back to article Microsoft fattens Exchange Online mailboxes to 50GB

Microsoft's Exchange Online service now comes with bigger mailboxes. Redmond has let it be known that henceforth Exchange Online mailboxes will offer 50 gigabytes of capacity, up from 25. Kiosk mailboxes go from one to two gigabytes. Shared mailboxes and those for Resources now have 10GB to play with, more than twice their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New data centre

Fort Meade MD.

It's made available through deduping, as that is where the data will end up anyway.

2. pikey

great..more crap

I been a mail admins for over 13 years, and you know what I have found over that time? Give a user a bigger mailbox and they just store tons of crap, never delete, never manage there mailboxes.

and the best part they go on holiday, come back and moan that they are missing emails between such and such a date because there mailbox was full.

more space just means they never manage the mailbox at all.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Truer words have rarely been written.

2. N2

Re: great..more crap

Couldnt agree more,

seen people with 20,000 mails all held locally not backed up

Used to love telling, hoarders their mail-store was borked before it was all centralised.

3. Captain DaFt

Snarking aside

This is actually the way it's supposed to work.

Competitors actually competing with features and price, instead of patents and litigation.

The big question: Are we going to continue to see sane actions from MS, or was this a one time aberration?

(Well, maybe just a wee snark.)

4. WhizzMan

Double the price would not be wrong. Double the price of zero is still zero, after all.

5. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Trollface

"spare capacity to handle all the signups to online services Windows 8.1 is sure to generate"

I see what you did there.

1. Luke 11

Re: "spare capacity to handle all the signups to online services Windows 8.1 is sure to generate"

And I see what you just tried to do.

6. Jan Hargreaves

And I just upgraded one of my clients to their "Unlimited Exchange Online" which is not accessible via IMAP but is just a stupid folder that can only be seen in the browser. And it was a minimum 12 month contract... One person is going to be happy!

1. Henry Blackman

It's also available with ActiveSync for iPhones etc, Exchange Web Services to Outlook, Apple Mail etc, with the OWA app for iPhone, and Android, optimised HTML5 site, and regular desktop site. I'm sure your client won't suffer at all.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

no

Someone should create a site called "the-really-really-secret-hi-tech-inventions.com" and then stick the login details in a 365 doc.

Ten minutes later you get a login from you know who..

8. Lance 3

Microsoft has the capacity and they have moved to a new storage rig. They have decided to consolidate to a single DC that is located in Bluffdale, UT. They have also decided to outsource the management of the entire storage rig.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No they havn't - Microsoft's cloud storage is a distributed filesystem built across all of it's datacentres (and it's key components use SSDs which is partly why it is faster than rivals like Amazon). See http://sigops.org/sosp/sosp11/current/2011-Cascais/11-calder-online.pdf

Windows Server now supports thin provisioning and data deduplication natively which if leveraged in the cloud filesystem, likely significantly lowers the cost of such a solution....

1. Lance 3

I guess you didn't get it, you must be a little slow. Bluffdale, UT is where the NSA facility is; you know, the facility that stores their vast collection of intercepted data.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe they need the extra storage

No thy've bought Nokia they're preparing for all the customers that want to send email forms to complain.

10. Jamie Jones Silver badge

(*)

TCSFKAS

(The cloud service formerly known as SkyDrive)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like