back to article Barnes & Noble knock Nook slate down to £79

Barnes & Noble has knocked a further 20 quid off the price of its Nook HD and HD+ tablets as it continues to try to shift existing stocks of the gadgets. Originally introduced in September 2012, the 7-inch and 9-inch Nook tablets were priced at launch at £159 for a 16GB HD and £226 for the same-capacity HD+. Both tablets, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Unhappy

If only it had Bluetooth

1. PaulyV

I may be incorrect but I was of the opinion it does:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/support-nook-hd/379003759/

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Stop

Re: JimmyPage

"If only it had Bluetooth". It does, version 3.0 according to the spec. I have a friend that has played with Cyanogen a lot and I know he has rooted an HD Nook and uses a Bluetooth headset with his.

2. PaulyV

Thanks for the article...tablet purchased, fingers crossed.

3. ElNumbre
    Thumb Up

Limited Availablitiy

Couldn't find much evidence of 8GB tablets available, but have been able to order a 16GB 7" from a major high-street retailer. Hopefully it will come with the liver tomorrow.

1. Ralph B

Re: Limited Availablitiy

> Hopefully it will come with the liver tomorrow.

Intriguing and a little disturbing. You logged on to Tescos Online and ordered ... just liver? Or it's a human organ you ordered via eBay? Or ... ?

1. Khaptain Silver badge

He might actually be confusing what "Slab" of liver actually means..

Slablet and onions, lovely.....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Couldn't find much evidence of 8GB tablets available, but have been able to order a 16GB 7" from a major high-street retailer. Hopefully it will come with the liver tomorrow."

http://uk.nook.com has the 8 gig in stock, available to order at £79.

4. JDX Gold badge

Specs and usefulness?

How are these as general Android tablets... and how crippled are they if you don't root them? Would one of these be adequate for Netflix/iPad HD streaming - that'd be the main use other than web-browsing & email.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Specs and usefulness?

There's a Netflix Android app, they have the Google Play store, the screen is HD (1440 x 900, 243 ppi), one review I read reported a real world 12 hours 35 minutes battery life, they tested by constantly looping video.

Sounds like they'll be fine ... mine hasn't arrived yet though

2. PaulyV

Re: Specs and usefulness?

Should you not wish to go directly down the manual rooting..erm...route, then you could spend a fiver or so more (plus micro SD card) over at AndroidforNook.com which will let it boot JellyBean from the SD. From what I read however the standard Nook UI seems fine for the purposes you mention.

5. DuncanL

For anyone looking for the CyanogenMod page for the HD+, it's buried under the codename "Ovation"

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Ovation_Info

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Meh

The CM team use the device codenames because typically phones and tablets may use different names in different countries, or they might use the same name for several different products, or different hardware revisions etc.

It's not the most elegant solution, but it's a complicated situation.

6. Shaun 2

Just ordered one.

7. Mike Taylor

o/t (ish)

WH Smith are selling the small-but-perfectly-formed kobo touch mini for thirty quid again.

1. PaulyV

Re: o/t (ish)

Well, thirty quid and a family bar of Galaxy for a pound.

The Kobo is a fine reader for £30.

1. Mike Taylor

Re: o/t (ish)

Bought two. Full house now.

8. TheProf
    Happy

Sainsbury's

I saw an ASUS 7" in Sainsbury's going for £79.99. 8GB and it had a microSD card slot. It was blue, if that's of any use to anyone.

Jeez I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition!

1. TheProf
      Thumb Down

Re: Sainsbury's

You're right. The Nook looks a better deal.

2. A Known Coward
      Stop

Re: Sainsbury's

Looking at their website, that would be the Asus ME172. The Nook HD has it beat on Screen Resolution (1440x900 vs 1024x600), screen colour reproduction (IPS vs TN) and judging by reviews battery life (Nook boasts 8h30m for web browsing, 12h30 for video, Asus just 6h30m for web browsing no figures on video).

I've just bought the Nook, with the quality and resolution of the screen and the microSD card slot, I think it will be great for reviewing photographs when I'm out and about. Should also make a fantastic wifi remote control for the Panasonic GX7 when I get my hands on one.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd have thought

a product called the nookie reader would have sold well at any price...

10. banjomike
    Stop

What out for the USB cable

I have the HD Plus but they both use a weird 30 Pin USB cable for charging & syncing. The cable simply isn't available by itself, only with a charger and isn't compatible with anyone elses 30 pin cable. The nook site only shows it with a US plug http://uk.nook.com/accessories/universal-power-kit-in-asphalt/9780594515364 and make a point of saying it is "imported". They also refuse to answer emails about what is included in the pack. I've emailed them 3 times in 2 months and got no replies at all. If they are clearing stock then you can bet that the mythical cable will soon be in very short supply and so I've stopped telling people how great the tablet is (it is brilliant) and just say stay away.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What out for the USB cable

I have a nook hd and tbh the usb cable is the only issue I have with it. (From john lewis with automatic 2yr warranty)

Fyi you can buy a mains charger (uk & eu plugs) and cable kit from Blackwell's bookshops if you're in the uk. They're currently 15 quid.

http://bookshop.blackwell.co.uk/jsp/id/Power_Kit_in_Asphalt___Universal/9780594515364

If that link doesn't work then search for Power Kit in Asphalt - Universal

EAN: 9780594515364

One thing I have noticed is that when plugged into a pc it charges a lot slower then when it's plugged into the wall charger. Various comments online suggest maybe the nook can detect the difference but I can think of any reason for preventing a fast charge via pc...?

1. banjomike

Blackwells did answer when I asked about the kit. But when you add postage you get £17.45 when you only need the USB cable! Too much in my opinion. Much too much.

The charger it comes with is rated at 2 amps which is a LOT higher than normal USB lumps or your PC output.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Meant to say "can't", and thanks for the heads up wrt 2A. I'd assumed it was 1A!

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"One thing I have noticed is that when plugged into a pc it charges a lot slower then when it's plugged into the wall charger. Various comments online suggest maybe the nook can detect the difference but I can think of any reason for preventing a fast charge via pc...?"

Some PC motherboards now come with some of the USB ports labelled as "charging". Not sure if this means they provide a higher output current or if they just stay "live" when the PC is switched off/sleeping.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nook HD cable

Looking at the kit on uk.nook.com I think the plug and cable are separate so that the cable can plug into the computer and any universal mains charger that takes a USB cable

12. Ian Watkinson

Bought these for the kids for holiday travelling when they dropped to £99.

Awesome little devices.

Android Store, so minecraft etc to keep them amused.

Plus you can slap a 32gb sd card in, and it's a great little portable media player with VLC on it.

13. Ian 55

Thanks. I notice John Lewis are already out of stock of the white 8Gb one.

14. simondbarnes

Fantastic buy @ £79. Found a simple stepthrough guide to install CyanogenMod as I didn't like the Nook software (and a number of apps such as flickr were incompatible with it). Now happily running Android 4.2.2 with all of the apps I want. Battery life seems good, the screen is excellent and performance more than acceptable.

Only downside is the cable but I can live with that.

1. banjomike

"Only downside is the cable but I can live with that."

Don't forget that your HD *cannot* live *without* it. The cable fails and the nook is dead. You need to think about getting a spare cable.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like