooshing' sound they make as they go rushing by."

--Douglas Adams

and, obviously (based ONLY on everything he's EVER announced), so does Mark Shuttleworth.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like