back to article New iPhones: C certainly DOESN'T stand for 'Cheap'

You wanted new iPhones and you got them. But if anything, the most surprising thing about Apple's big Tuesday reveal was just how little it managed to keep secret from the tech media ahead of the event. As predicted, Cupertino unveiled not one but two new iPhone models – a first – and just like everyone thought, they are named …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ketlan
    Trollface

Affordability my arse

'New iPhones are just what you expected – unless you expected affordability'

Hands up everyone who thought the new 'cheap' iPhones would actually be cheap. I thought not.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Affordability my arse

>"So how much will all this set you back? Not too much, as it turns out... $849"

$850 "not too much" for A FUCKING PHONE? What the hell is McAllister smoking? $100 bills steeped in mescaline? Methinks El Reg could cut the staff salaries a bit.

And why no mention of the prices of the unashamedly plasticy cheapo rehash model?

And, speaking as a chemist, WTF is "It's manufactured from a single piece of hardened polycarbonate" supposed to mean? Marketeer for "an injection moulded blob of uber-scratchable plastic with a toughened-glass-esque sales spin applied"? Or have they actually managed to innovate an industry standard ever so slightly less uber-scratchable paint/lacquer finish onto it? My mind is boggling with excitement.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ah no! Found it...

$650 for last years model shoved into a cheapo polycarbonate case. Bargain! Think I'll buy ten. Be the envy of morons across the land I will.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If I wanted a bright coloured phone I would get a Nokia Lumia. Superior technology and a better OS is available on Lumias too...

1. Mark .

Indeed (plus Samsung at least have been doing a range of colours for their phones too). It's interesting to note that one of the biggest criticisms now for WP is that MS are slow in getting support for full HD.

Full HD - 1920x1080.

Meanwhile, the "retina" display has yet to reach the 720p HD that Android phones were doing almost two years ago.

2. Edwin

Plus it's CHEAPER than the affordable iPhone...

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Apple are now becoming so predictable. Coloured plastic backs are indeed the signature of the Lumia range of phones. They take a little from one rival, a little from another, mix it all together and then condemn the rest as ripping THEM off! Hypocrites!

YES the 5C phones ARE much cheaper, just not to the CONSUMERS. Nice way to grow margin.

Let's be bold and make a prediction - new range of ipad / ipad minis with PLASTIC BACKS! Whoo!

Who'd have thought that?

Fingerprint reader - YAWN. Innovation? Had it on an old lenovo laptop - I hope they've thought of a bypass for it so techies can work on the bloody things without requiring one of your fingers....

3. Robert Grant

I know it sounds like griping, but you'll never get an even remotely mainstream journalist writing honestly about the iPhone's flaws, because it'll alienate so many (normally right-thinking, but weirdly fanatical about Apple) readers and will be claimed to be disproven because it'll still sell pretty well.

I'd say the articles should be summarised as follows: the iPhone is now looking extremely overpriced, with good and better competition from other companies in the market. It no longer even appears to lead in hardware design. The only real reason to buy it is the current maturity of the App Store relative to other stores, but even this is much less apparent than it used to be, and you can probably re-buy all of your non-free apps in another ecosystem and still have a lot more money in your bank account.

1. Mark .

Sadly true. Odd that the "but it sells well" never works for the sales on Windows (including 8), or Symbian which was the number one until 2011, and outsold iphone even after then; or indeed Android's overwhelming 75-80% market share today. Plus the metric for whatever sells well will always be twisted (e.g., iphone was a success after one million sales, yet selling millions is a failure for Surface, and the best selling smartphone of all time, the 2009 Nokia 5230 with 150 million sales, is completely ignored).

Note that Google Play now leads in apps - I believe they were first to reach the one million milestone.

Did it ever lead in hardware design? It had some up points (e.g., first with a GPU), but also some down points (e.g., rubbish resolution compared to the competition back in 2007-2009, and first version didn't even support 3G). The Android and even WP flagship hardware now soar passed it, and have done since around the S2, I would say.

4. That Awful Puppy
        Pint

While I'm unashamedly a Cupertino fanboi and while I do love the not-so-bloody-serious look of the 5C, this line had me spitting coffee all over my shiny MacBook Air.

"Marketeer for "an injection moulded blob of uber-scratchable plastic with a toughened-glass-esque sales spin applied"?"

Well done, sir, and have a beer, you deserve it.

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What the hell is McAllister smoking?

so wait, it's not okay for him to use sarcasm, but perfectly fine for you to smother both your post and your follow-up afterwards in the stuff??

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>so wait, it's not okay for him to use sarcasm, but perfectly fine for you to smother both your post and your follow-up afterwards in the stuff??

Who said "it's not ok" and what's wrong with reciprocating in kind?

6. Moosh

Iphone 5c for $99 on a fucking 2 year contract? Jesus christ, that's more than i'll be paying for the bloody Xperia ZU when I get it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"$99 on a 2 year contract" is utterly meaningless without knowing what you get on the contract and what the monthly subscription is....

Phone companies can only use this approach for really gullible and clueless punters that can't comprehend the total cost of a contract. I note that it seems to be standard practice in the USA....

7. Robert Forsyth

@03:15 GMT Anonymous Coward

Polycarbonate is used for bullet proof glass, a'nt it? In 2011 Nokia were machining* the phone case out of a single piece of polycarbonate, Apple are innovating again.

* I think they meant machine finishing: mould it roughly the right shape then precise cut with machine tool.

8. Mike Flugennock

Speaking as a non-chemist -- but an old spaceflight geek -- polycarbonate is also the stuff they make pressure suit helmets out of with, as I recall, a similar molding process.

2. amanfromearth

That aside, it looks like Apple have lost their mojo. Jobs would not have sanctioned this product lineup. Where is the insanely greatness in in anything released since his passing.

Sorry apple, you are just too slow to innovate and lack imagination.

RIP Steve.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge
        FAIL

Fingerprint sensor that looks like it might actually be useful (for unlock and app purchasing) - AND might actually work,

All-new 64bit SoC - pretty damn amazing in a PHONE, FFS

Separate motion co-pro means future accessories won't need to fire up the whole A7 to get their thing on, sounds innovative to me...

Camera that will probably take better pics than your average $150 compact,

I'm not sure what you're looking for exactly in terms of innovation, but if this doesn't flick your switch you might be in for a long wait. I thought readers on this site were supposed to be interested in what's under the shell, and THAT is pretty damn innovative here.

The 5C on the other hand, not so much.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>Fingerprint sensor that looks like it might actually be useful (for unlock and app purchasing) - AND might actually work,

Rather than pins, passwords, gestures, etc... which all DO actually work?

>All-new 64bit SoC - pretty damn amazing in a PHONE, FFS

- pretty damn demented in a PHONE, FFS

>Separate motion co-pro means future accessories won't need to fire up the whole A7 to get their thing on, sounds innovative to me...

Can't see much purpose in making the handset constantly aware of it's motion while it's dormant. Isn't that what wearable stuff is supposed to be about doing better anyway?

>Camera that will probably take better pics than your average $150 compact,

A joke? Any $150 compact will wipe the floor with your $700 iShiny.

1. NogginTheNog

">All-new 64bit SoC - pretty damn amazing in a PHONE, FFS

- pretty damn demented in a PHONE, FFS"

I recall a conversation with a friend of a friend MANY years ago when I said his dad was crazy for buying a 486 computer for the family. That was only really needed in a server (such as they were back then!), not a desktop... ;-)

2. Lusty

"Rather than pins, passwords, gestures, etc... which all DO actually work?"

You mean like the PIN that people can see over your shoulder, or the thing on Android that actually draws the passcode in bright green for all to see? This isn't going to be highly secure but it can and will stop casual breaking in on phones, and a lot of Fraping no doubt.

1. Kunari

You can shut off the "green line" on Android for the pattern unlock screen.

3. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

>>Fingerprint sensor that looks like it might actually be useful (for unlock and app purchasing) - AND might actually work,

> Rather than pins, passwords, gestures, etc... which all DO actually work?

.. and which are forgotten, copied, written on sticky pads etc etc. Usual for and against arguments apply.

>>All-new 64bit SoC - pretty damn amazing in a PHONE, FFS

> - pretty damn demented in a PHONE, FFS

Matter of opinion, see next for a possible use of all that power. Personally, what I see happen here is exactly what happened when Psion went from 8 bit organisers to SIBO (16 bit organiser): deployment in an easy device before expanding the technology through the range. Is the iPad 64bit? If not, I know where this chip will show up next.

>>Separate motion co-pro means future accessories won't need to fire up the whole A7 to get their thing on, sounds innovative to me...

> Can't see much purpose in making the handset constantly aware of it's motion while it's dormant. Isn't that what wearable stuff is supposed to be about doing better anyway?

Not dormant, but not in need of A7 processing - it's a subsystem. Duh. Same reason you have a separate graphics card which kicks the crap out of your main processor when it comes to chewing on graphic calculations. One of the possible reasons for this is ..

>>Camera that will probably take better pics than your average $150 compact,

> A joke? Any $150 compact will wipe the floor with your $700 iShiny.

