back to article Bionic Brit Babbage Bear boards brilliant balloon, bests ballsy Baumgartner

We're delighted to report that Raspberry Pi mascot Babbage Bear wrested the world skydiving record crown from Felix Baumgartner on Monday - by leaping into the void from a breathtaking 39,000m. Stepping from his foam launch platform, Babbage took the plunge into the history books, pipping the Austrian's 38,969m jump, as this …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Blowhard
    Terminator

I, for one, welcome our terrifyingly cuddly cybernetic ursine overlords!

2. Richard Scratcher
    Holmes

"...by leaping into the void from a breathtaking 39,000m. Stepping from his foam launch platform, Babbage took the plunge into the history books..."

Or was he pushed?

1. andreas koch
      Thumb Up

@ Richard Scratcher -

It was a voluntary deplatformation.

#

I was glued to the screen from start to touchdown on Saturday, but sadly had to skip yesterdays triumph. Just as nerve-wrecking as Apollo 11 or the WSC11*.

Congratulations to the team, especially Babbage and Dave!

*Only 38 days to wait for WSC13.

2. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Watch That First Step

Or was he pushed?

No, but why he would jump from of a perfectly working balloon I just don't understand.

3. Fatman

RE: Or was he pushed?

It would cause no shedding of tears on my part, if the esteemed Microsoft CEO were to exit in the same fashion (i.e. a long fall from grace).

3. Andrew Torrance

Surely he beat the other record too ? The one for the highest jump without oxygen . I feel the guinness book of records needs to be contacted.

1. daveake

I contacted them before when I got the "highest images transmitted by an amateur over radio", but they turned me down. So .... stuff 'em.

4. Anonymous Custard
    Pint

Magnetic attraction

Anyone who's ever launched a stratomission - or indeed a humble RC aircraft - knows they are magnetically drawn to trees

Although in some more unfortunate cases seaweed seems to have a similar effect - RIP playmonaut.

Anyway nice one Dave et al, beer all round.

5. Roger Greenwood
    Pint

Knowing what was inside the bear . . .

. . should he not now be referred to as a pimonaut?

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Knowing what was inside the bear . . .

Very good. Dave?

6. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Coat

Who ate all the Pi's

Now we know. And it gives you gas.

Then you fall off the wagon.

Well done all, bears beers all 'round.

7. Evil Auditor Silver badge
    Pint

Hypersonic bear

Well done, Babbage and Dave!

Babbage, would you mind next time to slip into a streamlined suit and attempt to tackle the Austrian's free, hypersonic fall as well? I'm sure, you're up to it!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Potential Serious Issues here

I hope that bear is of a legal age to do this sort of thing, and that you guys have all the necessary consent forms plus a few.

When PETB catch up with this....

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge
      Linux

Re PETB

People for the Eating of Tasty Bears? Who the heck eats bears?!

Pinguin, 'cause bears ate all of them in the northern hemisphere.

1. Robert Moore
        Linux

Re: Re PETB

Bear is darn tasty.

Many people throughout the world eat bear.

FYI: I hear penguin tastes terrible.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: I hear penguin tastes terrible.

Not at all.

Once you get through the silver paper, and if you don't mind your chocolate somewhat on the sweet side, it doesn't taste bad at all

9. VinceH

Optional

"and camera surgically implanted into his right eye socket..."

Bah! Should have been his left eye!

1. daveake

Re: Optional

I know! Sadly I didn't think of that till after I'd done the deed.

1. VinceH
        Happy

Re: Optional

I shall forgive you due to the sheer excellence of it all.

10. Irony Deficient

magnetically drawn to trees

Surely the principle at work must be dendronic attraction? Have you considered including a lodestick of reversed polarity in the payload, to repel the arboreal influences emanating from trees?

Re: magnetically drawn to trees

An interesting concept. Do you have a material in mind for this lodestick?

1. Irony Deficient

Lester, the best material for lodesticks would of course be petrified wood, as a general purpose tree repellent. Otherwise, the lodestick material would need to be of wood of a particular species chosen to repel a particular type of tree, if you know which types of trees have tended to attract your stratomissions to date. In the latter case, I’d recommend consulting with experts, such as local druids who are familiar with tree lore.

Re: Re: magnetically drawn to trees

Well, I don't think it's practical to have a species-specific tree repellent, so we need the generic model.

2. smudge
      Pint

dendronic attraction???

He's a bear, and he very probably wanted to have a shit in the woods.

I know I would if I'd been up in that balloon.

Many congratulations to Dave and the team. I watched it yesterday - rivetting viewing, and a fantastic achievement!

1. Eclectic Man Silver badge

"He's a bear, and he very probably wanted to have a shit in the woods"

Frankly, were I facing the prospect of being dropped from an altitude of 39,000 metres, I doubt I could have waited for the woods before having a sh*t. Ted is clearly made of strong stuff.

Congratulations to all concerned.

Is there any chance that Ted and Felix will meet up for a joint photo-shoot and to share their experiences?

3. ItsNotMe

You should also consider one of those "Flying Squirrel" Suits for Lord Babbage (I'm sure HRH will be contacting him soon for his feat) for his next venture into the Stratosphere.

With that...and some well placed/designed servos...he could avoid the arboreal hazards, and land comfortably on his paws on Terra Firma.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

A sad misappropriation of valuable resources!

Think of the societal good that could have been done with the time and energy that were brought to bear......

(Dons spacesuit in anticipation of being "voluntarily" blown out an airlock)

1. Ian Yates
      Megaphone

Re: A sad misappropriation of valuable resources!

I feel like I've wandered in to a BBC HYS...

12. Wiltshire

A small step for Babbage Bear...

.. a giant leap for Teddy-Bear-kind

This topic is closed for new posts.