back to article Getting worried, Assange? WikiLeaks spaffs out 'insurance' info

WikiLeaks has released a massive encrypted cache of documents as an “insurance policy” to be opened if its leaders come to harm. Julian Assange's rebel army published torrent links to about 400GB of data on its Facebook page, but have not yet explained how to access the files containing the sensitive material. It is likely …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah, blackmail as a bargaining chip against arrest for legitimate questioning for rape accusations.

We all know that Wikileaks won't give two cacks about Snowden, it's all about Assange.

Anyway, my opinion is that they've put up 400 gigs of random numbers which will look like an encrypted file, rather than any actual data. Why? Because they're Wikileaks, their whole point is to release data, why would they keep any back, unless it shows them in a bad light?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Ah, blackmail as a bargaining chip against arrest for legitimate questioning for rape accusations"

Probably cheaper than a lawyer who'll try to paint Assange as a saint not someone wanted for questioning over serious sexual offences. Oh, hang on, he's already tried that approach and lost ...

2. ecofeco Silver badge
      Holmes

> Ah, blackmail as a bargaining chip against arrest for legitimate questioning for rape accusations.

Reductio ad absurdum.

This is nothing more than spy vs spy Mexican standoff. Or MAD, if you prefer.

What's the old saying? "Don't dish it out if you can't take it."

Neither Snowden nor Assange started spying on everyone.

I'm still waiting for Murdoch to so some jail time.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Reductio ad absurdum." You keep using that word, but I do not think it means what you think it means.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Thumb Up

"Reductio ad absurdum." You keep using that word, but I do not think it means what you think it means.

It's a Hogwarts 1st years practice spell to make their schoolbooks smaller for carrying from class to class.

2. Vociferous

> What's the old saying? "Don't dish it out if you can't take it."

Yeah, becaues it totally makes sense to release US military secrets in retaliation for Sweden wanting Assange on charges of rape and sexual assault. Totally.

And WTF is Wikileaks doing holding back leaks anyway? Isn't their whole point to release stuff? So release.

1. Turtle

The Whole Point

"Isn't their whole point to release stuff?"

No, WikiLeaks point is to make money. Recall that John Young considers WikiLeaks a criminal organization whose primary purpose is commercial.

See "Wikileaks are for-hire mercenaries - Cryptome" http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/07/cryptome_on_wikileaks/ from where I cite: "From the earliest discussions, Young alleges, Wikileaks intended to pimp out the information for funds. 'Well, it only came up in the topic of raising $5 million the first year. That was the first red flag that I heard about. I thought that they were actually a public interest group up until then, but as soon as I heard that, I know that they were a criminal organisation.'"

2. William Boyle

No charges have been filed

There are no charges against Assange in Sweden or elsewhere (except maybe in the US). He is only wanted for questioning, and there are many who believe that it is a ploy to get him where he can be extradited or renditioned by the US government.

1. Danny 14

Re: No charges have been filed

What was it obama said about snowden? Something along the line of hes only one man and we wont make too much effort? Then the week after a head of states plane was detained! I dont fancy assanges chances much if he had gone to sweden.

Even if im not keen on assange or his rhetoric, it seems his fears are quite founded

2. Vociferous

BECAUSE THAT'S NOT HOW SWEDISH LAW WORKS.

Seriously, why do you guys keep parroting this, it's a red herring: in the US and UK which use Common Law, charges are filed before the investigation is concluded. In countries like Sweden which use Civil Law, charges are filed after the conclusion of investigation, right before the trial starts. A quick googling will show you this.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Defendants can also be tried in absentia I believe.

2. mhenriday
              Boffin

A quick google would also show, «Vociferous», that Swedish law permits the taking of depositions abroad, a procedure which has been carried out previously. Mr Assange has offered to be be subjected to an interview in his refuge at the Ecuadorean embassy in the UK, after which charges could be filed if sufficient evidence were forthcoming, but the Prosecutor's Office in Göteborg (which, by the way, is not the jurisdiction in which the alleged offenses took place) has refused. My conclusion is that the case, which was dismissed by a Chief Prosecutor in Stockholm, where, in contradistinction to Göteborg, the offenses are alleged to have taken place, is simply a means for our (in)justice system here to get its hands on Mr Assange, in order to send him to the United States, thereby demonstrating once again our total loyalty to the Empire....

