back to article Keep on truckin'... Qualcomm sells OmniTRACS for $800m

Chip designer Qualcomm has sold off the product which made its name; the OmniTRACS vehicle-tracking platform which has been keeping truckers on the leash for 25 years. The market-leading vehicle management platform – certainly in the United States – OmniTRACS uses satellite communications to track and connect fleet vehicles, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Go

I did not know they had anything to do with it.

Live & learn.

I wish the de-merger every success.

2. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

In the US this is known as a "tattler"

US truckers know this as a "tattler". In good hands it's nothing but upsides (you can get word of road trouble down the road and go around it.) In the hands of a micromanager, it apparently is pretty bad... get done with a 2000 mile trip and get grilled over why you went the extra 1.8 miles for a nice diner instead of a greasy spoon along the highway.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: In the US this is known as a "tattler"

Tattler, too funny. Telling on what, bad driving habits, or out of route miles. It's there to make you more effective at your job, driving the truck, not bucking the system. If your leaving a city half empty, and dispatch can't call you, your company loses money and opportunity. You haul air. You get in trouble, they come help you. The old guard truck driver will eventually die off.

3. Wild Will

Eudora

Still works better than any other email client I've tried, Qualcomm is still making it available, but unsupported.

1. Eric Hood

Re: Eudora

The only mail client I currently like is Outlook for OS X and it does not handle filter creation and management as well as Eudora. The whole Eudora experience was nicer. Of course it could be that everything was simpler then.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

huh?

Did you really just call me "old"?

5. Peter Simpson 1
    Coat

It's not that *no one* wants satellite phones

It's more that the intersection of those who want them and those who can afford them is quite small. Small enough that there aren't enough customers to sustain a satellite phone business.

You'd think they would have researched that before starting the biz...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like