back to article Final preview of IE11 for Windows 7 uncanned

A preview of the final build of Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 has been released by Microsoft, bringing "30 per cent more speed" than any of its rival browsers when run on the OS, according to Redmond. It also supports multi-touch, and although there aren't very many Windows 7 touch PCs out there, this might be useful for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. returnmyjedi

I could use 30% more speed. My usual snoutful just ain't tickling my ivories anymore.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

30%

Thats a 30% reduction in the time it takes to download Chrome.

Not to be sniffed at.

1. Ragarath

Re: 30%

Err no, that would be a 30% reduction in the time it takes to render the webpage to click the download link.

Seeing as how the page is not that heavy in the first place I am afraid you may not notice it!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If is crashes like IE10 then I'll pass

Logged into Webmail and it is sitting there idle and within an hour I'll get the crash notification window come up

'Internet Explorer has stopped responding'

as it is so tightly bound up in the O/S internals I give a little shudder every time this appears.

Funnily, logging into the same webmail system from an old XP box with IE8 and it stays running all day no crashes.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: If is crashes like IE10 then I'll pass

Your PC is likely to blame. Or it's one of those freak cases - you can find at least one person for who any app you think of simply won't work, to the mystification of developers.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re:Your PC is likely to blame.

As If!!! Though to be fair, it's running WINDOZE so maybe.... If only I could run the beauteous OS of freedom on my pc all would be right with the world!!

2. Irongut

Or it could be IE. Theres a well known bug that if you open a certain number of tabs in IE10 it crashes. IIRC it's 40 tabs and it crashes every time. Chrome and FF have no problem with that many though.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Thats because opening up more than 10 tabs in Firefox will grind your machine to such a halt that it become unusable.

BTW ALL browsers have issues. Show me 1 that render pages correctly on 100% of the time and works with 100% of webapps, it don't exist.

1. Richard 22
            Thumb Down

I have well over 100 tabs open in FF currently, and the machine is running fine. 32bit win7.

1. Ian 55

Erm, blush, it hasn't been fewer than five hundred here for years...

... and yes, it's fine with that.

Meanwhile, I am wondering how Opera uses 1.4G RAM for four tabs.

2. Fatman

Thats because opening up more than 10 tabs in Firefox will grind your machine to such a halt that it become unusable.

NOW, if you are using it on a Pentium 4 with only 512 mb of RAM, then it most likely run as slow as molasses in a Vermont winter. I know, because I once had such a dog. A newer rig running a i3 and 4gb of RAM is so much faster.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It could be just your PC or it could be your operating system - the story reminded of that old Microsoft mantra "DOS ain't done till Lotus won't run".

Perhaps "WinDOwS 7 ain't done till Chrome won't run"

4. poopypants

@JDX (Re: If is crashes like IE10 then I'll pass)

You must work in Quality Assurance.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Trollface

30% more speed...

... from the Intel school of benchmarking.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: 30% more speed...

What about the benchmark MS created because SunSpider didn't suit them? Though, to be honest, I thought pretty much everyone had stopped referring to SunSpider results because they no longer reflect UX very much (all JS engines have got so fast that they are no longer the bottleneck).

Does it do SPDY or HTTP 2?

1. Malcolm 1

Yes to SPDY (v3) no to HTTP 2.0 - does any browser support this nascent standard yet?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

SPDY is missing in the Windows 7 version, as well as several other things...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ie/dn394063%28v=vs.85%29.aspx#unsupported_features

4. 404

Shiver me timbers

Aye, the scurvy is hell on me crew if ye infernal navigatin' rumware kills me men three-an-nought percent faster..

Damn ye eyes! A pox ona all ye houses!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder how fast it runs on:

Android, Linux and Mac OS X?

Not as fast as the alternatives...

;-)

6. Spoonsinger

So is "candidate recommendation specification",

at 'Proposed Recommendation' level or actually at 'W3C Recommendation' level?

1. Spoonsinger

Re: So is "candidate recommendation specification",

ok it's at the 'Candidate Recommendation' level, doh! Nothing to see here.

1. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

Look in your post history and you'll see you can withdraw a comment.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Look in your post history and you'll see you can withdraw a comment."

Nice to see someone here willing to own up. Shame to see some others can't resist an opportunity to lecture people. Be a shame if those people turn this place into something like the userfriendly.org forum ...

