back to article Boffins demo on-chip entanglement at macro scale

Quantum computing watchers are familiar with the idea of entanglement – the “spooky action at a distance” that gives rise to quantum teleportation. Now, a team led by the University of Queensland is claiming a different kind of first: quantum teleportation between two spots on a single chip. Not only that: but unlike schemes …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. poopypants

I didn't understand a word of that

Then again, I'm 60 years old and (so others keep telling me) past it. What's your excuse?

1. Fogcat

Re: I didn't understand a word of that

Don't worry too much, I have a physics degree (from many years ago now) and I don't really "get it" either.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I didn't understand a word of that

What's your excuse?

I blame Thatcher / Blair / Immigrants / Bi-Weekly Bin Collection, oh hold on CALPOL!

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

They appear to have created a 0.2mm wide "virtual" atom

Which is a hell of a lot easier to handle.

And note that if you can build one of these chips you can build more.

If I'm reading this right using microwaves instead o light means you can take many fewer measurements to establish the quantum state than you need with light. This gives the data rate of 10Kbps, but I don't know if that's good or not.

Historically digital logic took off when a)Standardized chips became available (the TTL 7400 series, but there were predecessors) and mathematical tools like Karnough maps and the Quinn McKlusky algorith for logic minimization.

I think this field still lacks the latter but this might be the start of the former.

Thumbs up for the work.

3. Measurer

Ahhhh....Karnaugh.....

The days of logic minimisation, 'don't care' states and little rings around clusters of ones and zero's are long gone....

4. Stratman

Does this mean

we'll finally get the 'IF' and 'BUT' gates I could have done with back in the seventies?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "the 'IF' and 'BUT' gates"

Not probable, but there is a chance for Microwave Assisted Yield Bracketed Excitator gates.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like