back to article Apple's no-news Beijing event leaves it adrift in China

Apple’s Beijing iPhone event on Wednesday has just ended with no new announcements for a market it desperately needs to succeed in, and prices for the new 5C higher than Americans will pay for the high-end 5S. The fruity tech titan was rumoured to be ready to announce a long-awaited tie-up with China Mobile, the world’s …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LarsG

I'd be surprised if the share price doesn't plummet a little.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Can you change the keyboard? Stick in a Micro SD card? Change out the battery?

No?

So its still basically a feature phone with Angry Birds, Fart apps, and a nice camera. Their share prices should continue falling until they manufacture a useable smartphone with decent configuration options.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shareprice in freefall

Investors seemed to think this was the last card to play, and it ws a dud.

1. Steve Todd
      Stop

Re: Shareprice in freefall

Stock market rule of thumb: buy on rumour, sell on news. Lets wait until the price settles before we start with the snarky remarks shall we?

(Oh, and down 2.3% on the day is not "in freefall")

1. FartingHippo
        Trollface

Re: Shareprice in freefall

"Lets wait until the price settles before we start with the snarky remarks shall we?"

That would be no fun at all!! Nothing cheers me up on a morning like a dose of fanboi angst.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks like the the 'C' in 5C stands for China, not Cheap

Normally Apple would have taken $100 off the price of the iPhone 5 and sold it, just like they took another $100 off the price of the 4S and continue to sell that. So why did they quit selling the 5 entirely and plan to sell the 5C at that exact same price the marked down 5 would have sold at? There are only two differences between the 5 and 5C that matter: colored cases and support for TD-SCDMA and TD-LTE.

If they sold the current 5 they couldn't sell it to China Mobile customers as anything more than a 2G phone, but they can sell the 5C as a 3G/4G device. Who knows when a deal will be done, but I guess even if there isn't a deal this would help them sell a lot more phones to China Mobile customers. They've sold something like 30 million to them over the years despite no official carrier support, even though it only works at Edge speeds on China Mobile's network, so there is obviously demand for them.

4. Cliff

Pay more for a plasticky inferior product?

Don't year the largest mobile market as idiots, they're not.

1. chr0m4t1c

Re: Pay more for a plasticky inferior product?

Nope, read that three times and I still have no idea what you're on about.

1. andreas koch
        Holmes

@ chr0m4t1c - Re: Pay more for a plasticky inferior product?

Dolphin at lee a cave of autocucumber.

1. TheOtherHobbes

Re: @ chr0m4t1c - Pay more for a plasticky inferior product?

Make that:

Jony Ive dolphin at lee a cave of autocucumber

and you pretty much have all of Apple's strategy for the next five years.

2. PhilBuk

Your helicoptor is full of eels.

Phil.

1. hplasm
        Happy

So is my hovercraft. And my wombat has constipation.

2. andreas koch
        Coat

@Phil Buk - Re: Pay more for a plasticky inferior product?

Surely you meant "hovercraft"? Get your Python (Monty) right . . .

;-)

5. poopypants

Isn't it a bit rude

to charge more for something in the country where it is built?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Isn't it a bit rude

All about taxes. Here in Scotland we bottle dozens of brands of malt whisky all within an hours drive of my house. However if I fly half way around the world they are approx half the price than in my local shop...

6. Arctic fox
    Headmaster

I do beg your pardon?

"According to its China website, the low cost multi-coloured iPhone 5C will be available for between 4,488 and 5,288 yuan ($733-864, £466-549)."

Low cost? I realise of course that the English language is changing rapidly but this is a new definition of low cost with which I am totally unfamiliar.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: I do beg your pardon?

Fear not. You are going to get familiarer with it before this "depression is over".

7. johnnymotel

in other news Apple has been granted a license to sell iPhone with China Mobile http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/09/11/apple-granted-iphone-network-license-for-china-mobile-worlds-largest-carrier

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like