back to article Intermedia's Exchange hive goes titsup ... and no one's answering calls

Intermedia, the world's largest third-party provider of hosted Microsoft Exchange services, today delivered a masterclass in how to mismanage customers' expectations when cloud services crash. Hordes of angry customers on both sides of the Atlantic took to Twitter this afternoon to complain about "issues" with the company's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. nsld
    FAIL

Disaster recovery 101

For the customer support team remember to buy in your services from an external provider so when the stuff you flog goes pop you can still answer the phones!

2. MrMur

Same old, same old.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. corcoran

Shameless Plus

I'm collating gaffe's.

www.badcloudnaughty.com

1. ecofeco Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Shameless Plus

Exellent!

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Yay. You're email in *there* hands. Good thing this is not the cloud?

Ohh.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Better still, stop trying to push everything onto one single point of failure!

Good ole TDM has 99.99999% up time. Funny how no one thinks the phones are any good, till they stop working!

1. Steve Knox
      Trollface

Single Point of Failure is Fine...

as long as EVERYTHING is on that single point.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Some of us do appreciate "legacy" phone systems

" no one thinks the phones are any good, till they stop working!"

"Legacy" approach to office phones: 48v from a big fat central battery to drive both the switchboard and the phones connected off it.

"New improved" office phones: VoIP, PoE. Distributed UPS instead of central 48v. DIsconnect ALL analog phones (and phone lines) in the office.

Some months later: Network (and thus phone) UPS battery fails in 200+ person office comms cabinet. UPS is obsolete. WIll cost all of $400 to replace. Times are hard, networks aren't essential services.

IT Department action: throw away the UPS, don't replace it, thus losing any capability for working phones in that office during a power outage. If the power outage is a wide area outage (outside the office as well as in the office), most of the cellphone base stations in the area will also die as very few now have mains backup. Cellphone coverage will be very much reduced so there will be limited ability to make emergency (or indeed any) calls.

It's called progress, apparently.

7. Don Jefe

Red Phone

Not having a fallback "red phone" is dumb. If we learned nothing else from the Cuban Missile Crisis it is that not having at least minimal asured communications leads to no end of problems.

8. Roger Stenning

"financially backed SLA"

Well, that's about as useful as a roof rack on a helicopter, right? All you get back is the value of the proportion of time that your subscription for the services covered, not the value of the financial loss you suffered to your business - assuming it survives the hit - while the service was down.

As to not being able to, or not wanting to, answer the phones (whatever it was) in this situation, I'd say they just pissed away any goodwill their customers had left.

However you look at this TARFU, heads are very much likely to roll at InterMedia, and fairly quickly as well

1. Fatman

Re: "financially backed SLA"

All you get back is the value of the proportion of time that your subscription for the services covered, not the value of the financial loss you suffered to your business - assuming it survives the hit - while the service was down.

Which is something DAMAGEMENT WILL NEVER COMPREHEND!!!!

When DAMAGEMENT starts spouting the cloud bullshit, it is time to get the fuck out.

A clusterfuck is heading your way, and you don't know when it will hit.

9. nematoad
    FAIL

Hah!

"... so customers can likely expect a credit towards future services."

Assuming that is that anyone is daft enough to stay with this sorry bunch.

10. stizzleswick
    FAIL

This sort of thing is exactly why...

...I keep telling my customers not to go cloudy. Today all I could tell one of them was "I told you so" when he called me about this outage and asked me what to do.

11. Sureo

I'm glad I'm not the sysadmin that typed in the wrong unix command that brought the whole thing down!

1. Fatman
      Linux

I'm glad I'm not the sysadmin that typed in the wrong unix WindblowZE command that brought the whole thing down!

FTFY!!!

1. K
        Thumb Up

Have an up vote.. whoever down voted you is obviously a moron!

2. RealFred

unticked the wrong box

FTFY

2. stizzleswick
      FAIL

@sureo

"I'm glad I'm not the sysadmin that typed in the wrong unix command that brought the whole thing down!"

This whole thing is about an MS Exchange service. Guess what... runs on Windows only. And right now, I'd hate to be the foot you shot yourself into with your comment.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hint: They host MS Exchange services.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"heads are very much likely to roll at InterMedia"

You think? I doubt it tbh.

Take it from someone who works alongside one of the "largest private clouds in the UK", they know how shite the service is, therefore when this shit happens, they just prop it back up again and carry on.

The only rolling that takes place is punters cash, falling in through the front door.

1. Roger Stenning
      Meh

Hmm.

If this is the same firm that back in the early 90's, that, based on the south coast (Kent, or maybe Sussex, visited there once with a Project Consultant for my then-employer at the time), was involved in data translation/compatibility, with a hefty dose of Kurzweil OCR kit added for flavour, then you may well be right.

13. ecofeco Silver badge
    Devil

How's that cloud thing...

...oh fuck it.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Absolutely Useless Service from Intermedia - tech support is poor to say the least and now they have this major outage. Poor service levels at the best of times and now this !!!! I am jumping this sinking ship. Been a customer for 3 years now - too expensive and tech support operatives who's first language is not english. No interest.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like