.. the camera stabilisation. The idea of taking a couple of images with motion data attached is new, because acquiring and processing that data takes power too - hey, hello, a subsystem suddenly makes sense. And not having moving parts like gyros means less mechanics, ergo less risk of mechanical failure.

Oh, and ever tried to make calls with a $150 compact? No? Funny that.. I'm Ok with sensible arguments, yours aren't.

1. LyingMan

>>>Fingerprint sensor that looks like it might actually be useful (for unlock and app purchasing) - AND might actually work,

>> Rather than pins, passwords, gestures, etc... which all DO actually work?

>.. and which are forgotten, copied, written on sticky pads etc etc. Usual for and against arguments apply.

... ah, iUsers.. Forgot all about them ... Sorry!

Camera Stabilisation -

-.. is a misnomer as neither the camera nor the optical system is stabilised.

If there is motion, the photos could be messed up regardless of the motion chip captured data. 'Cos, motion chip just captures data, does not apply corrections!

Also you have not used a recent £150 (well, I am a Brit!) compact.. Takes really good pictures nowadays.. Welcome to the present! One can even get a optical image stabilizer with optical zoom if one looks for even the £80 compacts! Don't you come here badmouthing the compacts, you Villain!

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Camera Stabilisation -

-.. is a misnomer as neither the camera nor the optical system is stabilised.

Yup - inaccurate wording there - you're right.

If there is motion, the photos could be messed up regardless of the motion chip captured data. 'Cos, motion chip just captures data, does not apply corrections!

Correct, but what I see here is a possible different approach which seems to align this heavy duty motion processing with the camera. To be honest, I can't see *that* much need for motion sensing otherwise, but that may just be a lack of imagination on my part :). What can happen here is basically a removal of mechanics for this insane quest for ever thinner phones - I would have preferred someone to use that space to give more battery power, but it appears Apple seems to think we all just move from charger to charger during the day.

Also you have not used a recent £150 (well, I am a Brit!) compact.. Takes really good pictures nowadays.. Welcome to the present! One can even get a optical image stabilizer with optical zoom if one looks for even the £80 compacts! Don't you come here badmouthing the compacts, you Villain!

:). I wouldn't. I've been a long time user of the Panasonix Lumix range besides my DSLR. I just don't think you can say "more expensive than" if you are talking about devices that just happen to share one single function, namely taking picture - that's comparing apples to oranges, if you pardon the pun..

4. Mark .

The odd thing about 64-bit is that with the small amounts of RAM that iphones have compared to the competition (does this still have 1GB?), at the moment this seems pointless. OTOH, with Android phones now reaching 3GB, it won't be long before they need 64-bit to make use of more. But then, I suspect that Samsung et al will quietly switch to 64-bit when it's actually required, rather than trying to grab a headline on some spec. (The first 64-bit tablet was presumably the Surface Pro, or perhaps some other Windows one, but I don't see the Register praising that point.)

Fingerprints and motion processors are gimmicks. Nothing wrong with gimmicks - but it seems like the S4 announcement had about 20 of them, rather than 2.

2. Goldmember

Fingerprint sensors aren't anything new. They've been around on HP laptops (and others) for years. But they were unreliable in real world situations, and would stop working when dust got into them. We ended up disabling them as standard on all new laptops at our company.

Maybe this one will be better, but looking at the amount of dust and fluff my phone accumulates after a few weeks spent in pockets, I wouldn't want to risk it. There's no mention of whether you can disable the feature on the new iShiny, but to me it seems like an unnecessary (and costly) extra.

3. John Hughes

my 64 bits

"All-new 64bit SoC - pretty damn amazing in a PHONE, FFS"

What's the point of 64 bit addressing in a device with less than 4Gb of memory?

All it does is reduce the amount of useful memory (addresses take twice the space).

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: my 64 bits

64 bit addressing could be used for a unified memory architecture - I think that's the term currently in use to describe the scheme where volatile and non-volatile storage can be addressed identically.

64 bit addressing is optional, 32 bit addressing op codes still work fine otherwise you'd need to recompile 32 bit code to work on a 64bit system rather than just run it.

64 bit processing can improve data throughput, performance and therefore power usage for some computational tasks.

So while if you look at 64 bits purely when it comes to addressing (more than) "4Gb of memory" on a phone then it doesn't make so much sense, but taken in the long run and when accessing non-volatile storage makes a lot of sense.

4. David Cantrell

64 bit my arse (was Re: Affordability my arse)

No, a 64 bit CPU in a phone is not amazing, it's pointless. Unless you've got huge amounts of memory to address, a 64 bit CPU is actively bad. It wastes board space, wastes power, and, unless they've done something funky with the memory architecture, wastes memory because of alignment issues.

1. John 172

Re: 64 bit my arse (was Affordability my arse)

So you've never used a 64 bit CPU then? If you had you'd know what's useful about it. It's not just about address space and I've yet to see a 64 bit CPU that can actually address a 64 bit address space, the physical addressability is often only in the 40+ bit ball park. Native 64 bit general purpose registers, often more general purpose registers, wider internal pathways, wider deeper write combining buffers, etc. If you're code is packed full of pointers you want to re-think it with a more implicit data layout so pointers aren't used so heavily, you'll find the end result runs faster too due to less de-referencing and possibly better data->cache line locality.

5. jonathanb Silver badge

You have a faster CPU and a slightly better camera, which you get any time you get a new phone. Nothing particularly amazing there. I've never heard anyone complain that their existing iPhone 5 is too slow. The iPhone 5 camera is pretty decent, but it isn't the best, so Apple are playing catch-up here.

So you have a fingerprint sensor to replace the lock screen pin and iCloud password. Maybe it is better than some of the fingerprint sensors I've seen in the past that didn't really work. We will see, but it isn't really a compelling reason to buy a new phone.

6. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Lord Elpuss

Wow you are pleased with an $850 device that'll take pictures like an average $150 camera. And just why is 64bit so amazing? oh yeah cos big number ain't it. "AND might actually work" but then again it "might" not. I bet you'll really enjoy your gold phone. And the rest of us will know what you value at a glance.

2. JDX Gold badge

Re: Sorry apple, you are just too slow to innovate and lack imagination.

It's the 5S. It's a tweaked/tuned version of the 5. S versions never make massive changes, arguably this one does so more than other S versions have.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

S versions never make massive changes, arguably this one does so more than other S versions have.

Remind us again of the major changes that the 5 made over the 4s? Oh, yes it was a bit longer.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

S versions never make massive changes, arguably this one does so more than other S versions have.

Remind us again of the major changes that the 5 made over the 4s? Oh, yes it was a bit longer.

"S" versions tend to be evolutions on an existing model range. 3 to 3S, 4 to 4S and 5 to 5S. In my experience, the S version are indeed improvements rather than fully changed devices, I guess in Android world it would be 3.0 to 3.1, 4.0 to 4.1 etc etc.

I don't disregard any phone based on its audience - the fanboi attitude is about as irritating and infantile as the anti-fanboi brigade, so I leave judging a phone on who buys it rather than what it can do for me to the people with room temperature IQ and not yet stable hormonal systems.

3. jason 7

Well as according to Apple stating that there is a 'Bit of Steve's Input' in all future products, he must have been signing all these off on his deathbed.

I guess he might have been a bit distracted at the time.

Very sad.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Jobs would not have tried to compete with the 'baying-for-tech' mob, such as the commenters we see on here. Apple should have held back on what is a pretty lacklustre lineup launch.

That said, what on earth do you all think any new phone is going to introduce now? A holographic 50" projector screen? Fingerprinting sensors that analyse your blood sugar and call an ambulance for you? A phone that pleasures the wife, makes the coffee, walks the dog and drives the kids to school for you?

Get real, for Jobs' sake at least.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Cheap? Just underwhelming

The cheaper version is expensive in everyone's eyes but Apple.

Ok, so contract prices might be lower, but buying outright is a huge chunk of cash and for what? I'd expect a better spec.

As to the 5S, in the real world the only difference in the fingerprint reader. Disappointing and you can understand why the share price fell when it was announced. Also looks like the retina screen ipad mini wasn't able to be finished in time. Though that might appear when iOS 7 reaches the iPads in Oct/Nov.

1. Lusty

Re: Cheap? Just underwhelming

"Ok, so contract prices might be lower, but buying outright is a huge chunk of cash and for what? I'd expect a better spec"

If you want bigger numbers and lower prices buy an Android, I'm sure you'll be happy. If you want a better phone for actually doing phoney things with and are happy to pay for it then buy the iPhone. On the Apple side of the fence CPU clock is less important than the usable camera or the allegedly heightened security of the fingerprint scanner (time will tell on this one but it does look promising).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"the allegedly heightened security of the fingerprint scanner "

The security for whom? To me it looks like a mechanism by which Apple can get all foreigners to fingerprint themselves.

2. Mark .

If I wanted a phone to do phoney things, why are you talking about fingerprints and cameras? I'd get a dirt cheap Microsoft Nokia S30 or S40 phone, and enjoy the several days of battery life.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I don't want anyone fingering my phone, thank you very much!

3. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: Cheap? Just underwhelming @Lusty

"If you want a better phone for actually doing phoney things..."