Henri

3. Scorchio!!
            FAIL

" there are many who believe that it is a ploy to get him where he can be extradited or renditioned by the US government."

Beliefs, are like opinions, which are like arseholes; everyone has one. However, the Swedes have made a number of things quite clear; 1) under EAW terms they cannot extradite without UK permission; 2) they would not extradite for capital offences; 3) they are willing to let the US have first go at extraditing Assange from the UK if they wish to charge Assange: Given that the last Labour government signed a 'we bend over for Uncle Sam whenever they tell us to" treaty, such that we ship suspects back to the US as soon as Uncle Barak flutters his eyelashes at the British PM, it is the case that your claim is completely irrelevant, fictional, a phantasm, not connected with reality, ignores the easy way to do things which would be to inform Sweden that they want first go, with Assange in the barrel in a UK court.

Pah.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Mushroom

"Yeah, becaues it totally makes sense to release US military secrets in retaliation for Sweden wanting Assange on charges of rape and sexual assault. Totally."

Actually, yes, it does. They have a stick to beat the biggest boy in class with so as to get him to do the dirty on the smaller boy over there --->

A bit like Iceland threatening NATO and therefore the US with closure of a NATO base in Iceland because the UK didn't agree with Icelands fishing policy in the middle of the Cold War.

The Iceland/UK fishing policy was brokered (to the cost of the UK) by a US NATO general. See how it all works now?

3. Scorchio!!
        FAIL

"Reductio ad absurdum."

Employing an argument to extreme forms to demonstrate its absurdity? Certainly not; this is indeed blackmail, as in if you try to do me for my involvement of the theft of your state secrets, why, I'll publish them.

Silly billy. Attend Logic 101 this autumn.

3. Charles Manning

The one way this could work properly

Assange has always asserted that he can't turn himself in for the rape charges because he will then get spirited away by USA.

Right now that looks to many like a smokescreen to escape the rape charges. To get his credentials back, Assange needs to face those charges to clear his name.

The one way this could all work well is:

* They send out their 400 gigs of backmail data.

* Assange turns himself to face the rape charges.

* If Assange gets spirited away, then they crack the lid on the data.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The one way this could work properly

Indeed. The UK police arrest people for writing news articles, so Assange is screwed.

2. Paul Renault

... he can't turn himself in for the rape charges because he will then get spirited away by USA

Um, there haven't been charges. Accusations, but no charges. Your recollection of the details may be hazy. He's already been interviewed once by the Swedish Police. At the time, they decided that there was no case. See here:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2010/dec/17/julian-assange-sweden

The article is longish, but worth the read.

There's a question that Assange (among lots of other folk) has asked, over and over: "Why won't the Swedish Police come to the UK and interview him there?" This is allowed by Swedish law. Because of the cost? The UK government could save millions by paying the Swedish Police's expenses, no?

I think that Assange's suspicions are entirely reasonable.

1. Joeykins
          Stop

The reason that there have not been charges is because of the way Swedish law works. Assange has been questioned by Swedish police and is now " required to surrender for interrogation before any charges can be made and prosecution brought". They intend to charge him but cannot do so until he is arrested, hence the European Arrest Warrant.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/media/2012/09/legal-mythology-extradition-julian-assange

1. mike2R

"The reason that there have not been charges is because of the way Swedish law works."

As the people going on about the lack of charges know very well, given how throughly the UK courts went into the issue.

You really don't help your own case by making misrepresentations of this sort people. You've got a good case, given recent events, that there is a lot of stuff going on that shouldn't. Stick to the truth, it is considerably more convincing.

2. Scorchio!!
          FAIL

"Um, there haven't been charges. Accusations, but no charges."

As has been pointed out multiply, Assange's Swedish counsel was advised by the Swedish police that they wished - as per the legal process in their jurisdiction - to interview him prior to charging him; almost the next day Assange appeared in the UK; Assange's lawyer claimed he'd never heard from the Swedish police, but had to recant in a UK court, on perusing his mobile phone logs.

That's it, that's all; the Swedish police would have charged Assange had he not absconded.

