back to article Koobface worm-flinging gangster linked to pharma spam ops

What do you do after you've made millions through one of the most technically sophisticated strains of malware ever unleashed onto the internet? Make millions pushing penis-enhancing pills, according to more than one security researcher. The findings suggest at least one of the crooks behind Koobface has branched out to become …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Don Jefe
    Happy

Makes Sense

You really wouldn't want to buy your penis pills from a small provider. Surely you'd want to get them from the people with the biggest operation you could find. Someone who has been in business a long time and is always ready and willing to deliver the performance that keeps you and your partners satisfied.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: Makes Sense

You really wouldn't want to buy...

It's just that sometimes, that's hard to do.

2. Dan Paul

All penis enhancement jokes aside.....

Seems to me that this group, their ISP and any other associates would be one of the better targets for a "Global Hawk" and it's hellfire missles. That's what I call appropriate punishment for their un-ending spam and viruses. Likely to have more positive effect on the world than chasing Al Qaeda even.

1. Don Jefe
      Happy

Re: All penis enhancement jokes aside.....

It would likely have a more positive impact than chasing lone terrorists with robots, warships and armies: But what should they call the operation?

Operation Sandy Lube

Operation Wide Stance

Operation Canadian Pharmacy Offline

Operation Impressive Manhood

Operation Fill the Gap

I don't know. Naming things isn't my department and the marketing guys are off today.

1. Fatman

Re: But what should they call the operation?

How about:

Operation Castrate The Bastards

3. Terry 6 Silver badge

I too wouldn't cry to see something explosive directed their way: But most of my venom is still for the idiots that make it profitable. They should be locked up for their own and our safety.

1. Gav
      WTF?

Mass of idiots

I remain mystified why anyone, ever, sends money to a spammer. For anything. Can't get my head around that level of idiocy.

The hint is in the spam, people. They lied to get you to read about their pills. That's a pretty big clue that everything else they say/do is likely to be a lie/fake too.

1. Roo
        Angel

Re: Mass of idiots

"The hint is in the spam, people. They lied to get you to read about their pills. That's a pretty big clue that everything else they say/do is likely to be a lie/fake too."

The problem is that this statement pretty much applies to everyone us poor sheep deal with.

The government for one: they lied about Iraqis having the capability to attack mainland UK with 'WMDs' and amazingly I and many others of the millions of people who correctly decided that was bollocks are still paying our taxes to the inept, lying, thieving, conniving, retarded institution that we call government.

Microsoft claimed that there was no point in buying UNIX in the mid-90s because their Cairo (and then Longhorn) versions were going to have POSIX compliant APIs so you could port your UNIX apps with just a recompile and they were going to do all this magic file-system/DB stuff. Funnily enough none of that happened, and yet millions of people have spent billions of $$$ on Windows NT and it's successors.

Gav you must be incandescent with pity for all those poor suckers... :P

4. channel extended
    WTF?

Coincidence?

Note: the pharmacy that sent out the JUNK mail was selling PENIS pills.

I vote for "Operation: Git-R-Done."

5. John Savard

Protection

It seems likely that these people are operating in Russia, and have the protection of its government. That's why takedown isn't trivial.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Protection

Why does that seem likely?

6. Potemkine Silver badge
    WTF?

So the NSA can track Al-Qaeda through the Net, but it is not possible to dismantle a spam network and find the culprits? Does that mean the latter are far more efficient than terrorists, or authorities don't really mind hundreds of thousands of gullible people being scammed?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

" Maybe Koobface *is* EvaPharmacy and vice-versa."

Is it possible for Koobface to be EvaPharmacy, but vice-versa not to be true?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This wouldn't have anything to do with a young woman held at gunpoint saying.

"There's no such thing as" BANG.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like