...then my advise is to get a £25 Nokia or Samsung dumb phone. Tried and trusted technology, long standby and talk time, robust as hell, easy to use (as a phone), and it won't get you mugged or be particularly painful when you drop it down the loo or lose it when out on a bender.

Of course, if you want to run Angry Birds, then you really want more than a phone!

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Who else looks forward to the likely soon to be forthcoming reports of Apple owners being relieved of a finger or two via a meat cleaver when their latest Apple device is stolen?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: fingers

Who else looks forward to the likely soon to be forthcoming reports of Apple owners being relieved of a finger or two via a meat cleaver when their latest Apple device is stolen?

Yawn. You know, it's really time to retire that worn, useless argument. Any modern FP reader incorporates techniques to check if it's (a) a finger and not a celluloid or gelatine copy and (b) still attached to a body (although most versions tend not to check if it's still breathing).

Secondly, no thief with at least a smidgeon of intelligence will chop off a finger if the mere threat of violence can result in the device being unlocked and re-registered with its new knife wielding owner. Criminal charges for theft are a lot lower than for inflicting bodily harm, and only a total loon would go for the stupid option (not that they don't exist, but even thieves know about risk management).

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: fingers

> Any modern FP reader incorporates techniques to check if it's (a) a finger and

> not a celluloid or gelatine copy and (b) still attached to a body (although most

> versions tend not to check if it's still breathing).

No, they don't. Like any other measurement device it checks an aspect that it can measure correlated hopefully with whatever it is you are trying to measure. It isn't doing chemical composition tests, and "temperature"<>"attached to a body.

5. LarsG

Colours

I have just realised.....

The 'cheap phones' are not aimed at tech minded El Reg readers...

They are aimed at Girlfriends, Wives and Daughters....

My daughter aged 4 saw the pink one and said, 'daddy I WANT that for Christmas!' I asked why and her answer 'its PINK.'

Just you wait and see, it will be a GIRLY best seller, easy to use, works out of the box, simple, all female celebs will be carrying them.

1. paulc
        Coat

Re: Colours

I'm waiting to see the reaction when they discover that they can't change the wallpaper and it's stuck to that colour forever... ;)

2. PipV

@LarsG

Don't you mean 'colors' ! Honestly LarsG you are opening yourself up to an Apple Lawsuit.

1. LarsG

@PipV

Let them try and be damned.

I will teach them proper English!

3. Peter Ford

My Samsung Galaxy Y came with a set of clip-on backs, including a *pink* one: £5 from TalkTalk, including some minutes, texts and data (albeit not much...)

6. Andy 66

So, in the US the 16GB 5S model is $649, which is ~€500 (to be on the high side), then add 20% VAT (rough european VAT average) == €600.

So why is the 5S 16GB model being offered up for €699???

I ain't bending over Apple - go shaft someone else.

7. Andrew Moore

I was expecting "cheap looking" and I wasn't disappointed

1. Kunari

Insult of the day: "Are you an iPhone 5c? Because you look cheap and plastic"

8. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

I'm sorry but you are wrong, its arse free.

"The iPhone 5C, he said, is "highly recyclable," featuring arsenic-free glass,..."

See?

P.S. "It's manufactured from a single piece of hardened polycarbonate and is available in five colors: white, pink, yellow, blue, and green." For a few seconds I thought "Nokia!", I wonder why...

1. Michael Strorm Silver badge

"The iPhone 5C, he said, is "highly recyclable," featuring arsenic-free glass,..."

That's nothing. My Android phone's screen is entirely free of Plutonium 238!

And the back panel contains entirely no Murdertanium 666, a substance that leaches out of plastics and stabs random people in your house in the face at night.

Now, to be fair, Murdertanium 666 doesn't actually exist... but that's how I can be sure that my phone contains none of this highly dangerous and alarming substance. Still, it's a good selling point to Daily Mail readers.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What, with that price, no arsenic ? Can't plug 10G Ethernet into the bottom ?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Can I get extra arsenic to go?

I want the price for the arsenic laced version - I don't want to be like every other Apple zealot! I DEMAND arsenic! I will pay DOUBLE!

9. Amorous Cowherder

No but I thought they might have more sense than to treat their customers like 8 year old kids, "Oooh look you can have nice green one, yellow one or pink one! Ooooh!". FFS!

Can't wait for the first arsehole who will get his mug on the frontpage 'cos he had to have all the colours, some people simply have too much damn free time and money to waste....

2. Darryl

5C? Move along folks. Nothing to see here.

The cynical side of me wants to say that the 5C is just the same old same old.

Last year's model offered at a slightly lower price. The only difference is that they changed the expensive to produce aluminum case to a cheaper to produce plastic one.

1. A. Nervosa

Re: 5C? Move along folks. Nothing to see here.

I don't think you're being cynical at all. That's exactly what it is.

3. ThomH

Did anyone expect affordability?

I didn't expect the processor to go 64 bit but Apple are saying it brings performance advantages since you get twice as many registers, rather than just literally having 64 bit addressing where the previous has 32 bit. So that shows what I know about the ARM architecture.

I didn't expect ES 3.0 to make an appearance but that's just because Apple has always lagged so much on the desktop. There's still no geometry shaders and Apple already supported extensions for occlusion queries and compressed textures so I guess the step forward for developers isn't so great.

Otherwise? If the finger-print sensor works then it'll be useful but Motorola's a few years ago was never any good. I don't have a Nike+ Fuelband but gamification of health is exactly the sort of thing a feeble-minded person like myself would be manipulated by.

1. SuccessCase

Re: Did anyone expect affordability?

I understand the 64 bit architecture helps with translucency and blurs. Android has now pretty much caught up in terms of smooth scrolling and animations. Apple always like to have an edge in graphical slickness and push the boundaries. Smooth animation with translucency and blurs is one of the ways of implementing a differentiator which makes systems that can't do it so we'll look somehow old hat (most people don't even identify just what it is they like).

There is a down side to this though. IOS 7 on my iPhone 5 suffers low scrolling frame rate on the many translucent table elements. There may well be improvements before release, but if this is as good as it will get I'm a little surprised Apple will have allowed it (I'm sure there will be some retarded yah-boo Apple types who will comment "deliberate in obsolescence" but anyone who has used Apple kit for a while will know they have always in the past proven very careful to preserve/maintain the user experience)

The other thing I understand 64 bit it helps for is fast encryption and decryption, so running an encrypted file system will be higher performance.

1. SuccessCase

"IOS 7 on my iPhone 5 suffers low scrolling frame rate" sorry, not on the iPhone 5, it's ok on that, but is bad on the iPad third gen (slower processor, larger retina display).

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"There is a down side to this though. IOS 7 on my iPhone 5 suffers low scrolling frame rate on the many translucent table elements."

I assume you're talking about the beta since the GM was only released a few hours ago. Beta builds of iOS are typically debug builds. Release builds tend to be hugely faster. iOS 6 was also a dog until the final build.

1. SuccessCase

"Release builds tend to be hugely faster"

Yes that's been my experience in the past and what I'm hoping now, because on the iPad it's currently really Janky (for scrolling blurred translucent table cells in most places).

3. John Hughes

"I understand the 64 bit architecture helps with translucency and blurs. "

Surely that's done by the graphics coprocessor, not the cpu.

4. OrsonX
        FAIL

"very careful to preserve/maintain the user experience"

@SuccessCase

Well iOS4 killed my iPhone3G

and Mountain Lion killed my MBP

so no, you are talking rubbish.

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> I understand the 64 bit architecture helps with translucency and blurs.

Jesus Christ we have a live one. Bit of technobabble and they can sell you anything, right?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"If the finger-print sensor works then it'll be useful but Motorola's a few years ago was never any good."

Eh? How could it possibly cross your mind to mention the two in the same sentence?

The Atrix had one of those idiot line-shaped fingerprint readers that you had to swipe your finger across at exactly the right speed and angle or it wouldn't work. It was slow and finicky and error-prone. I know a guy who used to have an Atrix and he said the fingerprint reader was beyond worthless.

In contrast, the new iPhone's sensor is almost the entire home button. You don't have to swipe anything or hit a particular angle. You just press the button as you always have and it immediately confirms your identity.

The new iPhone's sensor has about as much to do with the Atrix's sensor as a jet fighter has to do with a VW bus.

4. SuccessCase

"They aren't likely to lure many customers who otherwise have their eyes on cut-rate Android handsets or the low end of Nokia's Lumia line."

I be to differ. I predict you will be surprised by just how much of a difference the iPhone 5C makes to Apple sales. There is a "desire to spend" distortion field that comes into effect when people walk into Apple stores and this will mean people who previously couldn't make the stretch, will be able to.

Apple market share is increasing in the US and the UK and on trend to increase in the five wealthiest EU countries. This will help Apple in China in percentage terms a bit (but a bit being rather a lot in absolute terms when talking of China) but it will make even bigger gains for them in the West. I don't think they are targeting emerging markets at all, rather happy to see improvements in emerging markets (without abandoning their business focus and strategy targeting the high end). Why would they want to compete with all the Android vendors competing downwards on price and who are making almost exactly no profit? Samsung occupy the middle ground but also are wise enough to avoid competing downwards on price. They too maintain their margins.