That he has now repeatedly absconded - the second time obviously being his bail, coughed up by many worthies who are a few spons the lighter - makes me inclined to believe that he is a tad rapey. Since the case of, e.g., Nadja Benaissa in Germany and others throughout the EU there's no excuse for claiming that you meant no harm, that you thought the woman was 'in a tizzy' and nothing more, because you fucked them without wearing a condom, when they'd said no condom=no sex, and CJS officials in the UK have said they'd charge such an individual with rape.

Interestingly the posters who see no problem with Assange allegedly having bareback sex are all men, and AFAICT in the UK, where sexual hygiene standards leave a lot to be desired.

3. kartstar
        Thumb Down

A warning to anyone. Please be weary whenever anyone mentions the phrase "rape charges" please take their comment with a grain of salt. They are not "rape charges" they are "rape allegations". Assange has not been charged with anything, he has been accused and is wanted for questioning. Either they are attempting to mislead you, or they do not know enough about the topic and should not be commenting about it.

4. Ian Michael Gumby
      Devil

Julian should have been reading El Reg...

It seems that the encrypted files are not as difficult to break as once thought...

(There was an article to that effect sometime in the past couple of weeks)

So you can bet the NSA probably has already decrypted them... ;-)

But to the AC's point...

Yeah, its all about Julian.

Its not just the rape charges, but the fact that if the evidence presented in the Article 32 hearing was presented at Court Martial, it could mean future problems for Julian. (Which is why he hired a lawyer to sit in the court room and monitor the trial...)

Wikileaks isn't just about releasing data and exposing corruption and illegal activities. Oh no, its to promote Julian and to capitalize on others sekrets.

1. mhenriday
        FAIL

Re: Julian should have been reading El Reg...

In the event that Mr Assange feels the need for lessons in self-promotion, he'd be advised to contact one Ian Michael Gumby....

Henri

2. Scorchio!!
        Thumb Up

"Wikileaks isn't just about releasing data and exposing corruption and illegal activities. Oh no, its to promote Julian and to capitalize on others sekrets."

Indeed; Julie's found a lot of ways to make money; take massive advances from publishing houses wanting his autobiog, then withdraw; pay wall; demand a million for an interview... ...oh, I forget all of the clever devices that greedy St Julie has invented. Quite soon he'll be as rich as St Tonibler, and people will wake up to what a fake it has been.

I mean, stealing a state's secrets and selling them. The King is completely, absofuckinglootly naked.

3. Gareth 7
        Facepalm

| So you can bet the NSA probably has already decrypted them |

??? why

they have the clear text already.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let me get this right

They took all the data from the pure hapless Manning and complain about free speech while they hold back 400Gb of data.

Does any of the files contain a definition of irony for them to read ?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Let me get this right

Nah they don't but meanwhile...

100's if not thousands of NSA computers are trying to break the encryption.

I guess that we could save them the trouble. The contents will just be a single text file that contains the words

Fourty Two.

Ok, coat....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Sorry, but if it's AES-256 like the last bundle they released then it will be ONE NSA computer for about ten seconds.

1. Arthur 1

> Sorry, but if it's AES-256 like the last bundle they released then it will be ONE NSA computer for about ten seconds.

I don't understand the whole Rijndael NSA backdoor concept. The NSA didn't touch Rijndael until a very long time after it was proposed, and the creators have no affiliation with the US at all. As a matter of fact, despite the whole ridiculous 'cryptosystems are munitions, ban them outside the US' nonsense, the NSA has a history of strengthening public cryptosystems at least as often as weakening them. Sure they demanded DES be limited in keylength, but remember the changes to the DES s-boxes? Everyone was oh so convinced that it was an NSA backdoor, and it turns out that they just had differential cryptanalysis before everyone else and the old s-boxes would have been helpless against it.

Their backdoors have historically been bypassing encryption with stuff like key escrow in clipper chips or by limiting foreign key lengths to things they knew they could brute force, not putting inherently weak encryption out there. And they've usually been flagrant about what they were doing. That's simply because the NSA is smart enough to understand that only they can access explicit backdoors, but anybody could potentially uncover inherent cipher weakness. And they don't want American interests using encryption that someone else could crack, they want to have the monopoly on that.

2. Adrian 4
          WTF?

Why would it need to be hard for the NSA to decrypt ? Assuming it's something sensitive, they already have it.

