back to article Your nicked iPad now likelier than ever to show up in Mongolia

The number of laptops and tablets stolen in one country and recovered in another is on the rise. Absolute Software's second annual Endpoint Security Report records that stolen kit that had not been nicked locally had been recovered in an additional eight countries as far afield as Mongolia, Gambia, Vietnam and Zimbabwe. In the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. knarf

remote brick option ?

The only way to stop thefts is to build in remote bricking. But of course this would stop the income stream of apps and content for the stolen devices.

I'll bet if your ipad is nicked then Apple knows exactly who has the device as you need itunes and apple account to do anything with it.

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: remote brick option ?

Apple probably do know where the device is but they won't brick it on your say so alone. They'd need a court order otherwise they be open to gazillions of lawsuits asking for billions of $$ in damages 'just because they can'.

Alternatively, they could just tell the NSA to do it for them.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Or when you find you can no longer get on a plane because the iPhone that Apple and the NSA know is yours suddenly turned up in Boratistan - so you must be a terrorist

2. Gene Cash Silver badge
        FAIL

Bullshit. A simple police report saying "it's been stolen" should be more than sufficient.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

So if your phone/tablet is stolen - remember to call the NSA/CIA/DHS customer service lines and tell them.

2. James 51

One thing tht annoys me about blackberry protect is that you can't have your device encrypted and still have this service run, you have to choose (blackberry protect allows for remote data wipe and location finding).

3. Nuke
    WTF?

Remote Nicking

FTFA :- "stolen kit that had not been nicked locally"

What? They can now nick things remotely?

And they get mobile reception in Mongolia? I can't even get it where I live near Chepstow.

4. Ambivalous Crowboard
    Facepalm

"It is no surprise therefore that our report reveals a rise in remote data wipes"

What with the increase of the number of devices supporting remote wipes being in circulation, yes, I'd be far from surprised to see this trend too.

Pillock.

1. PaulR79

Re: "It is no surprise therefore that our report reveals a rise in remote data wipes"

I'd be surprised if their report revealed anything less than that even if that was happening. Big surprise as vendor of remote wipe software reports increased use of its own product! Up next, Microsoft reports indicate a rise in use of their products by people who purchase their products.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We've lost a fair amount of kit to some light-fingered folks

Some stuff is genuinely borrowed with permission when someone is away and only returned when the person complains.

Mobiles get stolen (seriously...it's a mobile...put it on silent and stick it in a pocket).

Laptops (chain it to the desk, moron).

Monitors (chain them to the PC, chain the PC to the desk).

USB hard drives (unencrypted, the fools).

Wallets from drawers (that's why they have locks, dumbass).

Unless the property has been removed with menaces, people have no one to blame but themselves. Various tracking/security systems exists; use them.

1. heyrick Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: We've lost a fair amount of kit to some light-fingered folks

You seem to live in a fantasy world where people never forget things, never make mistakes, never have the boss's boss breathing down their necks over something that was not their job in the first place, never have to worry about meeting absurd deadlines, and never have to need to justify 50p spent on a replacement pen for jotting down all this shit they have to now remember lest this inability to perform other people's jobs become an issue at the yearly appraisal...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: We've lost a fair amount of kit to some light-fingered folks

I live in a fantasy world where people who are negligent (i.e. do not take the most basic of steps) get dealt with. If you take a measure (e.g. lock your laptop in a drawer) and it turns out said drawer is a bit crap, you are totally blameless. You made the effort.

Whomever bought the drawer system with the weak locks (or allowed the keys to be copied) needs a ticking off.

If you boss is worried about 50p, they are going to be pissed when you allow a £1,000+ laptop to be stolen.

6. Dylan Fahey
    Holmes

The Shadow Knows

Lost your lappy or moby, ask the NSA, they know where it is. Really, no shit, they know.

This topic is closed for new posts.