1. HMB

Just to point out, every year an iPhone comes out the older ones go at lower cost. Do you really think an aluminium case swapped for a plastic one is going to change things for the better this year?

1. SuccessCase

Yes, and I'm confident I'll be proven right. Same as I was proven right about the iPad being a success when almost everyone everyone commenting at The Register was saying it would be a failure, same as I was proven right about the market dynamic and high satisfaction ratings leading to Apple's market share starting to expand again in wealthy markets once those markets reached smartphone purchase saturation (you will see that effect accelerating BTW). So down vote if you wish and I'll chuckle when looking back at this comment in the new year !

The company that is best set to reverse Apple's fortunes isn't here yet. That will most likely be Xiaomi (not Samsung). They are impacting Apple in China now and could start to impact them internationally from late next year, but most likely not until 2015.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You're forgetting one feature of your typical iPhone user.... incredible snobbery. How many people will want to take out their new shiny, only for some idiot to put them down with a "Oh... you got one of those CHEAP iPhones?"

iPhone owners don't do cheap.

Still.. it will at least shut up all the idiots on here accusing Android owners of only having an S4 or HTC One because they can't afford an iPhone, but really really want one, deep down.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Well to be fair, it's difficult not to display just a hint of snobbery when you see Samsung going it alone, striding forth all "see we can innovate without copying" and coming up with the smart wrist-brick. Apple is a company that can at least be relied on to call out the elephant in the R&D lab before it makes it out the door. Whether they can continue to do so without Jobs is open to debate, but we shall see. I suspect they will.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

>"Maybe this [fingerprint sensor] will be better, but looking at the amount of dust and fluff my phone accumulates after a few weeks spent in pockets, I wouldn't want to risk it."

The keynote said something about the sensor scanning below the skin, so in theory dust shouldn't trouble it too much.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

5. tin 2

They've missed a real opportunity to beef up the base model storage, and perhaps remove the incredibly expensive increments (£80 for an extra 16gig in this day and age?). As a confirmed fanboi, I'll not be buying, purely on that point alone, I imagine I'm not the only otherwise guaranteed sale they've lost.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What do you mean missed an opportunity?

The missed an opportunity to sell if for less, so they wouldn't be ripping off fanboi chumps so much? Did you read that post before you posted it?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A finger of fudge

The fingerprint thing sounds interesting. Although I wonder who the first poor sod to have his finger cut off by a mugger will be!

1. HMB

Re: A finger of fudge

Hmmmm... yes.

I can just imagine that shifty fella at the market offering you an iPhone plus activation finger.

No, I think that might frighten off the casual hot phone buyer.

1. Julian Taylor

Psst, wanna buy a iPhone mate? Don's mind the red stuff ..

This argument is so old now. Even TheReg has articles about from from the mists of time (well, 2005), such as the one about the Mercedes S class finger choppers http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/04/fingerprint_merc_chop.

2. Tapeador

You got there before me! I suppose the next question is how many fingers a year are lost this way. Come to think of it t the violent killing of the owner might precede digitectomy in a number of cases....

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I find it slightly worrying that was my first thought before getting round to thinking of the interesting possibilities it brings. I'd like to think its because I live in the area with the highest level of mugging in the Uk, but I concede it might well be my personal cynicism.

Next years update will probably include the requirement for a warm finger with a pulse.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>Next years update will probably include the requirement for a warm finger with a pulse.

Nothing a syringeful of coffee wouldn't fix.

4. hokum

There was a story a few years back about an unfortunate gent in South Africa who had his finger stolen by car jackers when they discovered he had a fingerprint security system on his shiny new BMW.

5. Tchou

Cut off a finger?

Nah, nowadays we just 3D print it.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The price of last year's iPhone is eye watering

It's essentially the original 5 in a plastic case. However, this isn't necessarily the whole story; I'll wait for the networks to announce their contract details. Depending on how much Apple sells these devices to the networks, the TCO might not be too bad.

Still, I think Apple is failing to see the direct threat from Amazon, and the growing threat from Google Play, who are getting increasing numbers of punters to part with their credit card details. From a business perspective, I think the real prize is using cheap, compelling hardware as a Trojan horse to sell everyone everything (everywhere).

1. Craig McGill 1

Re: The price of last year's iPhone is eye watering

Yes, because Apple doesn't have any kind of online store for apps, music, films, tv shows or books that might already have millions of credit card details.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Yes, because Apple doesn't have any kind of online store for apps, music, films, tv shows or books that might already have millions of credit card details."

A credit card on Google's records is likely one not on Apple's. Google's customers might have a reputation for being a bunch of free-loading freetards, but the times, as they say, are a changin'!

2. LyingMan

they don't have mine!

2. HMB

Did you say Everything Everywhere? I couldn't tell what you were saying properly. What's that? No. Sorry. You're breaking up.*

* Other networks that drop calls are also available.

8. Lunatik

Apple doing consumers a favour? Puh-leeze...

"So what we have in the iPhone 5C, then, is essentially a plastic version of the iPhone 5 – and that's reflected in its cost."

Without a 5C the old 5 would've dropped to the same price anyway so this is all about maintaining Apple's receding margin in a more competitive market.

Nothing wrong in that of course, but let's not get carried away.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

plastic case in bright colours, rounded corners, affordable end of the market.

sure that's not a Nokia Lumia 620?

1. HMB

No, you can tell it apart because the Lumia 620, while a highly functional and well made phone <charliebrookervoice>has been blighted by an infestation of monochromatic f**king squares.</charliebrookervoice>

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>blighted by an infestation of monochromatic f**king squares.

Was that a reference to the people who own them? You've reminded me of those Apple ads featuring the wide eyed barista and the, erm, microsoft guy.

;)

10. A Butler

No challenger to Google Nexus and Nokia Lumia 520 / 620 low end.

No challenge to the low end smartphone market which is growing rapidly in all markets, the Google Nexus 4 and Nokia Lumia's 520 / 620 have a clear run into the Christmas market, and will do well when people realize they perform most smartphone tasks for 1/3 of the price.

11. OrsonX
    Happy

"space gray"

– the new black

LOL!

1. FlatEarther

Re: "space gray"

Bronze - 70s retro. Will it fade to baby-shit brown?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: "space gray"

Bronze - 70s retro. Will it fade to Zune brown?

Fixed it for ya!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does Samsung info get leaked?

"how little it managed to keep secret from the tech media ahead of the event"

Interesting how the media scrambles to get info about new iPhones parts, but doesn't seem interested in Samsung's why is this?

Hence Samsung's watch came as a surprise.

Also interesting how Android is trouncing iPhone/iPad for units shipped, but very few use them for web-browsing, is this because any deployment of Android regardless of wether it's in a smartphone/pad is counted as if it is or are they just sitting on suppliers shelves or are they just crap for web browsing (which I doubt).

Curiouser and curiouser said Alice

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Does Samsung info get leaked?

Totally different animals. Apple is a marketing & design house. Manipulating press and consumers is their bread and butter. Samsung on the other hand actually makes stuff (including much of Apple's stuff - until Jobs shat a "thermonuclear" brick when he saw Android).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Did you ever see an Android phone before the iPhone?

I have, they looked like a blackberry nothing like what it became after because Samsung & co don't do good design (look at their watch for their design when they can't nick it).

If Samsung is so wonderful why is Dyson now suing them ? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24023430

(was going to put a a link from el Reg, but it appears the don't want to upset Samsung).

If you know any web admins ask them what the percentage of mobile web browsers that access their sites are you will be surprised Android sales are not reflected in web traffic, why because android marketing men are spinning the figures.

Apple keeps pointing out that they are the only mobile manufacture that tell you how many devices they've actually sold.

Looking forward to the thumbs down from the Spamsonites :P

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I take it your tinfoil hat is now available in a selection of bright plastic colours?

2. LyingMan

for anyone talking about android is not in the web browsing market.. Been to India last month and the retailers are saying that the whole nation is starting to get into the smartphone market and they do not look like buying iPhones. Instead all Androids (locally made to Sammy's) are the craze.. Aaaannnddd.. they do browse! That will be a huge number in the web traffic which can trounce easily the numbers.. keep watching..

13. Hud Dunlap

It is affordable and useful

I am buying a 5S because it has functions I want like a better camera and better processor. I maintain Semiconductor processing equipment and I use my phone constantly for work. Be it videos of how a tool is running, pictures of equipment failure, documentation and procedures.

Go to the iTunes store and look up engineering apps or graphing calculators or any other scientific things you want. With the faster processor they are only going to get better and better.

I plan to write it off on my taxes as a work tool.

If you want just a phone you don't need it. Get the 4s for free with a two year contract or buy somebody else's.

1. Ross K Silver badge
      WTF?

Re: It is affordable and useful

I am buying a 5S because it has functions I want like a better camera and better processor. I maintain Semiconductor processing equipment and I use my phone constantly for work. Be it videos of how a tool is running, pictures of equipment failure, documentation and procedures.

You're full of shit.

I've worked in a lot of fabs. If you were found using anything resembling a phone in a fab, security would beat the shit out of you with it and shove it up your ass on the way out.

