back to article Storage firms, tremble: MASSIVE tech beast Cisco has just spaffed $415m on Whiptail

Cisco intends to buy all-flash array startup Whiptail for the huge cash sum of $415m, catapulting the networking giant full tilt into the storage market and threatening its close relationship with EMC. John Chambers' networking giant declares: "Whiptail will strengthen Cisco's Unified Computing System (UCS) strategy and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DavidWMcCulloch

Hi Chris,

Regarding your comments about selling WHIPTAIL's product through our channel, and on competition with storage array vendors, I think it's important to clarify a couple of things.

First, you're right in mentioning that this acquisition is really about the server market. It’s a significant opportunity, but distinct from the portion of the market served by traditional stand-alone storage systems. As a result, our continued engagements with NetApp on FlexPod, EMC on VSPEX and VCE on Vblock will not change. We have no current plans to expand into the broad based, traditional storage market.

Second, we do plan to support WHIPTAIL's current installed base post close, but our focus is on evolving the UCS architecture by integrating WHIPTAIL’s data acceleration capability within the fabric computing domain and to sell integrated UCS+WHIPTAIL systems.

Best regards,

David McCulloch

Sr. Director, Corporate Communications

Cisco

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How so ?

David -- Your answer has me more confused. I am not sure what would I consider an opportunity distinct from the portion of the market served by traditional stand-alone storage systems.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

+1

Same question! also what data acceleration are you referring to.

the whiptail site don't have any details. is this servers running whiptail os connected together with UCS.

2. R8it

Desperate peace moves

Heard the same messaging from Dell all the way through the CX/VNX transition to EqualLogic, (failed) 3PAR bid, and then finally (nailed coffin) Compellent aquisition. "No, EMC really remains our friend".

Game is over David McC. If you don't go to war with EMC, they'll come blitzkrieging you (at least their sales force will, whether Joe T likes it or not).

1. smt789

Re: Desperate peace moves

this

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like