The threat comes from revealiing it to us, not to the NSA. While the threat of revealing something unknown but possibly damning is useful, the threat of revealing something specific is far stronger. And if the warning allows them to be ready for that specific disclosure, it doesn't mean there isn't more.

2. Vociferous

> Does any of the files contain a definition of irony for them to read ?

Wouldn't help, Assange is utterly blind to irony. We're talking about a guy who operates a leak-site, but (when asked by the New York Times) refused to redact the names of afghans who had cooperated with the US, with the words: "Well, they're informants. So, if they get killed, they've got it coming to them. They deserve it."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Torrent it anyway

It's good cover for downloading dvds and games.

4. Herby

Why can't they leak...

Something about Al Qaeda that would be revealing in what they do?

It would be helpful to show that WikiLeaks is "unbiased" in their actions!

p.s. I hope this doesn't get flagged for some bad reason, nor the lookup I did to find a reasonable spelling. Honest, I don't mean to be a bad boy!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why can't they leak...

I guess because Wikileaks wouldn't look particularly impressive when the headline was "Islamist terrorist organisation intend to blow up Zionist something or other." That and, if they had this kind of information and didn't send it to the law enforcement authorities they'd make themselves look like an organisation who are happy to interfere with law enforcement's legitimate attempts to prevent atrocities and bring those who commit them to justice.

Basically wikileaks is only really going to go after western governments, military and companies. They may go for, say, Russia, but I doubt it. Assange seems to think that his enemy's (US Gov) enemy (Russian Gov)is his friend.

1. John Sanders
        Unhappy

I have said it here many times, Asange and company are what the Soviets called during the cold war:

"Useful idiots"

2. Lars Silver badge
        Happy

"Assange seems to think that his enemy's (US Gov) enemy (Russian Gov)is his friend." I have some doubts about "whistleblowing" having anything to with "unbiased" or "biased". And perhaps it would be nice with a "Russange" living on some sofa in Moscow or London. And quite frankly we are not killed by too much information, TV ads being the exception, but rather the lack of it. This is of course mad, but a result of reporters having lost their freedom of speech years ago. Do not kill the messenger, as they said, years ago, if not to day.

1. Vociferous

There is a russian "wikileaks". It's operated by the FSB.

3. Scorchio!!
        Thumb Up

"They may go for, say, Russia, but I doubt it. Assange seems to think that his enemy's (US Gov) enemy (Russian Gov)is his friend."

Plus the Russians don't fuck about where this sort of thing is concerned; ask the families of hundreds of murdered Russian/Russian commonwealth journalists. Anna Politkovskya springs to mind, plus also it is the case that a certain former Russian KGB Lt Col. had to die because he wrote a very frank, revealing and damaging assessment of another former Russian KGB Lt Col. whom he in the line of duty some years back investigated for fraud and other criminal activity; yes, if you hadn't guessed it, the latter former KGB senior officer was in fact the very one responsible for industrial espionage against the west, grandson of Stalin's former cook, the very macho Vladimir Vladimorovich Putin, aka 'Voro', to use kindergarten Russki.

No. I don't think they want to fuck with Russia, because Russia will fuck them back good and to hell with political correctness, yuman rights and any other western 6th form debating point; they'll do it and not even discuss it, never mind the denial bit. Why? Look at the Russian state duma; it's almost completely filled with Voro's former colleagues, that is to say former KGB placemen.

To these people the burden of thinking morally, or of treating people like Brazilian information couriers, Guardian journos and the like with anything resembling respect is not a priority; no use being a faux naif 'partner' of a Graniad journo, claiming you did nuffink wrong, later only to say in the midst of a hissy fit that you will reveal lots of interesting things about (UK in the current instance) Russian int & sy services, that'll pop you straight in line with the crosshair, no problemo.

2. ecofeco Silver badge
      Facepalm

> Something about Al Qaeda that would be revealing in what they do?

Just how much access to the Internet do you think goat herders have?

1. BrownishMonstr

But then, how do they post their Jihad Magazine?

5. Mr Young
    Happy

Plod - deploy quality burger van!

Sounds like he may try and make a run for it? Game on - circa 70's good luck etc

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Instead of an elected Government ...

... deciding what we can and can not see we now have a bunch of unelected activists deciding what we can and can not see.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Instead of an elected Government ...