What a fucking moron...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Hud Dunlap

@Ross K.

i worked for various OEM vendors for over 25 years. Machine Technology Inc, Silicon Valley Group, DNS electronics/ Sokudo. Do you even know what I am talking about?

I am working direct now but all of the vendors I work with come down with their phones and nobody says anything.

Some fabs told us what phones to use because they had repeaters inside the Fab for that carrier. We had phones because they were more useful than pagers. Sometimes we would have to call the factory, it is a waste of time to leave the fab to do that. At first they tried to keep out the camera phones but after awhile they gave up. Too useful. We all signed NDA's anyway. I had access to the control charts which are much more important than a picture of a piece of equipment.

I am sure that there are still some Fabs that don't allow phones. I have supported plenty of sites that did Government work.

Who did you work for, and how long have you been out of the industry?

3. GitMeMyShootinIrons

@ Ross K

"What a fucking moron..."

Wow, what a pleasant guy you are.

2. thesykes
      Facepalm

You read technical documentation about semiconductor processing equipment on a 4" screen?

Really?

I'm no Apple fan, but, if you want to do that, buy a bloody iPad.

1. Hud Dunlap

@thesykes

You are right a larger screen would be better. It is just that ipads are too bulky to haul around a fab all day. I walk about 7 to 8 miles a day in the fab.

A phone you can clip on to your clean room belt.

2. madmalc

Buy a Nexus 7, better AND much much cheaper

1. James Hughes 1

If you want a decent phone and a very good camera, forget the iPhone, get a Lumia 1050 (or is that 1020). That takes much better video and pictures than the iPhone. And it will work very well as a phone, since Nokia actually do know how to make phone HW.

Since those seem to be your two main use cases, the iPhone is not a suitable device.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>"Since those seem to be your two main use cases, the iPhone is not a suitable device."

You missed the part in his original post about the technical apps he finds useful on the Apple App Store.

14. Glostermeteor

Just shows the Apple magic died with Steve Jobs

Let me put one piece straight, I am an Android fan through and through, I have owned a Samsung Galaxy 1, 2, and 3. I have never been a fan of Apple to be honest, but the one thing I admired was how Apple just took the competition apart when Steve Jobs took the stage or presented a new device, he oozed innovation. Unfortunately now that he is no longer here, Apple now slavishly copies the competition and no longer innovates.......they might hve 200bl dollars but they sure arent using it very well.

FAIL

Re: Just shows the Apple magic died with Steve Jobs

Bollocks.

Copying the competition my ass. Have you even read any of the specs? Ok the 5S looks similar to the previous version, but that's about it - A7 64bit, iOS7, motion co-pro, bleeding-edge fingerprint scanner fully integrated with the OS, just how much f*ing innovation are you looking for?

I can't believe I got sucked in AGAIN writing a response to some moron wailing about ' where's the innovation' but seriously; you bleat about Apple being all about the shiny shiny, here they make some major changes under the covers and you complain about that too because it's not shiny enough for you.

1. Glostermeteor

And you call that innovation? Fingerprint technology has been around for years, I have a laptop at home thats got a fingerprint reader built in to its touchpad. The only difference here is its on a phone and not a laptop, although I suspect Apple will try and pretend that they 'invented' it with one of their crazy patents. Motion stuff you can already get on the Samsung S4, and while a 64 bit Processor sounds cool, what actual usefulness does it bring to the end user? It's not shiny I'm looking for its new ideas, and Apple seem to have run out of them.

1. James Hughes 1

64bit, Innovation? Sorry, that's simply a slightly faster processor. Something that's been going on in every other phone/desktop/tablet for years. Its not innovation, it's evolution. Innovation would be brand new features (for a phone), like the fingerprint thing, which seem to me to be a sensible idea.

1. PJI

So, these changes are obvious, easy .... So Apple is just lucky to have made them first?

All you denigrators must be from the same stable as those who said, when the first mainframes appeared, that one or two would provide all the computing power necessary for the whole British Isles for eternity.

Good job there are politer people with more foresight for those of use who appreciate changing technology.

By the way, those who must slag off people with whom they disagree in disagreeable, obscenity laden terms really ought to get an education (so that they can learn to express themselves properly in writing and speech) and anger management help. I wonder if they behave the same way at work if they disagree with colleagues, assuming you have found some hapless employer, or to friends or family (if they still have such).

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Jobs certainly oozed the appearance of innovation the guy was a showman. But I can't help feel that the true innovation was the big touch screen no buttons [Don't mention the slightly earlier LG equiv, it wasn't really the same]. And the innovation was that they bit the bullet and did it, plenty of other people had seen it as an option.

But what innovation here? really?

64bit processor, evolution not revolution. Is this ARMs innovation? Are they copying AMD or TI or <how far back you want to go>. It's a bump in a road somebody was going to decide it was worth it to go over it first. Genuine consumer benefits I would have thought as ZERO.

Bleeding-edge fingerprint scanner? it's not a new idea and they BOUGHT the company that made them! Where's the innovation? How the hell do you know it's going to work? How do you know it really is "fully integrated with the OS"? You got one? When the apple foums fill up with people screaming they can't do X, Y, Z because their fingers are scanning what do you think apples reply will be?

Used IOS7? How innovative is it in your personal opinion?

Any evidence whatsoever that a motion co-pro will actually help in anyway with anything that anybody cares about?

Phone wise I'm neutral here, I've got an iPod touch, I've got a cheapo Android phone. But company wise I'm astonished again and again at the naivety of people who treat a carefully stage managed apple product launch as the equivalent of an independent review by someone with a clue.

1. davemcwish

"When the apple foums fill up with people screaming they can't do X, Y, Z because their fingers are scanning what do you think apples reply will be?"

Won't happen, at least for the forseeable future as according to All Things Digital, the biometric scanner will be for Apple's use only to unlock the phone and verify iTunes purchases.

http://allthingsd.com/20130910/iphone-developers-wont-get-fingerprint-reader-authentication-option-for-now-anyway/

3. LyingMan

Lord Elpuss

Aha.. you missed another innovation! Apple this time has invented pastel and metallic colours! Wowweeee!!!

15. Jeff 11
    WTF?

Delusion much?

"...but it is a significant upgrade."

Did Apple gas the world's media with hysteria-inducing drugs at the unveiling?

Pretty much every tech news outlet and market analyst has been saying the same thing, but for me this has been the least substantial upgrade I've ever seen from Cupertino.

64-bit isn't significant in the phone space. It wasn't significant in the PC market 10 years ago when it became de facto standard in CPUs. Perhaps In the gaming space, for higher fidelity visuals - but then the sort of games the massively vast majority of the market play on phones don't make much use of the graphics technologies that most phones have had for the past few years.

That leaves us with a fingerprint sensor to unlock your phone, a slightly tweaked camera and flash, and the option of a gold case.

To be honest, Apple's literature says it all - "we've managed to do all this clever stuff you'll never notice without even changing the design, or increas... err, decreasing the battery life". All smartphone makers may end up at this apparent dead end, but Apple seems to have won that race.

1. Nate Amsden

Re: Delusion much?

What were you expecting? What else could they have come up with? Even if they released a "phablet" phone like some people seem to want (I plan to get a Galaxy note 3 - never having used Android or IOS before myself) - it's still just a bigger screen, nothing revolutionary.

Doubling processor performance(is it still dual core, or is it quad core now?), doubling the memory(assuming the rumor site I just checked was accurate in which they stated 5S has 2GB vs 1GB on the 5), the fingerprint sensor, new OS (which looks pretty ugly to me)..

Myself I can't think of much left that can be done in the hardware space that is revolutionary at least for a while - people should get used to focusing on the software changes, on whatever platform it is.

And software is something that Apple has down pretty good at least the app store stuff. IOS seems far an away the first priority of almost any mobile app developer, with android being distant second.

People seemed equally unimpressed with several previous iPhone launches, yet that didn't stop the things from FLYING off the shelves..

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention (assuming it's accurate) - I recall reading a while back that China Mobile(the one with ~700M subscribers, assuming I got that name right too) didn't do subsidized phones on contracts the way the US carriers do.. maybe they will start with the iPhone 5C I don't know.

So while the $99 price on the 5C seems really cheap, for folks in China it may not be(esp given the average income of those 700M subscribers).

You need to remember your buying into the ecosystem, not just the phone, the ecosystem is huge for Apple - it's relatively non existent for Windows Phone/Nokia(same goes for most Android devices too). Whether it is the massive app store, or the seemingly endless supply of i-accessories I believe a lot of folks take that into account more than the base specs of the phone(or at least they should) when purchasing.

El Reg says iPhone 4S is looking old.......shit, it's probably still 3-4x faster than my HP Pre3.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I think he was expecting... well hoping maybe, for people not to watch the show and scream "AMAZING INNOVATION" when there wasn't much/any.

To a lot of people here I don't think the issue is that Apple doesn't innovate. It's that when they don't everybody screams that they have.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. LyingMan

Re: Delusion much? Nate Amsden

Well.. For a company with such brilliant engineering minds and consumer focused managers, they should have addressed the two major issues in the mobile phone market... well f**k it .. just the one.. BATTERY LIFE.. If they had innovated there and delivered a two days - no charging needed battery life phone, I will sell my first born to buy that one..