7. Gordon Stewart

"It also supports multi-touch, and although there aren't very many Windows 7 touch PCs out there, this might be useful for businesses using Windows 8 PCs..."

What, both of them?

How many businesses are running Windows 8?!

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Very few, but lots of people are running Windows 8 PCs that have been upgraded to Windows 7. A couple of them might be laptops with touch screens.

1. izntmac

I like how you refer to Windows 7 as an UPgrade to Windows 8 instead of a DOWNgrade. I guess in a sarcastic sense this is a true statement. Windows 7 is much better than Windows 8. It works well!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I like how you refer to Windows 7 as an UPgrade to Windows 8 instead of a DOWNgrade. I guess in a sarcastic sense this is a true statement. Windows 7 is much better than Windows 8. It works well!"

Well spotted - I'd never seen it practically every day since Win 8 came out either ...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Never Mind the Quality, Feel the Width

30% fewer patches!

Great!

9. JDX Gold badge

Happy about WebGL

It's a cool tech. Although not happy about the idea I might personally have to write JS to use it!

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Curtis

Compatibility MOde

It will be interesting to see if my employer's customer facing webmail will still have to be viewed in Compatibility Mode, as well as several of our CPE Firmwares that have been in place for 5 years. Works fine on IE9. Works fine on FF. Works fine son Chrome. Works fine on Safari. It would be nice is MS could quit trying to redefine the web and just deliver what works with current standards.

12. h3

I wouldn't mind using IE if I could get it to block adverts as well as Firefox + Adblock Plus.

No interest in Chrome. (Or logging into Google accounts after they started the annoying deceptive techniques to keep me logged in).

13. Ottman001

An imaginary conversation with Microsoft

Hey Microsoft. I'm just fixing a compatibility issue with your browser. And then my latest creation will be ready. Its so tempting to release it now but you know how it is, you don't want to upset your users with poorly tested code. I mean! Who would do that, right?

The thing is, I don't understand what "SCRIPT87: Invalid Argument" means. The causes of this message that I have found on the web do not apply in my case. I have spent two days on this one. I think the disturbed sleep and fear of a missed deadline are starting to affect my mind. I've been having these dark thoughts. You know, I'm a kind natured, gentle person, don't you?

I think I should see a doctor. I've noticed recently that the words "Internet Explorer" cause me an uncontrollable nervous twitch. Perhaps you guys could do me a favour, do we really need another browser bearing that name? Perhaps you could call IE11 something else? Or you could just wait another couple of months before releasing IE11? You could do a bit more testing in that time. You do do testing, don't you? You know, "testing", making sure a product works before you release it?

That's what I've been doing recently. Well, I was until two days ago. Oh, you're adopting a quick release schedule? Great. What are you doing to make sure your mistakes don't live on and on? After all, you do remember IE6, don't you?

I think it is time to accept you're just no good at writing browsers. Actually, come to think about it, you're no good at operating systems either. Perhaps you guys should run along to the careers advisers office. Haven't you done enough already?

I just don't think I can take much more. I sometimes wonder if any of this is real. I wonder if IE warped my mind. Sometimes I imagine that you're not really there, perhaps, I'm just blurting all this out on a web forum. But then I realise, that's just stupid talk.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Fatman
      WTF?

Re: An imaginary conversation with Microsoft

Q: Perhaps you could call IE11 something else?

A: Try "shit on a stick".

14. itzman
    Joke

Microsoft.

The browser that goes up to 11....

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IE 11 faster?

We have a 'dynamic' webform creation service that creates a HTML(5) form + accompanying jQuery/javascript based on an (enriched) XSD. For one customer, that XSD become so big (9MB), that the resulting form contained thousands of controls (tabs, inputs, ...), and the (already optimized) JavaScript file contained a million lines of code.

Now, when we open this (huge) form, it takes max 5 seconds in FF and Chrome, but 20+ seconds in IE 7/8/9/10/11. There was a performance downgrade in 9 and 10, but 11 is back at performance level of 8 and lower, but nowhere near the performance of FF and Chrome.

Automatically filling this form with data (XML), will take up to 20 secs in FF/Chrome, but tens of minutes in IE (any version) or would even crash IE.

So, on what are they basing their performance claims????????

The problem we face is that a customer is bound to IE(9), and all we can tell is that 'according to official benchmarks IE should be the fastest browser', but in fact you'll have to switch to FF or Chrome, or live with the slowness of IE....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like