back to article Apple ships new iPods in 'SPAAAAACE ... Gray'

Apple has quietly updated several of its iPod media players with a new color option to match its latest flagship smartphone, the iPhone 5S. The new mobe, which debuted at a media event in Cupertino on Tuesday, comes in three different color schemes: the rather prosaic Silver and Gold, and the oddly named "Space Gray". Now a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JDX Gold badge

iPod Classic doomed?

Or is it simply going to languish for years, available but poorly promoted, like the Mac Pro - niche but not worth killing off?

1. Jolyon Smith

Re: iPod Classic doomed?

I take it you haven't seen the revamp coming for the Mac Pro ? www.apple.com/mac-pro

OMG it's gorgeous.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Revamp a MacBook Pro?

Perfection cannot be revamped.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: iPod Classic doomed?

Moon grey maybe, but space is black.

2. FartingHippo
    Boffin

What is this "gray"?

Gray? The colorcolour you're looking for is Space Grey.

Tch. Damn colonials!

1. MondoMan

Re: What is this "gray"?

'tis not a chutney.

1. Anonymous Custard
        Joke

Re: What is this "gray"?

50 shades of iPod?

3. Fihart

Anyone buys iPods anymore ?

Good player, stupid iTunes. Last week had to restore iPod which had been corrupted, taken to Apple Store who reformatted it -- to Mac, not Windows which it had been used with.

Tried to restore via oldish existing iTunes installation but this (for some reason) insisted on getting an update, but could not connect to Apple's server (presumably address changed.

So downloaded new version of iTunes, which insisted on Service Pack 2 being added to WinXP (not previously updated because this PC is virtually unused). Whole operation took a morning.

Now compare with Sony MP3 player -- works unmodified with Windows or Mac, add music files without installing any software on PC, just drag and drop files.

Why would anyone buy an iPod ?

1. intrigid

Re: Anyone buys iPods anymore ?

Better yet, why not just use a Galaxy S3 and copy your music wirelessly if need be? And be allowed to install the best music playing software in the world, and be free from format restrictions. You can even store all your music in lossless format, and if you run out of space, swap out your memory card with a cheap SDXC!

1. Michael Habel

Yeah 'cause Android can pick up on all those wonderful *.m4p (AAC DRM), and *.wma (DRM) Files. Another Format the stock Android Player just ~loves~ id the *.m4b (Audiobook Format), which may or may not actually be encrypted. Sure you can get an "App for that" like Akimbo to play that Format back. But, intuitive its not.

2. Michael Habel

Well back 'round 10 or so Years ago... They were the Dogs Bollocks! Now that any cheapo $2.00(USD) Phone can almost do the same. Yeah I have to agree the iPod has kinda lost its way. Taken that iTunes has / is progressively / constantly, getting worse with each alliteration. Yeah why would you continue to use an iPod.

3. jonathanb Silver badge

Yes, the iPod touch is a very cheap way to get an iOS device if you don't require GPS, and don't mind having wifi as your only connectivity option.

4. John Bailey

Good thing Apple stiff just works. Eh?

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

iTunes is a pile of dog doings, I got sick of it. Dumped it in favour of MediaMonkey.

Now I decide how my library is organised, it's not at the whim of some desk-jockey developer in Cupertino who decided that a small minor change is nothing! Mr Developer doesn't reckon on some of us with MP3 libraries in excess of 750GB and 75,000 tracks. Not everyone has just two Phil Collins albums and an 80's compilation in their 30MB iTunes library and rely on Spotify. Yeah just change the directory structure Mr Developer, just a small change is all! All well and good but my library being a bit on the large side is stored on a NAS box and it took the best part of 3 days to update the structure last time you faffed with it!!

4. ChrisB 2

The colour of political correctness?

Is space grey the new gunmetal?

5. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

O realy

Well, my H300 (still going strong) is Space Black. What's more, it's shiny and has rounded corners.

6. Angol

The top of the range Sony is good but the Cowon Z2 is better. Not as pretty but with superb sound, tactile skip/back/pause controls and expandable to 96GB, possibly to 160GB, while the Sony's stuck with 32GB.

7. stucs201

To quote Apple's own web site (*)...

..."One word. Capacity".

How about increasing it instead of messing with the colour?

(*) On the classic page

8. J 3

Space Grey

Whatever the reason for the name, still much better colour than those of the new iPhone 5C, natch.

9. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Alien

Mixed metaphors

In fifty shades of space gray, no-one can hear you scream...

10. Cliff

I'm worried

My Samsung Galaxy Note 2 is a grey colour, am I going to get it taken off me now Apple have invented it?

11. Frankee Llonnygog

Space Gray

If you sum the luminosity of all light emitting bodies in the universe, then plot their mass against the total mass of the universe, you can then divide the luminosity value by that ratio to arrive at Space Gray.

1. SuperTim

Re: Space Gray

But confusingly, all stars are black-body emitters! so are they not "black"?

12. Big_Ted

Space Grey WTF

Space is black not grey......

Bloody Apple and their reality distorting PR......

13. Maharg

Are you sure your phone is black?

As Father Ted says

"That's right, Dougal. You see, ordinary shops sell what look like black phones, but if you look closely, you'll see that they're very, very, very, very, very, very, very dark space grey."

"That's true. I thought my Uncle Tommy was on a black phone, but when I looked at him closely, it was just very, very, very, very, very, Very, very, very, very dark space grey."

Never buy black phones from a normal shop Dougal... (whispers) They shaft you every time!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like