back to article Now your iPhone apps can be FAT losers: Apple gobbles data diet upstart

Apple has picked up AlgoTrim, a Swedish upstart that knocks together tools for quickly decompressing apps, photos, videos and other stuff on mobile phones. As well as image squeezing, AlgoTrim touts a code compression library that crams software into the flash memory of ARM-powered devices, possibly reducing the size of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Khaptain Silver badge

Misread title

Did anyone else misread that title as being "Now your iPhone apps can be FART losers.".

For a minute there I thought the fanbois were going to lose their eponymous Apple Fart Apps.

2. RyokuMas
    Coat

Patent wars, round [x]:

I guess this is the equivalent of pre-fight trash talking...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Because you're not worth it.

Which is better, add more memory or compress what code you need in to a small space?

It's like going back to the old days, we all remember how slow too little memory was, but it's not £125 for a 1MB SIMM.

I suppose Apple are not selling a premium product, the margins on such a cheap phone don't allow for a bit more silicon.

1. NorthernCoder
      Boffin

Re: Because you're not worth it.

Perhaps they want to transfer considerable amounts of data to/from something smaller, such as between an iPhone and an iWatch or other iDevice.

Then the point isn't to save RAM, but bandwidth or more likely the amount of time the transmitter is active, thus saving battery.

4. petur

UPX

What was wrong with UPX?

Good luck filing that patent anyway, Apple....

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You can tell the "magic" has gone at Apple. They're just gobbling up other companies left right and centre like any other tech company now.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apple bought PA, a minor ARM licensee with some interesting ideas, and produced the A4 series of chips. That's some magic. All big companies have a history of acquiring smaller companies with interesting tech, the magic comes from integrating their tech with your own and producing something better.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looking at the website of this company, they appear to be firmly in the Android camp, and have their software in many areas, including updates and the gallery app.

That leads me to think that there are several possible reasons Apple have bought them..

To integrate into iOS more features from Android

To reap licence fees from Android manufacturers

To cut off this technology from Android manufacturers, forcing them to look elsewhere and then suing them the world over for patent infringement.

I know which one looks most likely, given Apple's recent track history.

7. Alan 19
    Headmaster

Børk! is Danish

or Norwegian. As my Swedish ex would tell you, there is no ø character in the Swedish alphabet. More correctly it's BÖRK. Tack så mycket!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like