back to article Win a top of the range Ultrabook with HP and The Register

This event and promo has ended. Hammer and Nails

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Vimes

'Damn! the first popup wasn't clicked on enough - we really need another way to get people to click on the link - and who cares if it pisses people off in the process?'

Disguising ads as articles? Really? Why let yourself sink so low?

1. Vimes

Hear from T-Mobile, United Airlines, Forrester and others about their experiences and advice on technology change

...by buying from HP...

Find out how to make technology change work to your advantage

...by buying from HP...

Learn how to deploy in minutes and not months

...by buying from HP...

Resolve downtime faster and get home earlier

...by buying from HP...

1. Nick Kew
        Unhappy

Bought from HP

New pavilion ultrabook, bought just a few weeks ago. I regret it already: shoddiest laptop I've had for many years.

Bought because I was able to verify good Linux support. Wasn't expecting to be unable to use it in my regular posture wiothout the trackpad going wild and sending the cursor completely out-of-control. Turns out it's only good as a desktop box, with external mouse/keyboard/monitor. So I have an ultrabook that is in reality LESS portable than the big heavy macbook pro.

1. Sandtitz Silver badge
          Mushroom

Re: Bought from HP

Pavilions are HP's consumer products. Comparing to a pricey Mac is disingenuous.

Fast, Good, Cheap - pick any two.

2. Mad Hacker
          Stop

Was that in Windows? I've been bitten before by poor Linux drivers for trackpads. They just don't seem to get them right. So if it was in Linux, check how it works in Windows before you blame the hardware.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Facepalm

I think they mean the trackpad is too close to keys and wrists to be useful. Very few drivers will fix that. Although HP sometimes do add a on/off button above the trackpad to prevent this, IMO it should not be a problem in the first place. Move the track pad, or move the keyboard or add touch screen/Leapmotion.

2. Nick Kew

Nope, no windows (I'd be lost if I booted in windows - hence start by installing Linux from a USB stick).

The trackpad trouble is intermittent. Works nicely when the machine is resting on a flat table, but unfortunately my back/shoulders/neck can't sustain that posture at a laptop. Put a bit of pressure on (by resting the front of it on my chest - posture quite similar to http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18fce4vqv5c7gpng/original.png but without the big heavy accessory) and it's useless.

2. William Donelson

Hungry hungy vultures...

... or is that Hippos?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HP + Win8?

I'd rather staple my nuts to the desk.

Less "value add" cost and a fraction of the pain of dealing with HP's software and customer service.

4. John Doe 6

Yes, cool...

...but does it run Linux ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yes, cool...

There are the latest touch laptops - don't cripple them with a legacy OS. Windows 8 is the only thing that does a touch platform justice so far.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Yes, cool...

Really? I'll have to see if W8 is better than iOS or Ubuntu... (Honest, I've never seen a touch screen "out in the wild", only in a store. Do wild ones exist?...)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

i have a hp laptop

After a few hours scraping off the crapware it's quite nice. If you can't put in those hours, look elsewhere.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like