back to article Lenovo chief Yang wangs hefty bonus wodge to workers

Yang Yuanqing, CEO of the world's largest PC maker, Lenovo, plans to share a portion of his whacking great bonus with staffers for the second year in a row following bumper sales figures. A pool of 10,000 workers out of the firm's more than 30,000 employees will each be given a piece of the $3.25m portion of Yuanqing's bonus, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Checks calander...

....not April....Faints

2. Arctic fox
    Thumb Down

I would be more impressed..........

........if the company increased basic wages for those on the "shopfloor" and included those employees in the company's bonus scheme. That would a lot more impressive than "generosity" from their CEO, with its implication that they should be forelocktuggingly grateful for his charity.

1. rcorrect
      Thumb Up

Re: I would be more impressed..........

Yes, you are correct. But I am also glad for the workers and their families, even if the unexpected monthly paycheck is a one time deal. Maybe later he will become a philanthropist like Bill Gates, unlike other billionaires we know about.

2. John Bailey
      FAIL

Well.. Good job he isn't looking to you to be impressed then. And please.. put the chip down.. It's getting grease on your overalls.

Personally, I've worked in companies where the boss is a familiar face, and companies where the boss never leaves his office.

When the company does better, the former takes the staff out for a drink, or if "better" is significant, a raise/bonus. The latter awards himself a windfall, and grunts to the shop floor scum to do better. This is not table scraps from the master, it's a "thank you for your contribution" gesture.

Which one do you think understands best that the people outside head office are important too?

That the head of Lenovo decided to take a personal bonus cut, and give it to the bottom level of workers is not a great philanthropic gesture, true enough. It is however, acknowledgement that it is more than management that makes a company profitable. The fact he understands that is to be commended. But if you are jealous some soggy bint chose him over you, that is pretty much your problem.

3. codejunky Silver badge

@ Arctic fox

Our wages are higher, are we happy? No. Because when our wages go up everyone wants our money. Prices go up and governments raise tax's. Actions like this where the CEO shares the victory with those involved in making it happen and looking after the workers who dont normally get a bonus means it is an actual benefit for those workers to receive that money.

I wish more companies would do more for their workers and their locations.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

sharing a bonus

I experienced the opposite. My boss decided he wanted a big cut off my bonus and I got laid off when I didn't take it lying down. He portrays himself on the interwebs as "a husband, father and friend".

So pick your friends carefully boys and girls.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

+1 to Yang Yuanqing for this gesture and minus several million to that idiot from Reuters, Doug Young.

Young is one of those pathetic types who, having done nothing noteworthy in their own lives, feel compelled to sneer at those who do.

5. Ian Michael Gumby

8% Bonus...

Essentially its an 8% bonus off the Boss's pay.

Consider it profit sharing...

6. Ace Rimmer

No matter what the gesture there's always someone who will find fault with it.

"I'm a bit too jaded to believe that Yang's donation of US$3m is a purely selfless act, since he was quite willing to give the media a detailed account of his decision."

Well we'll just have the workers give the money back then as it wasn't totally selfless. What a whining fuckwit. Why shouldn't he tell everyone about it? Throwing a few million dollars of your own personal wedge - regardless of whether you can afford it or not because you're already independently wealthy - is a big thing to do. He COULD have made it a company bonus and taken it out of company profits, he CHOSE to take it out of his own pocket instead because the gesture is more meaningful and will be received as such by those who get it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like