But hey wait, I have bought a Nokia Asha 210 and it already does it! along with whatsapp! That is my main phone and my media player will be the Note 3 when it sells a bit cheaper than £599 to replace my original note...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

64-Bit on desktops havsn't taken off because it requires too many people pulling in the same direction. All the major browsers have 64-bit versions which while technologically superior are in real terms inferior to 32-bit browsers just because the vats majority of websites haven't migrated. Big software companies aren't going 64bit because there's still a significant number of users on 32 bit only Windows XP, especially in the big contract markets and the list goes on and on.

Apple do have a chance at getting traction with 64bit because of its closed nature, all they have to do is release the next iPad and iPad mini with 64bit SoCs and say that iOS10/11 onwards will be 64bit only. By that point the 32bit hardware (iPad 2-4, iPad mini, iPhone 4-5c) will be end of life and devs will be forced to update apps to be 64bit.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, whilst other manufacturers are busy adding useful functionality to their phones, Apple tweak theirs a little.

No waterproofing. No forward-facing stereo speakers. No screen that works when wearing ordinary gloves. No SD card (no surprise when you can charge silly money for 16GB). No NFC. No wireless charging.

No, instead you get a fingerprint scanner, which will have to be bloody good for anyone who does manual work for a living. Imagine a builder or plasterer who wants to make a call... hold on lads, anyone got some soap? I need to make a phone call... yeah, right. It may surprise some Apple owners, but, people who get their hands dirty do own iPhones too. In an accident and got blood on your hands? Can't call an ambulance? Oh well, natural selection at work I guess.

64-bit? Hmm... interesting that apps will need re-compiling to take advantage of those extra bits. Presumably this means that any apps compiled for 64-bit architecture, will not run on 32-bit phones? Two versions of the same app? Fragmentation anyone?

Me? I'll take a Z1 and a 64GB sd card... giving me a 5" screen, 20.7 MP camera, waterproof, dustproof, NFC (Sony SmartTags make NFC usable) and 80GB. All that, and much cheaper than the smaller-capacity 64GB 5S at £709.

"Me? I'll take a Z1 and a 64GB sd card... "

You do that then. Bye...

2. OrsonX

"No forward-facing stereo speakers"

useful on a telly, no doubt.

useful if you are a youf sitting at the back of a bus watching whatever on YouTube.

Of no other use.

17. PJI

Old problem with touch compounded?

In cold weather, e.g. on the ski slope or just a chilly walk on a miserable, Winter day, using a touch screen mobile is scarcely doable before the thing stops ringing while one pulls off the gloves to find the mahine and use it. Wearing ski gloves, or almost any gloves, one can not even just answer it. There are some special gloves that will work (or carry a sausage: I seem to recall a report that a sausage would work as well as a finger). But the fingerprint authentication will not work even with special gloves, I assume.

I wonder if one can still select PIN authentication in place of or as an alternative to fingerprints. Can one set a pin for some users instead of an extra fingerprint? Can one store prints from several fingers or the tip of one's nose or even ear (ear prints are supposed to be more unique than fingerprints) of the same user, in case a really nasty accident renders the authorised finger unusable temporarily or permanently?

IOS uses the PIN length to decide the complexity of data encryption, I think. How will this work with a fingerprint? Always the highest level?

Slightly different: I have not seen an unambiguous report of the way that intelligence services are getting at iPhone data; but the implication from what I did see is, that they can not. They get at the data archived/synchronised onto a PC. So, if one does not connect the mobile to a PC, nor use the "cloud", the implication is that the data is safe within the mobile. Even if it is backed up and synchronised with a computer, just turn the computer off when not logged in. I wonder too: if one is using an encrypted disc storage (as provided with OS X or through additional software with Windows, then the computer version should be a little more secure, depending upon the effectiveness of the encryption (probably just a minor inconvenience if the investigator has got his hands on the machine). I do not know about Android security: but with IOS, using a six digit PIN gives a tighter encryption of the mobile contents. So we need more detail of the real possibilities for data access on the mobile as opposed to during transmission or on the PC.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Old problem with touch compounded?

You can use the higher end lumias with gloves works very well

2. Z-Eden

Re: Old problem with touch compounded?

When I had my old 3GS, I found that when wearing gloves, my nose did as good a job as my finger when answering calls. Wonder if this one does Noseprint recognition?

18. Sil

As cheap as a Porsche

$849 for a very good phone from any brand? No way.

So for the very average 5s no way in hell.

The 5s is an average phone with a small screen, an outdated OS, no nfc

$150 Nokia lumia 520 + $399 ps4 + $299 34" led tv seems like a better value.

1. GitMeMyShootinIrons

Re: As cheap as a Porsche

"The 5s is an average phone with a small screen, an outdated OS, no nfc"

Ok, I'll go with overpriced, but size of screen? No, I don't want a Jumbotron in my pocket. Outdated OS? No worse than Droid - in fact, moving to 64-bit and a glossed up GUI is hardly obsolescence or lack of development. No NFC is hardly a big thing in the same way as a finger-print scanner isn't a game changer.

I like the Porsche analogy though. You might be onto something with respect to the perception of cheap.

Porsche had a classic high end sports car in the 911, but they still built 'cheaper' models, such as the 924 and the Boxster. The point being that 'cheap' is relative. If you expected Apple to release a proper low end bargain-bin smartphone, then you may as well expect Porsche to bring out their own Ford Fiesta.

19. thesykes
    Pint

Fingerprint scanning less secure than a PIN?

Let me explain...

You're at a party, had a shandy or two too many and have nodded off into a gentle slumber.

Your mates, being mates, decide that this is the perfect opportunity to shave your eyebrows off, draw a penis on your forehead, take a photo with your phone and send to all your contacts.

With a PIN, or unlock pattern, they're stuck. Can't get in. Fingerprint scanner? Perfect... try each finger until it unlocks... Bob's your uncle.

Seems to me that the very time you need security, when you're drunk or just asleep, is exactly when this technology becomes a serious failure.

Fingerprint scanning... insecure by design.

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: Fingerprint scanning less secure than a PIN?

Strangely enough, I usually leave my phone in the car when I go to parties, football games and other places I don't expect to be using it so it won't get nicked. It's been a long time since I've had a quick nap at a party, but I most certainly won't be bringing my phone with me. Maybe my mates are a bit slow and haven't twigged to all of the fun that can be had by shaving off peoples eyebrows and sending a pic to all of their contacts with their own phone. Whew, lucked out there.

Even though I use a Mac, I'm not interested in getting an iPhone.

2. mrfill
      Joke

I understand the 5S has just been awarded Product of the Year by the prestigious Rohipnol Users Group

3. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

If you get drunk enough at a party to pass out cold to where your "mates" can shave off your eyebrows and draw on your forehead, you sort of deserve to have them get in your phone.

Though I fail to see why using your phone for the picture rather than taking one with theirs and texting it to you (or posting it on Facebook) is a necessity for this sort of prank.

I presume that it will be possible to set iOS to require a fingerprint AND a PIN, so if you're on your way to that sort of a party, you might want to add a PIN or password for the night. You'll still no have eyebrows and a penis on your forehead when you wake up in the morning, but at least no one will have been able to get into your phone, because that's the worst of the three, right?

4. Dazed and Confused
      Facepalm

Your mates, being mates, decide that this is the perfect opportunity to

Nah, that's old hat.

If they was real mates, they'd carefully sandpaper the prints off your fingers while you were asleep, then you'd be f*&^ed next time you needed to make a phone call.

Even if you had locked your phone in the car.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Your mates, being mates, decide that this is the perfect opportunity to shave your eyebrows off, draw a penis on your forehead, take a photo with your phone and send to all your contacts."

I think you need a better dictionary. Someone does that to you, they're not a "mate", they're an asshole who needs a good kicking. And if you hang around people like that voluntarily, you deserve everything that happens to you, because you're probably just as bad as them.

1. thesykes

I get the feeling some commentards on here really need a reality check and a sense of humour transplant. You REALLY believe that I have friends that would do that? Bloody hell.

It was obviously a joke situation, you didn't pick on the bit where I implied iPhone owners are invited to social outings and have friends?

20. سمووحخ ̷̴̐ خ ̷̴̐ خ ̷̴̐ خ امارتيخ ̷̴̐ خ

C looks more durable

Don't know why people are dissing the plastic. Surely a plastic body is more durable and shock-resistant than one made from metal and glass?

1. amanfromearth

Re: C looks more durable

Of course, that's why they make hammers out of plastic instead of metal.

No, wait..

1. Steve Todd
        Stop

Some hammers ARE made of plastic, it just depends on what you want to do with them. As one of the design parameters of a hammer is weight (i.e. you WANT mass) then plastics are less useful for that reason.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Maharg
        Facepalm

Re: C looks more durable @amanfromearth

Yes, and that’s why they make bumper cars out of solid metal case, and not plastic with a big rubber ring around them, otherwise the force of the impact would just pass through the rubber without being absorbed and damage the things inside its trying to protect, just like the force of an impact would pass more easily through a rubber case then a metal one and damage the phone…

oh wait…

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I haven't read anyone here dissing the plastic. As far as I'm concerned it's the best thing Apple's done here. I hate their all glass all metal monstrosities. Wife has one, when I need to fiddle with it I'm terrified of dropping or scratching the thing and I find it uncomfortable to hold with it's sharp edges.

