back to article Jail time promised for false tweets in China

Use of social media in China just got more dangerous after the country’s Supreme Court announced tough new guidelines which could see untrue posts which are viewed more than 5,000 times land their author in jail for several years. The court document stated that any post containing so-called “online rumours” viewed 5,000 times …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gray Ham Bronze badge
    Happy

What an excellent idea

And, as a member of the dole-bludging public servant classes, I can think of one name to be first in the dock ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What an excellent idea

Don't we have laws in this country (UK) that do similar?

Libel/Slander laws (can never remember which on is the written word) I would assume, plus others I guess regarding bullying etc...

So really this is not a shock except if there were not already laws to curb un-truths being rumoured about!

2. Field Commander A9
    Big Brother

Icon says all.

3. LarsG

Damned if you tell the truth, damned if you get it wrong.

A perfect system to oppress free speech.

4. jake Silver badge

Idiots.

Opinions are never wrong. Ever. Might be an under educated opinion, yes.

But wrong? No. It's just an opinion.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Idiots.

You're wrong, and you're a grotesquely ugly freak.

5. Graham Marsden
    Big Brother

Listening to rumours...

... is Treasonous, Citizen!

- Your friend, The Computer

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The party doesn't just decide what is rumour, they also decide what is truth.

7. MrZoolook

Quote: The court also clarified that users could be liable for even more serious offences if the rumours “seriously endanger social order and national interests”, for example if they lead to mass incidents, damage China’s image or lead to ethnic or religious conflict.

Does this mean if the people repost the official court decleration, those who brought the decleration in will be called to account? After all, legislation like this surely damages China's image.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like