back to article Tiny fireball exoplanet completes one year in 8.5 hours

Researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology have discovered a new, Earth-sized exoplanet for which orbiting its star is literally all in a day's work. The newly discovered planet, dubbed Kepler 78b, completes one full revolution around its star in just 8.5 hours – fast enough that by the time you clock in at the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Herby
    Joke

Now if just have the...

Air conditioning concession, I could make zillions.

Wonder what the "night time" temps are, usually they are a bit colder.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Don't count on it

The resident silicon based lifeforms would ban your "instruments of terrible freezing death". Of course if they're anything like humans you could still make your zillions.

2. nanchatte

hang on...

Wouldn't a planet that close to a star tend to be tidally locked? In which case one side would bake and one would freeze?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: hang on...

Tidal locking - yes, I would have thought so to some degree, although it does't have to be a 1:1 lock. A lot depends on orbit shape. Mercury for example is "sort of tidally locked" - it has a stable 3 rotations for every 2 solar orbits; due to it's eccentric orbit this is a stable gravitational resonance point.

Baking vs Frozen - stick a nice thick frozen burger under a grill and tell me if the underside is frozen after 20 minutes. That close to the star convection through the surface from the light side should outweigh radiant losses from the dark side. The star will be dumping a _lot_ of energy into it and it has to go somewhere.

Presumably that close to the star it never cooled that much and has stayed pretty close to molten all the way along ...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

One footnote -> if it isn't entirely in a 1:1 orbital tidal lock then the friction of the tide through any rock will itself generate vast amounts of heat. At least one of the moons in our solar system (one of Jupiter's IIRC) has a molten cores long after it should have cooled, and that's entirely down to tidal effects though rock.

2. TheOtherHobbes

The surface is probably a metal/carbon/silicon sea, with some very interesting tides and a very busy hot atmosphere.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Flame

...and so close to its star, it might even be orbiting within the stars own atmosphere.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Search for Earth II

It's still in the factory. It'll be delivered once the mice are happy and have paid the final installment.

Thanks, Slartibartfast.

1. stucs201

Re: Search for Earth II

Also, having the Vogon's explode Earth I first is going to be inconvinient.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
        Headmaster

Having the Vogon's what explode Earth I? Presumably you meant a fleet of impossibly huge yellow somethings which hang in the air in much the same way that bricks don't, but you weren't clear.

1. stucs201

Oops. Ah well, at least I didn't post any Vogon poetry.

4. Blain Hamon
    Joke

Mandatory XKCD link

Perfect timing. Today, XKCD posted the list of public suggestions for planet names. http://xkcd.com/1253/

1. stucs201

Re: Mandatory XKCD link

Akima: You can’t call a planet “Bob.”

Cale: So now you’re the boss. You’re the King of Bob.

Akima: Can’t we just call it “Earth”?

Cale: No one said you have to live on Bob.

Akima: I’m never calling it that.

Titan A.E.

2. Steven Roper
      Thumb Up

Re: Mandatory XKCD link

e'); DROP TABLE PLANETS;--

I see little Bobby Tables has grown up to become an astronomer!

5. YARR

Presumably at that distance from it's star, this planet must be locked in a synchronous orbit, and it wouldn't be able to retain an atmosphere. So there must be an intermediate zone on the surface where the star can just be glimpsed on the horizon, perhaps without being cooked?

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Don't know about that. It may well actually have an atmosphere. Of vaporized rock.

I imagine that some astronomers will be seeking a tail from that planet.

6. jonfr

Weather forecast for the next year

The weather forecast for the next year is, sunny with up to 2000°C (2273.15K) heat and with a chance of molten stuff falling out of the sky.

7. Interceptor

I wonder if this little guy is the core of a gas giant that has had all of it's outer atmosphere boiled away due to it's proximity to the star.

8. Nate Amsden

need some sunblock 5000

Just apply a pint to your skin, and your good for hours.

1. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: need some sunblock 5000

My good for hours what?

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: need some sunblock 5000

Funny, that's what your old lady said.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Question: To cool a satellite orbiting somewhere that's very hot could you cool it by converting the heat to laser or radio emissions?

I'm thinking of the most powerful pirate station that we know of*. I suppose that in orbit around the sun near Mercury you would only be able to receive it on Earth during the daytime.

*Playing Disaster Area 24/7

10. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Stunning feat of measurement.

It's so close to this sun it completes an orbit in 8 hours.

Next to a sun that's practically nothing.

Thumbs up for that feat alone.

Note at 3000K I think only something like Tungsten is actually solid.

11. miket82

Ice pack

I've got the ice pack concession but I'm open to offers.

12. technohead95

"it's incapable of supporting any form of life that we'd understand" excepted cockroaches!!

This topic is closed for new posts.