Yes, that's the problem with vigilantism, starts off with good intentions and unfortunately doesn't last.

1. Vociferous

In the case of Assange and Anonymous, it's pretty much the other way around.

2. Chris King

One day, you're BFF's with the vigilantes, next day they're riding you out of town on a rail...

3. Scorchio!!

"Yes, that's the problem with vigilantism, starts off with good intentions and unfortunately doesn't last."

Yeah, but it's a profitable business; look at Julie's £80,000 salary for starters, never mind the other clever scams this scallywag has. The hell with ethics, this is big business, and it's gonna get bigga if we kun git eeeeelected (background music of Alice Cooper singing 'I wanna be elected').

7. Slef

understandable

Given the detention of David Miranda by our finest whilst transiting through a UK airport I can't really blame them...Do peeps really think that the septics play fair? remember the video of the helicopter murdering (and I use the word intentionally) innocent civilians that the US Generals denied existing ? Personally I think that would never have been seen otherwise. Oh and was not an official sovereign state plane forced to land in France just after Snowdon was in Moscow!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: understandable

You will note that the independent reviewer of the anti-terrorism legislation in the UK has done his nut about the arrest and demanded an explanation.

You will also note that giving your partner a memory stick to move documents around isn't beyond the imagination.

No, I don't think he should have been held for 9 hours, it's appalling, but I also think that there is at least a reason to ask if it's possible that he may have had documents that he shouldn't have had.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"...remember the video of the helicopter murdering ..."

Yes, I do, do you remember that Wikileaks edited the video and removed a whole load of footage from the start. They then editorialised about it being murder.

Wikileaks could serve an important purpose, but if the edit information (other than to protect the innocent) and if they editorialise they trivialise what they are doing and become a sensationalist newpaper, not a leaks site.

1. Alfie Noakes

Do you have proof of these so-called "edits"?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Ok, the fact that arrows appear highlighting parts of the video sort of proves it's been edited, however there is also:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/richard-adams-blog/2010/apr/08/wikileaks-collateral-murder-video-iraq

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_12,_2007_Baghdad_airstrike#Leaked_video_footage

http://collateralmurder.wordpress.com/

http://gawker.com/5515720/stephen-colbert-grills-wikileaks-founder-on-helicopter-video

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

its a trap

If this crap contains one, just even one, child porn picture.....everyone who downloads it will become a registered sex offender. Just one picture of some underage girl or boy.... BAM... screws up the rest of your life...Job, place to live, reputation...

9. Arachnoid

Hello is that I.T.?

OOPS the server suddenly went down and all the back ups are corrupt

1. Vociferous

Re: Hello is that I.T.?

Morons DDOS'd themselves.

2. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Hello is that I.T.?

But surely they have backups of the backups of the backups?!

10. g e
    Holmes

You know what the data is don't you

A fucking _enormous_ lolcats image

Meanwhile 400,000 CPU hours wasted at the NSA.

1. LaeMing
      Go

Re: You know what the data is don't you

And stegged into the encrypted LOLcats image is a heavily encrypted Goatse image.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
        Joke

And inside that image is one of a two-fingered salute

After that it's turtles all the way down

2. Chris King

Or an enormous scan of his to-do list ?

Cancel papers

Hire better defence lawyer

3. Horridbloke
      Black Helicopters

Given the NSA's resources 400,000 CPU hours is probably under a minute in real time.

11. Vociferous

"Julian Assange's rebel army"... Yeah, that's Anonymous.

12. roomey
    WTF?

Anonymous cowards are out in force

Wow never saw so many cowards blasting away on a story. I'm not "saying" that these are not genuine comments, but as a very long term, committed el reg reader this feels off to me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Anonymous cowards are out in force

I'm a long term poster, in fact I have been commenting since you had to email your comments to the author and there was a weekly round up on Fridays.

If they're legitimate comments and AC, who cares? I don't have a desire to build up points, I also have a desire to stay anonymous, partly for personal reasons, partly because I make comments about IT industry and I don't want my employer finding out I'm speaking out of tern. It's also non too difficult to find out who someone is based on their posting history, if they post anything interesting, that is.

I'd consider posting under my handle, if everyone else had to, but it would limit what I'm willing to talk about. I wouldn't be able to talk about my sexuality, my job, be critical about parts of the industry I may work with in the future, or have in the past. etc. etc. I certainly wouldn't be commenting on articles about Wikileaks etc.