Of course these problems go away with a plastic bumper but then what's the point?

The bare shiny is only really useful for cliche web designers whose idea of a website front page is someone smirking at the camera with an iMac in the background and an iPhone in their hand.

For instance: http://webdesignledger.com/inspiration/18-examples-of-beautiful-image-usage-in-web-design

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Asian markets...

Just got back from a month+ in the Philippines and Hong Kong.

1: Even in the tiniest mobile markets on the littlest Philippine islands are displayed plenty of US$400 and US$500 smartphones. Even more surprising, regular people own them too. People that may live in what we would call a shed, they have the latest $500 smartphone. Middle Class is spreading fast.

2: Contracts? It seems to be 99.99% PAYG. The monthly plans on offer are so cheap ($10 data plans) that the margin isn't going to significantly subsidize a $500 phone over two years (obviously, do the math).

3: Huge phones seem popular. Tiny phones are not Flash & Splash enough. iPhones are too small to be the most desired. iPhablet and make it snappy!

4: 3% of a billion is a big number.

22. Paddy
    Pint

ARM 64 bit

Hats off to ARM for designing a 64 bit core that works in a phone. It's just that Ubuntu has the best plan to make use of it with their idea of a phone that when docked runs full Ubuntu Linux; hell, if Ubuntu was running on something like a Nexus 10 with a 64 bit ARM and 8 gigs or more of RAM ...

... I'd play Angry Birds on it!

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Biggest change

in OS6 they downgraded the maps to use shitty Apple maps. In the latest, they downgraded search to use shitty Bing.

How does it feel when your handset owners decide what search engine you must use?

1. Steve Todd
      Stop

Re: Biggest change

Did you miss the word "default"?

2. GitMeMyShootinIrons

And everything on an Android handset defaults to the Info-snatchers, and everything on a Windows Mobile defaults to the evil Empire. Apple don't have a search engine of their own, so they'll default to whoever upsets them least (hence today, it's Bing).

Note the heavy handed use of the word DEFAULT? You can change it....

Oh, and in other news, the Pope defaults to Catholic.

1. PaulR79

Shame you can't change the default on Windows Phone...

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Home buttons works?

Most people i know with an iPhone have that annoying home button app that gives you a home button on screen all the time. Most say its because after about 10 minutes in a sufficiently humid country (so anywhere in SE asia)... the home button broke.

I wonder if this will be any different.

As ever, if i do buy one, i wont rush ... lets wait and see if they have another "holding it wrong" problem.

25. Paul 75

Summing up the whole announcement in 4 words...

Much ado about nothing :)

26. Stu J

Same old delusional overpriced shite

As for the price, I got an HTC One free of charge on a 2 year £32/month contract. And you're telling me I'd have to pay a wedge up front, as well as an extortionate contract for that gaudy plastic piece of 5C shite?

They really are a cult, aren't they?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Same old delusional overpriced shite

No, you do not HAVE to do any such thing.

Do n't like the contract? Look at one of the many other suppliers. You know that within weeks there will be a range of contracts available.

As for your choice:

1. Is the device so hard to shift that they have to give it away?

2. Judging by the vast numbers of people screaming for it, clearly it is a winner.

1. PsychicMonkey
        FAIL

Re: Same old delusional overpriced shite

"1. Is the device so hard to shift that they have to give it away?"

no, but it costs less so the network can subsidise it for people who don't want to be shafted on the phone & the contract. Cheap doesn't have to mean bad.

If your choices are dictated by what other people want and do I suspect you are Apples core demographic.

Some people make choices for themselves, and actually don't care if they have the latest shiny you know.

Still, there will be queues for days for this, just as there always is.

27. Silverburn

FFS

Ok, I'll admit to be being a fan of some (not all) Apple products, but I'm becoming less and less so, given the frankly drug-addled design decisions it's been making recently.

Gold and Silver options? 64bit processing? Fisher price UI? *this* is what Apple identified that it's customers want??? What f*ing market research were they doing??? Christ, take one look at your competitors Apple, and you can see what the market wants...

For the first time in ages, I will not be upgrading my iphone. Time to look for something a bit classier, with a bigger screen, more useful gadgets and more storage.

28. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    Facepalm

"beautifully, unapologetically plastic."

Samsung will be pleased. And I really, really look forward to the next Fanboi who tells me my Galaxy S4 is crap because it's plastic...

GJC

29. PaulR79

Great article! How much were you paid exactly for this pro-Apple love letter?

"but it is a significant upgrade"

"Interestingly, even given all of these features, Cupertino's stated battery life for the iPhone 5S is identical to that of the iPhone 5C."

What are you talking about, did you see something different to the rest of us? A new CPU, motion sensor, supposedly better camera and a fingerprint scanner. How does that count as significant? A new CPU should be more battery efficient (ignoring the Tegra line there), a motion sensor won't be active unless apps are using it so shouldn't cause drain by itself and a fingerprint scanner.... BEHOLD! THE GREAT INNOVATORS, APPLE!

I'm no Apple fan (I know, I hide it well) but surely it's clear to most now that they have massively lost their way. A slight upgrade and a plastic rehash of last years model aren't going to set the market alight.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Storage

I was thinking that surely apple must realise the most important feature they are lacking is one that every phone I have owned in the last 10 years has had (with the exception of my iPhone)... A memory card slot. In the beginning it didn't matter - the camera on the 3G was shit. But the 4s and 5 have better cameras and the apps are getting bigger and bigger. I don't want some gimmicky fingerprint reader that probably doesn't work, I just want a fuckin' memory card slot so I don't have to clear my phone out on a weekly basis.

Apple = Dicks.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Storage

A slot would let you buy the cheaper, lower-capacity models then expand them via dirt-cheap memory cards. This doesn't benefit Apple, who would rather you paid them the extra markup for a higher-capacity version.

Not making them expandable also forces people who aren't sure if they might want the extra capacity to pay the extra upfront anyway if they're in doubt. It also has the benefit of forcing obsolescence, as the ever falling price and increasing capacity of flash storage over time makes your phone's storage look puny.

31. JDX Gold badge

Question to developers

I've been tinkering with iOS development using iOS 6 SDK, XCode 4.x, OSX 10.8 on a fairly old unibody MacBook.

How will developing/releasing apps be affected by iOS7 - will I have to upgrade XCode (which requires the new OS) to be allowed to release apps now or can I still build against the iOS 6 SDK as before? I'm not sure my Mac will even support Mavericks...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Question to developers

Yes - once IOS7 is released you'll need the new xcode to release apps (and test with the IOS7 simulator, which is a really good idea unless you just want to cross your fingers and hope everything works!).

Your Mac will probably support mavericks unless it's really old - OSX support goes back quite a long way.. we've only ever had to junk one mac (an old one that didn't support Mountain Lion, so became useless for development) so far.

32. madmalc

Is it just me...

or does the back of the 5S look like a HTC One copy

33. Alexis Vallance

We get this every 2 years. Odd years are the .5 releases, which are never that exciting. If you're on a 2 year contract between even years you get to take advantage of the main releases.

Looking forward to the iPhone 6 next September.

1. PsychicMonkey

ah yes

'cause last years "main" release was so very exciting....

It's Apple doing the advantage taking....

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: ah yes

As opposed to other flagship phones, which have added dozens of ground-breaking features? No, I thought not.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cheaper of the 2 - you mugs

See? Not necessarily "cheaper" but cheaper of the 2 models.

So 5C is still last years price and 5S is the newer "revolutionary" expensive model.

See how Apple spins it?

Ready to be mugged, Fanbois?

35. Slacker@work
    Facepalm

*yawns*

What??? a new pair of stupidly expensive Apple phones that fanbois will think great? Sorry, I thought there had been a news story breaking....

*rolls over*

*goes back to sleep*

36. Nya
    Childcatcher

Tin foil hat moment

"Another new component is the M7, which Schiller described as a "motion coprocessor." That's as in physical motion, rather than onscreen motion; the chip works with the accelerometer, gyroscope, compass, and other sensors to track how you move throughout the day, and to provide support for fitness apps."

Let me correct that for you Mr Schiller, "a motion coprocessor, a chip which works with the accelerometer, gyroscope, compass, and other sensors to track how YOU move throughout the day, and to provide support to the NSA and others we are supplying the data to."

37. Jay 2
    Meh

Local storage please!

Looks like I'll be hanging on to my 4S for a bit longer then. Potentially I could have gone for a 5S if it came in a 128GB flavour, though that would have cost a fortune SIM-free. I mean Apple are never going to put in an SD (or similar) slot, so it's going to have to be internal. They probably expect us all to plonk everything in the (i)Cloud and use all the 4G to drag it down...

All that aside I'm a bit meh about the 5S.

38. Craigie

I found the innovation!

"plus a flash with two LEDs – one cold, one warm – that can choose from 1,000 possible color temperatures to best match the environment" - that's the only bit that's an actual innovation that I can see.

