back to article Biologists flush out bad breath bug

Biologists say they've identified the bacteria responsible for most cases of bad breath - Solobacterium moorei, which uses the tongue as a base on which to brew its halitosis-provoking fatty acids and malodorous compounds. Two studies helped researchers confirm the findings, Reuters reports. One by the Buffalo School of Dental …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Dudes...

It's called "mouth wash" twice a day after brushing your teeth.

Not Real Hard. :-/

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC

"It's called "mouth wash" twice a day after brushing your teeth."

and let's not forget that domestos kills all known germs.

3. Mage Silver badge
    Boffin

Mouth Wash

Terrible stuff..

May have alcohol.

If antibacterial, you create super bugs and even risk a black tongue.

Brushing is important.

Excess sinus production down back of throat is a major breeding ground, Mouthwash won't help that.

4. Sceptical Bastard

A breakthrough for IT

Where did they do the study? In an IT department, I reckon.

Now it'll be sweetness on the helpdesk and freshness in the server room! But there *still* won't be any girls.

5. Elmer Phud

So they're not exactly sure then.

"always found in patients with halitosis and never in patients who did not have this problem".

That doesn't say that it's the cause, it could be a by-product that prevents something else from infecting - a defence mechanism.

Which could mean that getting rid of it may be similar to killing all the birds to stop them eating the crops when the birds are actually eating the bugs on the crops.

Looks like they've smelt a product that will make them a fortune.

6. Davide Inglima
    Joke

@Elmer

I agree. It is statistically proven that the "Solobacterium" prevents you from being infected by the "Significantogherbacterium", which has far worse effects because it puts a strain on your wallet, prevents you from going to the pub with your friends or, worse, might also push you into breeding! How horrible!!!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Protection

I think it's pretty clear that solobacterium provides defence against sexually transmitted diseases.

This topic is closed for new posts.