back to article South American with a dumb phone? Think Facebook can't get to you? THINK AGAIN

Digital security outfit Gemalto has extended its SIM-based Facebook client to include Facebook Messenger, so dumbphone users can chat directly to each other as well as update each other's walls. Gemalto's LinqUp SIM app has already connected Facebook to basic handsets in Argentina, Colombia and Chile, enabling the cheapest of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ravenviz Silver badge

facebook?

"This has nothing to do with me. ...Cyril."

/estherrantzen

2. David Black

SIMs can be updated to add additional SIM Toolkit Apps OTA... but it depends on the SIM and it's capacity etc. Actually I think a lot of people would be amazed at the capabilities of a smart SIM... not quite Raspberry Pi but certainly great for demonstrating basic programming (some are even Java based). Shame the kit is all targeted at the operators.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook is big in these here parts, but my perception has been that people have already moved to low-end smartphones, at least in the urban areas --- yeah, yeah. I'm an effing urban slicker.

In Bogotá, Medellín, Cali and other big and mid-sized cities in Colombia you see the equivalent of the chav with his/her Blackberry on hand, --- Colombia is one of the few countries where Blackberry still had a dominant presence in the market, at least till last year. Although low/mid-end Android phones are more popular by the day. There are very cheap EDGE plans and 3G is expensively accessible (2GB a month for US$13 at today's exchange rate; varies wildly). Low end phones are becoming a thing of the past, at least among the youth.

4. Buzzword

"The power of SIM applications is that they run on any GSM phone."

Will they run on an iPhone?

(Not that you'd want to, but I somehow can't picture it working.)

1. chris lively

I'm sure there's an app for that

2. dilbert77

They do run on the iPhone. My SIM card already has a few apps, preinstalled by the phone company.

Look under Settings -> Phone -> SIM applications.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like