So it's still too small, too expensive, and iOS is still too much like all the previous versions.

Pass.

39. MJA

Downside to fingerprint.

Fingerprint security? All it means is when somebody mugs you for your phone they will also cut your finger off :(.

People will have to buy fingerless gloves too :).

1. PJI

Re: Downside to fingerprint.

There, another saving: fingerless gloves must cost less.

1. Silverburn
        Gimp

Re: Downside to fingerprint.

Apple's fingerless gloves will cost more...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Using an iphone now has become like.....

riding a bike with stabilisers on.

When you grow up you can use a real phone.....

40. Ebaneezer Wanktrollop
    FAIL

Complete bollocks

"If you know any web admins ask them what the percentage of mobile web browsers that access their sites are you will be surprised Android sales are not reflected in web traffic, why because android marketing men are spinning the figures."

The first thing most Android users do is change the User Agent string on their browser to IE7 / Safari so to stop automatically getting shitty mobile sites on their screen which is usually big enough to accommodate a normal 'desktop' website.

On Apple ishite of course you cannot change the user agent hence their disproportionate lead in web server stats.

1. PJI

Re: Complete bollocks

"The first thing most Android users do is change the User Agent string on their browser to IE7 / Safari ...."

I assume that you are taking the piss. Most users of any browser on any platform, including software engineers, never even think about the UA string and would not know how to change it unless working in that field or have looked it up, assuming they are even aware of it.

I hear that Android based mobiles are the vast majority of smart phones in circulation, with nearly a thousand million activated. So, you are suggesting that there are five hundred million Android users who have changed their browser UA strings. Well .... I should imagine five hundred more like.

Tell you what, ask your mother, father, siblings, random shop assistants, office staff, players in the pub darts team or football team: let us know how many know about this, or even what browser or operating system they are using.

1. PsychicMonkey
        Stop

Re: Complete bollocks

I beleive it's a little tick box, says "Request desktop site", under the hood it changes the user agent.

So yes, many people probably do do it.

41. dmcq
    Happy

Compare to the Nestle KitKat ad

I just had a look at the iPhone 5C video ad on the Apple uk site

http://www.apple.com/uk/iphone-5c/videos/#video-product

The phone looks good but the video just reminded me too much of the video on

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/nestle-mocks-apple-in-kitkat-4-4-ad/

42. Maharg

My girlfriend saw the new iPhone C and said “Oh look, they made a Nokia Lumia…”

43. Duffaboy

XBox all over again.

As I went on record that Microsoft uturned in days on their policy of pre-owned games, Apple will u-turn within weeks on the pricing of the C version of this phone as its way overpriced.

44. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, still no WOW moment from Apple!

It's just another stale itteration of 2007 tech. It'll take the plebs another generation before they realise it.

Utter crap!

45. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A seven hundred quid gold telephone will be popular with the drug dealers in their wrapped Range Rovers. Stands out well for the muggers and pick pockets too.

46. Bigbird3141
    Stop

Why bother

Nexus 4 is now £159/£199. That is all.

1. Tim Almond

Re: Why bother

Someone is selling Lumia 520s on Amazon for £110.

The fact is that much like PCs, phones have basically hit a plateau. I don't need more speed - the bottleneck on my Nexus phone is with the network, not the phone. And it's not like I'm rendering frames for Peter Jackson. I use apps for telling me the next train home, playing some noddy games.

47. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just heard this on Swiss radio

Over half of mobile phone users do not secure their mobiles as they find it too inconvenient to set and enter a PIN.

So, the report surmised, Apple is not trying to increase the security level per se; it is just making it easier for the user to apply and use any security.

That seems, to me, to be an excellent motivation.

48. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Everyone has missed the point

This is Apple.. that have been identified as OPENLY allowing the NSA to peruse their systems as they please.

And now their newly released iPhone has a new "feature"... a fingerprint sensor. So it's never sent to apple... really... how to hell do we know?!

I, for one, will not be putting my finger anywhere near one. I'll stick to my pin-unlock on my HTC One ta!

1. davemcwish

Re: Everyone has missed the point

"And now their newly released iPhone has a new "feature"... a fingerprint sensor. So it's never sent to apple... really... how to hell do we know?!"

Keyword here is 'sent'. How do we know that they can't activate a pull mechamism ?

49. Piro Silver badge

Does anyone else think the iPhone isn't that pretty any more?

The design is a little tired. The big top and bottom bezels, the visual language that never changes...

Apple can surely do better than this..

1. OrsonX

Re: Does anyone else think the iPhone isn't that pretty any more?

exactly!

why not make the whole front face of the phone a screen?

keep it the same size, even keep the physical home button.

50. Julian Taylor

Nokia Colour Scheme?

Very sceptical about the colours. Same nasty lurid green and yellows as the ElopSoft phones. £469+ for a "looks just like an iPhone 5, until you realise it is made of plastic" handset.

Steve Jobs would not have let this through even the initial planning stage. Mind you, Steve Jobs would NEVER have allowed a marketing 'crat to do an Apple product launch -he had very fixed ideas of where marketing people belonged.

51. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

So,

$100 for an extra 16Gb of flash storage, worth $10. What a bargain. The Scientologists have nothing on Apple when it comes to separating the proverbial fool from his money.

52. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
    Trollface

Console like graphics

My lord so its as powerful as my Mega Drive!

53. fch

Amazing (non-)event

There's the first mass-market available product with a 64bit ARMv8 processor, yet noone considers it a breakthrough ... on the other hand, like cars, having a sports car with a flat-12 engine doesn't mean acceleration / speed are any different from the competitor using a v6 one. To be proven ...

Must admit that I'm otherwise sort of underwhelmed as well; good design/looks and well-though-out usability are selling points for sure. Apple made their brand on that for decades, and haven't failed on that front with the new iPhone either.

But visible, in-your-face-cool features which weren't available in either Apple's own or its competitor's older models, where are those ? Apple hasn't even played catch-up here, much less leap-frog. And there are even unique Apple facilities the new baby could've used, like, how about a thunderbolt interface to connect the phone to accessories, like, gasp, external storage ... How about a geeky change to the camera app to do manual focus / aperture, say, using the volume control buttons ? Or camera RAW, another first (?) in a smartphone, definitely if you did it for HD video using your own new codec ? Maybe a well-working OCR app that'd allow me to create my own ebooks from the old paper collection ?

It's an expensive development board to get your hands on ARMv8, if that's what you want ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Amazing (non-)event

"But visible, in-your-face-cool features which weren't available in either Apple's own or its competitor's older models, where are those ?"

Er, you don't think an awesome fingerprint scanner is an in-your-face-cool feature? It means no more time wasted unlocking your phone. Maybe you LOVE typing in your PIN/password/whatever every time you unlock your phone but personally I hate it, and would happily pay $100-$200 extra if that meant I didn't have to do it anymore. Even better that the technology is straight out of a spy movie, and completely revolutionary compared to older fingerprint scanners (which were almost all crap).

54. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple copies Nokia design! 620-like IPhone?

The 5c design looks very much alike the Nokia 620 one - even colors available are the same....

55. Silverburn
    Meh

Leaky Apple

Is it just me, or does the tyranical approach to product secrecy of Jobs seem better than this "lets leak stuff constantly for months pre-launch as a form of hype" current approach?

The products might be hit and miss, but at least Jobs knew to put on a show. At the moment everyone is a bit *meh*.

56. Duffaboy

The Fanbois will buy and then the price will drop.

Fanbois will buy anything with an apple logo on it, and I bet they will buy both models, so they can apple up there apartments even more. Then when Apple have wrung that sponge dry and realise that they aren't selling any more they will either

a. Drop the price

b. Make a mini version

c. release an newer model 6s 6c 6x 6y ...

1. Rukario
      Joke

Re: The Fanbois will buy and then the price will drop.

> c. release an newer model 6s 6c 6x 6y ...

Gold & Silver just came out... Before Apple comes out with 6th-gen X & Y, they need Ruby & Sapphire, Diamond & Pearl, Black & White (ok we already have these, so I guess these are Black 2 & White 2).

Of course, the proper fanboi's gotta catch 'em all!

57. The FunkeyGibbon

Meh

Neither of these make me want them and that's a problem for Apple as their business is driven by desirability.

58. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ives getting carried away

Geez, if he gets off that much describing a plastic case he's going to need shares in Kleenex!

59. Mike Flugennock
    Coffee/keyboard

An unlocked version for -- fi-fi-fi-fi...

...five hundred and forty-nine goddamn' dollars? For the cheaper, plastic case version?

Splurrrrt cough cough cough cough.

You bastards, I just cleaned off this keyboard after reading the Canadian Family Living In 1986 story.

60. Duffaboy

Apple : Our Moto

Never knowingly oversold

61. 20legend

Eh?

'Unlocked versions without a contract will be more expensive – $549 for 16GB and $649 for 32GB. Those aren't really bad prices for a modern smartphone'

What? They're fucking terrible prices - a Galaxy S4, HTC One, Xperia Z & Lumia 925 can all be had for less money as sim-free and unlocked. - and are far more desirable than a shitty poor mans iPhone.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like