back to article Confirmed by cockup: New iPhones will be named 5S and 5C

Oops. If there remained any doubt that Apple was about to release two iPhones – one named the iPhone 5S and another named the iPhone 5C – those doubts have been removed thanks to a slip-up by one of Apple's Chinese iPhone carriers, China Telecom. "China has been chosen as [the/a] first country where the iPhone 5S/5C will be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nate Amsden

unemployed?!

this is China we're talkin about here. (S)he was probably taken out back and shot!

1. Rampant Spaniel

Re: unemployed?!

Nooo, this is modern China, euphemistic phrases such as reeducation are used instead. Long gone are the days where you could roll a tank over people and call it that lest the league of nations 2.0 might have to do something.

1. theblackhand
        Angel

Re: unemployed?!

Won't China rampage over human rights now that UK politicians aren't even prepared to approve a vote for the possibility of a future vote on possible military action if the UN finds anything amiss?

Angel because I wouldn't dream of possibly de-railing comments on one of the many new iPhone rumour articles....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The only phone upgrade required..

.. is battery life.

It's factor ONE in my list of wants on any phone. For me it's enough to examine Android as well, I have to live on both platforms anyway (and possibly on Blackberry again as well), but I refuse to carry all 2 (3) with me and battery life is for me more a deciding factor than apps or even UI. I have a tablet for stuff that requires input while I'm traveling anyway..

1. I-R-M
      Facepalm

Re: The only phone upgrade required..

I would also suggest a darn good aerial (for good reception).

I have yet to see any review of any mobile actually provide a reception test review - lets face it , the darn thing is a mobile phone so if you cannot make and receive calls because the phone does not pick up the 3G signal from the mast then it is not fulfilling the basic requirement of the use case.

2. h3

Re: The only phone upgrade required..

My Lumia 800 lasts over a day longer than the iphones / Android devices of my friends. (And then goes into a power saving mode for the last 5 percent that prolongs it further).

I can get 3 days at a push. (i.e using flight mode on trains when I know there is no signal most of the way). 2 1/2 without doing that.

Other than that there is the Razr Maxx / Razr i and not much else.

There is also those Mugen power batteries but they make the phones weigh an absolute ton.

Not sure about other Windows Phones. (I can text no matter how hammered I am as well with no mistakes whatsoever the on screen keyboard is great).

Only smartphone I have had with dumb phone like battery life was a Symbian that could do a week.

3. Neil Greatorex
    Headmaster

Reporting?

"After we reported the latest iPad rumors on Thursday morning,"

A) Reporting rumours is not "reporting"

B) Rumours is not spelt "rumors"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Re: Reporting?

I'm not a native English speaker but I imagine that the different spelling of rumor/rumour might have something to do with which side of the pond you live in... and all the eternal love between UK and US.

1. ChrisM

Re: Reporting?

Its tye policy of the vulture central team (Team Vulture?) to follow the spelling/grammar/idom of the journo involved. Therefore we get the differentbspelling from RIk etc from the west coast as opposed to what hapens on the south bank; or in Lesters case we get articles with a straw hat on top after a siesta.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So about the phone

So no change in basic design or size.(except some incremental improvement, enough to wet the pants of fanbois and have them happily empty their pockets)

S is for western decadent fanbois and C for chinese counterparts.

How enlightening! What a monumental shift in Apple philosphy.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: So about the phone

Because all other manufacturers are so different? What were you expecting; an embeddable silicon wafer with direct brain interface? Newsflash, it takes a while to get these phones to market and 'incremental improvement' is the name of the game for all manufacturers, not just Apple.

Sheesh, grow the f*ck up.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: So about the phone

Yes but Apple will make it sound so revolutionary and groundbreaking, that, will have the world gasping innit?

They'll even glorify it as St.Jobs last polished golden turd and fulfilling his last wishes for a phone which has remained essentially the same design for about 5 years now!

Guess you need to grow up and stop being mugged by Apple every 6 to 8 f...king months!

5. jake Silver badge

Whatever.

My 13 year old Nokia can still make and receive telephone calls in Sonoma Valley's so-called "dead-zones". Sometimes, it's far more important for a telephone to be a telephone than a toy.

6. egeria
    Stop

iPhone 404

Linked web page now reads HTTP 错误 404 - 文件或目录未找到。Which doesn't require Google Translate.

7. James 51

5C

Does the C stand for cheap?

8. Simon B
    Trollface

iPhones will be named 5Shite and 5Crap

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@ Simon B

Now that is just hilarious. Any more gems to share with your grateful public?

9. Thomas Duffin IV
    Happy

Can't Wait

I really can't wait for this to be released. It really will be the best phone ever!

10. Armando 123

I hope so

I want an iPhone 5, and I can get it a lot cheaper when the 5S/5C/5Famous comes out.

11. Tom 7

oh go on then

when are 5U an 5K coming out?

12. damien c

It's going to be so funny watching all the sheeple standing outside the apple shop to buy one of these.

1. NightFox

Yes, I wonder if they'll be too distracted to even realize just how superior you are?

13. A. Coatsworth Silver badge

These new iPhones and the iPad Mini remind me of that movie Ratatouille... when the fine cuisine chef died, his successor started using his image to sell all kinds of cheap crap form corn dogs to fried chicken to noodles, food that the original chef would have never thought of selling because he was a *classy* chef.

I have never liked Apple, or Steve Jobs for that matter, but one has to recognize that the iron grip Jobs had over the company's style and product range really gave Apple an important market differentiation. Seeing how now they are throwing by the board everything Jobs stood for (except his litigious mindset) is really strange

14. Doc Spock

C for 'China'?

Until now, the general consensus has been that the C in 5C stands for Colour/Color (or Cheap). But what if it stands for China - that is, the 5C will only be sold in China....?

15. M Gale

Article?

Now you have me paraphrasing that Fight Club scene in my head.

"9 times out of 10 it's an electric razor. But, every once in a while..."

*whisper* "...it's an iPhone!"

"Of course in the event of an iPhone we have to use the indefinite article an iPhone, and never your iPhone..."

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

C = cheap plastic. S = Swipe your finger

re "I would also suggest a darn good aerial (for good reception)."

It is rumoured that existing phones are not getting bigger signal bars so might well be that the plastic phone has not inherited the existing signal problems of metal iPhones.

Bigger bars all round may well mean the perception stays the same.

And hey, bigger bars do feel better so IOS 7 could well be know as the feel good OS.

PS I'm sure Apple will promise not to send your fingerprint to the NSA should you buy the 5s

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like