back to article Assange washes hands in election row

Julian Assange has weighed out of the row in Australia over the Wikileaks Party's preference allocation for the upcoming election. In an interview with Perth radio station RTR-FM, the embassy-dwelling one said decisions about preference distribution (in which the party choose where preference votes go, in what's known as above …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The quote is verbatim."

“Wirrapanda, well he's an Australian Aboriginal <sup>[sic]</sup> and I'm told he doesn't have any chance of getting elected relative to Scott Ludlam. This was an important symbolic gesture, to put Wirrapanda in the preference list, to recognise him,”

There, fixed it for you

1. david 12 Silver badge

Re: "The quote is verbatim."

It's not political correctness, nor pedantry, nor absurdity.

It is a colloquialism.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm too old for this

"Yes, Vulture South is aware that it would have been more correct to say "Australian Aborigine". The quote is verbatim."

That construct seems almost universal in Australia these days. I suspect it originates in the belief that while a noun (Aborigine) categorises the subject of the sentence, a dangling adjective (aboriginal) gives the appearance of avoiding that. Capitalising the adjective is, I suppose, an attempt to camouflage the grammatical absurdity.

It's all to do with being politically correct one suspects, as opposed to being grammatically correct.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

I suspect it's neither exactly

but a combination of political correctness and pedantry*. 'Aborigine' is reductive. So we should say 'aboriginal person'. But people are lazy so we end up with 'Aboriginal'.

Now there shouldn't be anything wrong with 'Aborigine' but the fact is the word has a history - all those old well-meaning but cringeworthy references to "the Aborigine". Frankly, it's easier just to go with the tide and say 'indigenous Australian'.

*Assuming you don't just define political correctness as pedantry which I don't.

3. Gray Ham Bronze badge

Affirmative action

In a way, it's a pity they aren't running in South Australia ... would be interesting to see them apply the "affirmative action" logic, forcing them to preference Peny Wong.

4. Old Handle
    Facepalm

I kind of figured this was the case, that it was about individuals, not parties. I mean I don't understand the intricacies of Aussie voting, but surely the individual candidate is still the most important consideration.

Not that giving someone votes just for their race strikes me as a really cool thing to do.

1. Vociferous

He doesn't give a shit who the party supports...

...as long as it maximizes his chances to get elected. This is _yet another_ ploy to avoid standing trial in Sweden for rape.

5. Thomas 4
    Unhappy

This is a very dark time

For the longest time, I really thought that Julian Assange was a jumped up little shit looking to avoid questioning for rape charges back in Sweden. To be fair, the man *is* a ghastly little toad...

...but...

Having just read about that Guardian journalist's boyfriend that got held for 9 hours for absolutely no frigging reason, does kind of highlight the fact the US are turning into bigger monsters than Al-Qaeda. Breanna Manning is going spend the rest of her life locked in a cell while her dysphoria, depression and other mental issues eat her alive. Edward Snowden is effectively exiled and now has the choice of living under a barbaric Russian regime or getting a second helping of the "justice" that was dished out to private Manning. Yes, Julian Assange is a narcissistic prick but he's absolutely right to be afraid.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Breanna Manning ??

Is that Private Bradley Manning's sister ? Mother ? Cousin ?

Why is she in jail ? Are you sure it has something to do with what her bother/son/cousin did ?

Somehow I think you are confused about some details of the Manning issue.

1. Thomas 4

Re: Breanna Manning ??

Breanna Manning is the name Private Manning identifies with according to Zinnia Jones, the transwoman that was called to the trial. I can't provide a link as some of her stuff is NSFW but when the subject of Private Manning's dysphoria was raised, Breanna Manning was one of the names the former Bradley Manning was potentially choosing for her female side. If you do a Google search for Zinnia Jones Bradley Manning, you'll find a number of articles Zinnia Jones wrote for FreeThoughtBlogs and The Huffington Post, amongst others. She was interviewed by Al-Jazera, if I recall correctly too.

1. Vociferous

Re: Breanna Manning ??

Interesting. I thought Manning was just gay and snapped after an unhappy love affair, but clearly he's got a lot more issues than that.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I stand corrected

Especially given the publication of this article.

Seems that there is more than meets the eye in this case. Much more.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This is a very dark time

Hmmmm, they just say he's the guys "partner". Could be boyfriend, could be a business partner.

Not sure, not really enough info to know. (and I don't personally care, so "just saying" :>)

3. Scorchio!!
      Happy

Re: This is a very dark time

"Yes, Julian Assange is a narcissistic prick but he's absolutely right to be afraid."

Indeed, as should anyone who steals state security secrets, irrespective of the country concerned. Don't be paranoid; they will catch you in the end.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yet again Assange is showing the back-bone that he is famous for.

"I've got a problem, how shall I deal with it: I know, I'll run away and pretend that the problem is someone elses'"

Utterly pathetic.

7. Vociferous

Hahaha

“The Wikileaks Party is a party, it's not a plaything – it's not Julian Assange.”

Unlike Wikileaks, which he claims to be the founder, dictator, soul, and generalissimo supremo of.

Seriouly, Assange can not open his mouth without lying or contradicting himself. I'm starting to think he's a sociopath.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hahaha

Personally, I think it's very good form. Political parties where everyone must "toe the exact same line" has definitely shown to lead to moronic decisions.

In this instance, each state is free to decide what's most appropriate themselves, without needing the higher level leadership to get deeply hands on involved.

Given a few years and lots of practise, they should have their systems and its people working things out much better. (we hope of course)

8. Anomalous Cowshed

Sorry

Sorry to sound a little out of touch with the main topic of this erudite article and discussion, but what some of us want to know, is: what's all this about Whirly pandas? Is this some new kind of panda? Does it do kung fu?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Waffling

SOS, DD from Assange. Anything he can do to get media attention and manipulate people for his personal benefit, he will. He's a real scammer and most people have not a clue.

10. mhenriday
    WTF?

I note that a lot of Anonymous Cowards

don't care for Mr Assange. Hardly surprising - but it's sad to see Mr Chirgwin encouraging that sort of thing with his ««You don't think I run this party I'm standing for, do you?» and «the embassy-dwelling one». I'd have thought better of him....

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like