13. flearider

so he releases 400gb of data he knows the nsa will crack ..and in that file is who killed jr ..the moon landing was faked and the plan to make us all slaves ...

nsa leave him alone for 10 yrs and then he dies of some new illness ..

at which time they make there move and inslave us all be fore we have time to react...

14. John Deeb

The 400G is the Snowden cache. And the release in the wild is a reaction to how "Terrorism Act 2000" was being tested against David Miranda. Both testing the waters. A game of chicken. We'll see...

15. Benjol

Can someone please explain why there's more chance of being extradited from Sweden than from the UK?

1. Lamont Cranston

The risk of being extradited by the UK

is the reason for him hiding in the Ecuadorian embassy, is it not?

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre

He's a Commonwealth citizen; extraditing him from the UK may be in breach of agreements with gov.au, or that's what I read. Sweden doesn't have that problem; in fact they once stated that they would not press any charge that would interfere with the US' prosecution for the leaks, should the US ask (a statement that was later scrubbed).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Pierre - Even if it were true that he couldn't be extradited without the go-ahead from Australia (and I'm pretty sure it's not true) if he were sent to Sweden he would have a cast iron guarantee of being sent back to the UK after they'd finished with him, as this is how the extradition treaty works. In order to pass him on to the US the Swedish would have to get the OK from the UK government as well as deciding to send him themselves.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The pucker factor

Assange has probably figured out the walls are closing in on Manning and Snowden and that he'll be next. He can't "sleep on the couch", forever. His days are numbered.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

quite large?

Or just a random blob of binary data...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: quite large?

A binary large object of binary data?

Have you heard of recursive acronym syndrome? AKA RAS Syndrome.

18. codejunky Silver badge

odd

It is very interesting watching what happens to 'heros' who champion our rights and freedoms. It appears that the population they tried to look out for will actually turn on them and accuse them of wrong. The odd behaviour of the various govs towards the 'heros' followed by their interesting lies and actions show that the govs have more than a bit of interest in capturing these men. When captured they are not treated particularly well nor are people connected to these men. Now these insurance files are released I wonder what will happen to those with the files.

Very interesting to watch the loyalties of the population. Not to freedom, not to men trying to protect your freedom, not even to the status quo. Instead people seem loyal to govs they dislike because it is easier to do nothing. And of course I wouldnt see this if they didnt proudly comment on these forums.

19. RichardF

Dead Man's Handle

I would not be surprised to learn in a few days time that the instructions to open this box of "stuff" will be released automatically if someone does not log in to some special little cloud-based app that's currently keeping them secret. So if the preset time passes and no login - tweet - and thre are the instructions and password.

In this way, Snowden and Assange hope to guarantee themselves private internet access where ever they end up.

20. RichardF

390 Gb of spam

Just a guess - this is a backup copy of one of those horrible MS Exchange Server back end files. This is about the size they get when the email system they support starts to grind to a halt and the system admin guys are called in.

If that is the case, it will contain mostly spam. But there may be important emails too.

21. Maty
    Headmaster

A really, really pedantic correction

'In the ancient world, such a tactic was known as a Parthian Shot, after the ancient Persian army's tactic of feigning retreat and then launching a volley of arrows. '

No it wasn't. A Parthian shot was one fired over the tail of the horse while the horseman was retreating. Furthermore, the army in question was Parthian (the name is a hint). The ancient Persians - Achaemenids before the Parthians, and Sassanian afterwards - didn't 'feign retreat and then launch a volley of arrows'. When fighting Romans, their light horse tended to keep out of range of the heavy infantry while firing arrows all the time.

PS Maybe you were thinking of Ovid? 'cui rugis uterum Lucina notauit, ut celer auersis utere Parthus equis. (If childbirth's seamed your belly with wrinkles, then offer a rear engagement, Parthian style.)

Ovid Ars Amatoria 3.786

1. mhenriday
      Pint

Re: A really, really pedantic correction

Excellent, Maty, but you used the wrong icon ; the academic-cap icon is for grammar nazis. Those seeking to correct factual errors in other fields would be advised to use the technical-warning icon. Here, however, I'll be using the cheers icon, as I think your contribution deserves it....

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like